Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convert triple chainset to Double

• 23-07-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭

Quick question...

Shimano Ultegra triple chainset. If I change it to a compact (or standard 53x39) chainset, will i also have to change the front derailer shifter lever?

Anyone do this before?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A triple shifter works fine with a double.

The limit screw will stop it overshifting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lumen wrote: »
    A triple shifter works fine with a double.

The limit screw will stop it overshifting.

Thanks Lumen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

Along similar lines and out of curiosity...

I have a Specialized Secteur Elite Triple with a Shimano FCR-553 crankset with 50 x 39 x 30T.

If I wanted to change that to a compact set-up could I just simply buy a compact chainring (from say here or here) and replace the 39 and 30 chainrings with a 34 say, and adjust the limit screw??

If so, which chainring should I go for to fit the existing 105 set-up? I have a Shimano 105, 10-speed, 12-27t cassette...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The FCR-553 has a 130 mm BCD; compact chainrings are 110 mm BCD.

So no, it won't work. There might be other reasons too, I can't remember exactly how the chainrings attach on a triple.

Balls. Ok, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lumen wrote: »
    The FCR-553 has a 130 mm BCD; compact chainrings are 110 mm BCD.

So no, it won't work. There might be other reasons too, I can't remember exactly how the chainrings attach on a triple.

The 52t and 39t rings bolt to each other with the spider sandwiched between. The 30t ring bolts directly to the inner face of the spider on about a 90mm BCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Single Malt

A triple front mech will not shift double properly because the cage is designed for the capacity to shift three. A triple chainset, used as double, will not have the two biggest advantages of double. The better chainline, and weight saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Whats the point of switching from a triple to a compact? What will you do better having swapped?

BostonB wrote: »
    Whats the point of switching from a triple to a compact? What will you do better having swapped?

I'm not sure of the OP's reasons, but for me I usually avoid going into the 30t and only use the 39t on hills which leads to crossing if I'm in a 39 front - 27 rear, which I probably shouldn't be in. I'm already treating the bike as a double and I shouldn't so was wondering about swapping it over.

It's not to reduce weight or anything else, I just want to stop using the granny gear as everyone seems to call it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

quicker shifting, a weight saving znd we'll all respect him a little more!

• Advertisement

funkyjebus wrote: »
    we'll all respect him a little more!

The part I didn't want to admit to! :)

I'm thinking of changing from a triple to a double as I'm fitter now than i was 3 years ago when i bought the bike. The triple has out lived its usefulness at this stage. I don't use the 30T any more so I thought I would change it to a compact or standard 53x39 (haven't decided yet).

If i had to change the chainset, front/rear deraillers and the shifters, I probably wouldn't bother, but i have a spare rear derailler (short cage) and a spare chain. so that just leaves the chainset and shifters. As the shifters are the most expensive parts, and are compatible with a double, its a straight forward conversion, which makes if a viable option to convert from triple to a double.

TBH i was hoping someone would come on here and tell me it couldn't be done, then I'd have a great excuse to buy a new bike! :D

funkyjebus wrote: »
    quicker shifting, a weight saving znd we'll all respect him a little more!

Advertisement