Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tenants: ever had problems with getting your deposit back? (unofficial survey)

• 23-07-2010 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

This is for interest purposes only, since we get so many posts from people saying the landlord is retaining some or all of the deposit, I'm interested to know how common this is. Granted, it will likely have a bias towards people who've had problems since people who've never had problems are less likely to reply.

So, on with the questions:

1. How many seperate tenancies have you vacated in Ireland?

2. How much was the deposit? (ie, one month's rent, two months' rent etc)

3. Upon leaving, when did you get your deposit back?

4. If the landlord or agent tried to retain all or part of the deposit, what where the reasons given?

5. What steps did you take to recover it?

6. How long did it take to recover it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Xiney wrote: »

Two, currently living in third.

First - One month's rent = €700
    Second - One month's rent = €750
    Third - One month's rent + pet deposit of €100 = €650

First - Day we left, cash (we'd paid rent in cash as well)
    Second - Got a cheque in the post for everything minus €100 about a week and a half later
    4. If the landlord or agent tried to retain all or part of the deposit, what where the reasons given?

Second - was told I'd agreed to leave €100 to refill the natural gas tank for the fireplace at the end of the tenancy (news to me!)

Second - sent them an email that according to Threshold and the PRTB they were not entitled to any of my deposit and therefore they could send me the cheque now :P

Second - probably got it within a month and a half of leaving the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

1 months rent
    off new housemate as other under old lease were re-newing
    n/a
    n/a
    n/a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

1. How many seperate tenancies have you vacated in Ireland? - 1

2. How much was the deposit? (ie, one month's rent, two months' rent etc) - one month's rent.

3. Upon leaving, when did you get your deposit back? - Landlordand I agreed I could use it as last month's rent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭wench

Two

One month's rent

1st - cheque from landlord a week before moving out.
    2nd - one day after moving out, after he had inspected it.

n/a
    n/a
    n/a

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭variety

1 - one week
    2 - one month (€1,000)
    3 - one month (€1,400)
    1 - straight away in cash
    2 - within 3 weeks via cheque sent to new property
    3 - serious issues - got 75% part of it back via cheque about 8 weeks after vacating.
    3 - I've posted on this in this forum already. She was just a moron.
    3 - Met with landlady numerous times. But I eventually gave up after I managed to pry 75% of it out of her hands.
    Never got the rest of it back, but never took it to the PRTB because I never wanted to see her again, really.
    n/a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

First - 1 months rent €850
    Second - 1 months rent - €1600 (shared with 2 other friends)

First - within 1 month.
    Second - Got around €500 back after 2months of badgering.

Second - He claimed that the place was filthy (not a chance in hell! Girl I lived with was OCD about cleaning, and we left the place spotless), that a carpet needed replacing (it was a warn down carpet, nothing wrong with it. Was the same leaving as moving in), and that we broke the washing machine (had the washing machine repaired twice during the tenancy - old machine. Last time was about 6months before we moved out and hadn't had problems since then.)

Contacted Threshold and opened a case with the PRTB.

All in all, 9months. 3months before we got the initial €500 and another 6months to get the rest.
    Little swine made us go through the whole PRTB process, and then just before the actual hearing, decided he couldn't be bothered (because he had no case!!!) and coughed up the rest.
    Disgusting human being. Sent some very abusive emails trying to scare us out of going forward with the PRTB. Jerk didn't know who he was messing with ;)

Have to say, Threshold and the PRTB were amazing and such a big help.
    There really needs to be some sort or Deposit Scheme here though. Far FAR too many people being swindled out of their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,003 ✭✭✭✭Stark

One month's rent in previous tenancies, two months in current

1st time: full deposite, 2nd time: partial deposit.

1st tenancy: Wouldn't get deposit back until new tenant was found.
    2nd tenancy: Money for bills. Money to pay for painter and cleaner.

None.

1st tenancy: 4 months.
    2nd tenancy: 1 month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Both were 1 months rent [was about 750euro]

In both cases used it as last months rent.

n/a

n/a

n/a
    Fiii wrote: »
    There really needs to be some sort or Deposit Scheme here though. Far FAR too many people being swindled out of their money.

+ 1 Renting in the uk currently and there is a deposit scheme in place, means you can't go using your deposit as last months rent but also means you are far less likely to have issues and if you do they get sorted alot quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

This is for interest purposes only, since we get so many posts from people saying the landlord is retaining some or all of the deposit, I'm interested to know how common this is. Granted, it will likely have a bias towards people who've had problems since people who've never had problems are less likely to reply.

four tenancies

one months rent for each one

two landlords didnt give it back and one gave part back still in fourth property

first one we didnt give enough leaving notice was young didnt know any different, the last one tried to keep some of deposit because my OH smokes and LL would have to paint the place although he never painted before we moved in then he tried to blame stains on carpet on us they where there when we moved in and he said place smelled of dog didnt have the heart to tell him how dirty he was and it was actually him that smelled we never had a dog in the apartment
    ended up giving him part of deposit to get himself a bottle of whisky cause in fairness he was alright just chancing his arm

the LL that tried to keep deposit i refused to give him the keys back until i got my money as he had given me they only keys he owed to the apartment i held them to ransom

nearly three weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

1. How many separate tenancies have you vacated in Ireland?

3 tenancies

one months rent for each one

1st partcial
    2nd full
    3rd none

1st; LL kept €80 for cleaning. I had told them we would be out on the fri, but we moved into the new house on the previous monday, so i planned to go down on the thursday to clean. The LL can around on the tue and seen we were gone, then came around on the wed also, and decided to clean the place himself on the thursday, i arrived in after lunch and there he was on his hands and knees cleaning. It was only €80 so i didn't mind he had got it wrong.

3rd; The deposit was €500 and when we moved in the LL had filled the tank with oil (about €450), so i always planned on leaving the deposit for the oil. Its a good job i did, the LL was a complete amateur and tried to charge us for every little thing. The last i heard from him he was going to send me a bill for a bedside locker??? i think he though i stole one, complete muppet.

With the 1st LL i did demand the €80 back seen he cleaned the place before our term was even up. but didn't push it too hard, if it had been more i wouldn't have accepted it.

2nd full deposit received on day of leaving, they didn't even view the place, but it was in perfect nick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement