Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you miss about Limerick when you go away......

Options
  • 23-07-2010 2:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭

I was in Dublin for a few weeks recently and I really missed the Jam donoughts from Quigleys in The Crescent. There so yummy! Best donoughts in Ireland without a shadow of a doubt.

I also really missed shopping at The Edge,which really has some of the funkiest,grooviest clothes in the whole of Ireland.

I missed not being able to tune into West Limerick for some decent toons and chat. Instead I had to listen to poncy Dubliners talking about poncy Dub things.

What things do you miss when you leave The Treaty city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Left 3 years ago and the only thing I miss are my friends. Best jam donuts in Ireland?

Find that very hard to believe. And west limerick radio?? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

The pig on the spit from the Market on a saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Poor Man's Kilkee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

John_Mc wrote: »
    Left 3 years ago and the only thing I miss are my friends. Best jam donuts in Ireland?

F*ck friends and family,it was Quigleys Jam donoughts I missed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

The ONLY thing I miss about it is the familiarity. And I'm not even sure I like that anymore!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

The views of the Shannon, up towards King John's Castle from Thomond Bridge and out towards the estuary from the new bridge. They never cease to impress me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Oh wait! I thought of what I miss..... my pigees! I do miss my little pigee clan when I'm gone. Look forward to getting back to them...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Well all my stuff is here, so that, an my friends/family aside from that, very little tbh.

oh wait, donkey ford's sausages. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

Gingergirl's Brownies. That's all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I lived abroad for a year...there wasn't a single thing that I missed. Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

panda100 wrote: »
    F*ck friends and family,it was Quigleys Jam donoughts I missed :)

Best and most logical compromise is to fill your Friends Holes with Jam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

My bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Nada - if it was`nt for my family and job I`d be gone -Place is a sh**hole.

RonMexico wrote: »
    I lived abroad for a year...there wasn't a single thing that I missed. Nothing.

If Limerick was Nuked* some fine day and then a Genie appeared and said I can grant you one wish - It is absolute and without limitations, it is so powerful it could restore Limerick from being a massive radioactive Crater to its former state, right down to the last broken window in the last derelict Building......

- I'd beg for another Mushroom Cloud just in fcuking case.

* In this scenario I'm also imagining a successful evacuation of all life to safety..... Now píss off all of you Humanitarians, Animal Lovers and Cranks!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

I have travelled alot spending various lengths of time abroad, and what I missed was various irish things, not so much Limerick... only for my friends and family. Then usually when Im back home to Limerick, it seems things never changed! Might have to head away again for a bit.... cant bloody wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Traveled for years, what did i miss about limerick, not 1 thing ....nothing .... Except the family, few friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I leave Limerick everyday I guess and the thing I don't do anymore is get takeaways from all my usual favourite spots because they tend to not make it home fast enough to keep warm.

Except tonight as I am babysitting I had myself a Chicken Hut with Gravy. :D

John_Mc wrote: »

You can take John_Mc out of small-time Limerick but you can't take the small-time Limerick out of John_Mc

- Stop picking on our local Panda Cuzzz :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Wild Onion. and my pillow. its an awesome pillow.

zuroph wrote: »

Would you not just bring her?

61672.jpg

- Could bring the feckin Pillow too ya know????

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

zuroph wrote: »

The food maybe, the snotty service and over familiarity, nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I don't understand people who refuse to leave if they don't like it here, it's not really that hard if you think you only get one go at life.

I've lived out of Limerick a good bit between college, travelling etc and things I've missed would be, in no order.

Swimming in castleconnell on a summer's evening when the sun's going down and the only boats on the river are the veterans from Castleconnell RC.

Pints in the Curragower, Wicked Chicken, Mickey Martins, Dolans, Tom Collins, pubs which are among the best I've ever been to.

Running along the canal or along by the river Strands to Westfields, especially on cold-ish days when you can feel yourself slowly warming up.

The market Saturday morning, preferably followed by browsing for books in O'Mahony's or the second hand place on Catherine st.

Watching Munster away matches in the Corner Flag, going to Munster matches in Thomond.

gigs in Dolans, great venue.

Not strictly Limerick, but running or cycling around Cratloe, the bit when you run to the top of the dirt track above the carpark and it's nearly vertical in places. Also, the view from there (don't usually stop though, next time I'll bring a camera)

Walking across Shannon bridge at sunset. Seeing the sun set at the end of my road for a few days every winter.

Gingergirl's Jams/toasties from Curragower/bang bang chicken from Hamptons.

I guess you can tell I'm a man of simple tastes, give me a decent pub, a good place for a swim or arun and friends to hang out with and anywhere's good imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

I wasnt complaining about living in Limerick whatsoever.... I just dont miss anything in particular when I leave for a while.
    I have a business here and Im proud to be from Limerick :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I wasnt complaining about living in Limerick whatsoever.... I just dont miss anything in particular when I leave for a while.
    Im proud to be from Limerick :)

Not saying you were, I just saying guys like Raiser have a lot of time to spend on here bitching about Limerick, time that might be better used actually changing their lives and getting out of here, if they want to. If Raiser (or anyone) gave the few hours they spend complaining on here everyday towards a goal of leaving, they'd surely manage it? Course, they could also use that time improving Limerick, or their own little area of it, but both options are the harder option.

Big world out there, send us back a postcard etc.

I'm only having a laugh - Bought my Calendar in the €2 Euro Shop and was convinced it was Friday night?????

Apologies - Will ring Work and tell them I'll be 30 minutes late......

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

krudler wrote: »
    The food maybe, the snotty service and over familiarity, nope.

once you get to know them, they're the best people in the world, always a great welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Morninglory

Donkey fords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

The fact that Jack in Charlie's will give you the best Sex on the Beach you'll ever have!

Donkey's :)

The fact I can walk around town with my head in a book and get from point A to point B safely without looking up because I know the place so well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Just my house, family and friends. Unfortunatly everything else about Limerick is replaceable to me :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Madras from the Mughal Emporer, tracksuits tucked into socks, seeing men beating their girlfriends at the Roxboro roundabout. So much stuff.

Advertisement