Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

weed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Where's DryFlyFluff these days? He's been very quiet, maybe he could post on how he knows better than these scientists...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Interesting update. Nice to see optimistic news on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

coolwings wrote: »
    Interesting update. Nice to see optimistic news on it.

Yes true nice to see some positive stuff about it hopefully they wont loose their funding to keep some form of control on this stuff, interesting story about the rod that fell overboard! what are the chances of that happening...a million to one i would say.....

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

I lost a pair of sunglasses overboard near Oughterard recently, let it be known in case they are found..!!!

On a serious note though anything that will prove to be effective would be great.

I know that in Uganda a similar weed infested parts of Lake Victoria, I believe it was treated/controlled by the introduction of a type of beetle that fed on the weeds, not sure what else they fed on though so not going to propose another alien species to tackle another!

Caribs wrote: »
    I lost a pair of sunglasses overboard near Oughterard recently, let it be known in case they are found..!!!

On a serious note though anything that will prove to be effective would be great.

I know that in Uganda a similar weed infested parts of Lake Victoria, I believe it was treated/controlled by the introduction of a type of beetle that fed on the weeds, not sure what else they fed on though so not going to propose another alien species to tackle another!

there has been some talk about introducing one invasive species to eat another....the problem is what does number 2 eat when number 1 is gone???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

there has been some talk about introducing one invasive species to eat another....the problem is what does number 2 eat when number 1 is gone???

Didnt they do that in the Simpsons?? The last species just dies off in the winter. If only it was that easy

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Didnt they do that in the Simpsons?? The last species just dies off in the winter. If only it was that easy

The Simpsons????????????????

Caribs wrote: »

i saw a big fat pike swimming around wearing a pair of new sun glasses....were they yours? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Could well be...will keep an eye out..!!

...and on the weed I think that's one of the big issues with introducing any species to tackle another, its the unforeseen knock on effects. Suddenly you find the bettle eats the weed but also enjoys some other plant life that some other insects the trout feed on like etc etc.

Pity the weed isn't killed off by cryptosporidium, instant fix..!

Advertisement