Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Toast

Options
  • 23-07-2010 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I was wondering can anyone tell me how to make french toast, have had it out for breakfast with maple syrup and bacon but not 100% sure now to make it.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

I think this is french toast :)

whip a few eggs , pour them into a bowl or plate , soak the bread in it and then fry them in the pan!!

easy and takes very little time :)

hope thats the one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

The french toast recipe I remember using from Larousse Gastronomique is something like this:
    - infuse vanilla seeds in milk (i used vanilla extract)
    - let milk cool down to room temp.
    - dunk brioche slices in milk (you can substitute in other types of bread)
    - dunk brioche in beaten egg
    - fry in butter until golden brown
    - drizzle on maple syrup
    - eat

What Blink182rock posted will work fine except I'd add a tiny bit of milk in the egg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Don't forget cinnamon! It makes french toast.... am craving it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

And remember, the better the bread, the better the French Toast (stale good bread is fine)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

be sure to use good eggs..use one egg per slice of toast, and just a dash of full fat milk/cream per slice.

cinnamon is great, mixed with a little sugar and butter....

god i love french toast.

oooh, make it with Vienna roll!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

I make them like this:

eggs and a little milk whisked in a bowl, add a bit of vanilla and a teaspoon of sugar and lots of cinnamon. Dunk your bread (until it soaked well and covered in cinnamon).

Fry and enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

its also nice to try with the brioche you can buy from Aldi/Lidl

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

And remember, the better the bread, the better the French Toast (stale good bread is fine)!
    I always thought that stale bread is better than fresh, it soaks up the egg mix better. Use staleish rolls too, about inch thick slices and really let them soak up the egg rather than just coating them, sear the surface in the pan and finish them in the oven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I just use egg and a sup of milk. Also I quickly dip the bread in - I see a lot of American (I think) recipes call for it to be left soak in - not good imo.

Advertisement