Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noisy CB500 twin

• 23-07-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭

I have a CB500 twin. 50,000 miles, which has developed a rattle in the lower right side of the engine. To me it sounds similar to tappets ( but obviously in the wrong place!).
    It was suggested to me that it could be the primary chain. Except the Cb500 does not have a primary chain. However its oil pump is chain driven and is in the right place.
    I just wonder if is a common problem or if there is some other likely cause?
    By the way, the engine oil is exceptionally clean, no evidence of anything breaking up.

ANy help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

cam chain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

50k.........that's quite a bit of mileage. Has the engine ever been recond? If not then perhaps now is a good time to strip her down and give an overhaul. If you want to just do a repair whip off the side cover and inspect. If you know nothing about bike engines then dont! take it to a mechanic (bike) or ask one of our fellow bikers from boards to take a look...I'm sure if you give your location someone will be your way and you can take it over to them.
    It is very hard to give you a definate answer as to the problem sound without hearing it and looking at it.....you will get all sorts of answers....bearings, oil pump, big ends, tappets, bla, bla, bla.....you know the score. So let us all know your area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭rock22

Thanks lads.
    I don't think it is the timing chain although that too is a little noisy. However I can't be sure.
    Is 50,000 miles high mileage? I would have thought not but maybe I'm wrong. Anyone else got mileage figures.
    The reason for my post was to see if there was a known common problem which gave these symptoms. I guess there isn't so i will take a look. Howver I need to remove clutch and even then Haynes manual gives no wear indications for the chain so unless it is very stretched i will have no way of knowing if that is the problem

Thnaks for all replies

Advertisement