Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Velvet Cupcakes

Options
  • 23-07-2010 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭

Just ate these!! Made them for a friend's b-day and they went down well.
    http://pinchmysalt.com/2009/02/04/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe/

Very easy, and they were really moist. And the icing, was to DIE for!
    Once you get over the 'cups' (see my rant in the forum) measurments :D

I put Reeces Pieces on top, went really well with the icing. And I couldn't find the food colouring, so they stayed chocolatey colour.

Here is my attempt: cupcakes.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

oh they look yummy. I have a receipt for red velvet cupcakes in my Hummingbird Bakery book but haven't tried to make them yet, if they turn out like those I'll be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

Those red-velvet cupcakes look great!

I've heard some very mixed reports about the Hummingbird Bakery book - I'd love to hear how the red-velvet cupcakes from it turn out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

Pixie001 wrote: »
    Those red-velvet cupcakes look great!

I've heard some very mixed reports about the Hummingbird Bakery book - I'd love to hear how the red-velvet cupcakes from it turn out!

I've made the Hummingbird red velvet ones loads of times and they are absolutely delicious. I use a different topping though (just another buttercream icing recipe I have, basic enough one) but the actual cakes themselves are lovely. Actually might give them another go this weekend, yummy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Ollchailin wrote: »
    I've made the Hummingbird red velvet ones loads of times and they are absolutely delicious. I use a different topping though (just another buttercream icing recipe I have, basic enough one) but the actual cakes themselves are lovely. Actually might give them another go this weekend, yummy :P

I'm not trying to be pedantic but if you use buttercream icing then they're really just chocolate cupcakes with some red food colouring, Red Velvet combination is meant to be red chocolate cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, you wouldn't say "I made Mac & Cheese but I used spinach instead of cheese".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭Ollchailin

Oh yeah I know- I made them with the original topping too & they were lovely, but I'm just a bit of a sucker for the buttercream :o

I find cream cheese can be a bit tangy- and I know I could add more sugar, but the buttery taste keeps calling me back..........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I *hate* cream cheese frosting, the aftertaste is cruel. Worst mistake I ever made was to take a bite out of a cupcakes thinking it was buttercream when it was really cream cheese, ugh. Buttercream rocks.

Advertisement