Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running 4 monitors

Options
  • 23-07-2010 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi,

I need to run 4 monitors off my machine - Im just trying to figure out my most cost effect options.

Basically I want to extend my desktop to 3 extra monitors.

I have found that a graphics card to support this is about $300-$400.

I am wondering if it would be be possible to install another graphics card on my machine as this may be cheaper.

My machine is a HP Pavillion Elite HPE core i5 processor with 6GB RAM so pretty good machine.

Any advice would be great

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

ANC wrote: »

I am wondering if it would be be possible to install another graphics card on my machine as this may be cheaper.

what OS do you run?

In all honesty adding another cheap dual gfx card or two should sort you out. You also have the opion of USB adapters to add extra monitors as well. What spare ports do have on the pc internally and what power supply do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 ANC

hey thanks for reply

Got a lot of free slots on machine and got a spare graphics care so will try that!

The PSU is normal 220V one I think.

Running Windows 7.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

*facepalm :p

Of course its 220V, its the Wattage that matters(GPUs are hungry beasts).

Free slots are one thing, but you'll be looking for a PCI-E Slot for a second graphics card. Many commercial MBs only come with one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

as long as youre not expecting to game on it, any 2 gfx cards will allow it. I have an ATI 5850 and an 8800GT and was running 3 screens across the 2 cards, could have had 4 screens if i wanted.

For gaming its expensive( eyefinity needing DisplayPort screen or adapter, or Nvidia surround needing nvidia 260 cards or better and i dont know if nvSurround supports more than 3 screens )

• Registered Users Posts: 82,405 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you can also get Matrox adaptors but they wont be any cheaper.

There is of course also the outputs your motherboard has: I currently could setup 3 monitors without a video card output by using the motherboards HDMI, VGA and DVI outs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Any cheap sub thirty Euro card should do assuming you have the slots for it.

Advertisement