Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When it come to publishing site for client.....

Options
  • 23-07-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

Ok so more questions from me today guys, thanks for all the help so far.

Anyway, I am nearly finished the site I am doing for free for my mate. To a point I have to start thinking about hosting issues. My question is, I (a) let the site use space on an existing server space that I have (will) buy. Or do I (b) get him to buy the domain name and server space? What do designers do once we get this far? Sorry if it is an obvious answer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

Ok so more questions from me today guys, thanks for all the help so far.

Anyway, I am nearly finished the site I am doing for free for my mate. To a point I have to start thinking about hosting issues. My question is, I (a) let the site use space on an existing server space that I have (will) buy. Or do I (b) get him to buy the domain name and server space? What do designers do once we get this far? Sorry if it is an obvious answer.
    If it's an ".ie" domain, then it has to be registered in his name. You can pay for it, but has to be registered to him.
    If it's a ".com" (or most others) then anyone can buy any name and host it.

I would say that if you are just making him the site, and are ready to hand it over, then get your mate to sort the domain and hosting, unless you already have some space on a hosting package where you can park his site.
    I don't think there's really a right or a wrong answer - because this is an arrangement between friends and you made the site as a favour, it's really whatever suits both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I always insist clients buy the domain and hosting. That way if I fall out with them, or vice versa, I can just walk away from them with a clear conscience. Personally I've no interest in holding clients to ransom (in the case of falling out), some designers do though.

Advertisement