Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPad in Waterford ?

• 23-07-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Anyone know if there are any retailers here selling them ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭2Bv¬2B

No-where, PC World said they weren't a priority, I don't think anywhere in Waterford will sell them. Harvey Norman told me September, if anywhere is going to have them I would expect PC World to get it, but not anytime this week I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

2Bv¬2B wrote: »
    No-where, PC World said they weren't a priority, I don't think anywhere in Waterford will sell them. Harvey Norman told me September, if anywhere is going to have them I would expect PC World to get it, but not anytime this week I reckon.

So what PC World are saying is that they are barely hanging in there and can't afford to get the extra stock in.

This seems like really poor business to me. I can guarantee many people from Waterford will travel to the likes of Dublin to buy one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

hardybuck wrote: »
    So what PC World are saying is that they are barely hanging in there and can't afford to get the extra stock in.

This seems like really poor business to me. I can guarantee many people from Waterford will travel to the likes of Dublin to buy one.

I think it's because they weren't designated as a priority store by their head office ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    I think it's because they weren't designated as a priority store by their head office ?

Ok I get you now. There is enough stock in Dublin to last the weekend I hear.

Closest to Waterford according to the Apple site is joyces in Wexford and CompuB in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I'm getting mine when I'm over in the states next week :)

surely you'd get one in cork though ya?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

iPad? Pffft.

Sully wrote: »
    iPad? Pffft.

Troll :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

If I got one for nowt I'd take it:D You'd want a little trailer to carry one of these yokes around with ya.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I bet you all drink latte as well.

• Advertisement

Mocha latte :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

I assumed the relatively large queue outside Carphone Warehouse this morning was iPad (I know it ain't a phone) related but clearly not if noone in the county is stocking them. Wonder what the q was for then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

homolumo wrote: »
    I assumed the relatively large queue outside Carphone Warehouse this morning was iPad (I know it ain't a phone) related but clearly not if noone in the county is stocking them. Wonder what the q was for then?

Probably for the €10 mobile phone that the Star was offering all this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Sully wrote: »
    iPad? Pffft.

I completely agree, ive used them and to be honest their completely useless. Their just a big iphone except you cant take pictures with them. The only use they have is for some light browsing on the Internet. Hell it doesnt even support flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I've been messing around with one a few times over here and they're really not all that cracked up to be. It's like the most expensive luxury item on the planet. It's kinda fun to play with one for a bit but once the fun where's off you'd just go back to your laptop or smartphone.

Ya think? Cause I love my iPhone and could imagine myself using a big one of them over my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Shams wrote: »
    I completely agree, ive used them and to be honest their completely useless. Their just a big iphone except you cant take pictures with them. The only use they have is for some light browsing on the Internet. Hell it doesnt even support flash.

Also portable video and apps with their various uses. And the lack of Flash isn't that big a problem in reality. And you can have a device lying around that will allow instant-on browsing in a more portable manner than a laptop. It's easy for multiple people to use at once, so I know some people who have taken to playing boardgames on it.

Those watching Formula 1 on BBC may also have noticed the presenters clipboard has been replaced with an iPad this year.

If anyone is still looking, Joyces in Wexford have loads in stock, picked up a 32GB WiFi today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Kahless wrote: »
    Also portable video and apps with their various uses. And the lack of Flash isn't that big a problem in reality. And you can have a device lying around that will allow instant-on browsing in a more portable manner than a laptop. It's easy for multiple people to use at once, so I know some people who have taken to playing boardgames on it.

Those watching Formula 1 on BBC may also have noticed the presenters clipboard has been replaced with an iPad this year.

So its lighter than a laptop, and a laptop can do far more for far less $$$.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Like all Apple products its a status symbol, no more no less. A very ****ing expensive one too. Unfortunately Apple is the Gucci of the technology world in my opinion. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

So... you cannot buy an ipad in Waterford.

but have them in Wexford!!

What a funny little town I grew up in.

Shams wrote: »
    So its lighter than a laptop, and a laptop can do far more for far less $$$.

A desktop can do more than a laptop for less $$$ too. But you wouldn't be comparing like-for-like. It's not supposed to be a laptop. It's supposed to be a more convenient simpler device. It's not supposed to replace hardcore word processing and spreadsheets, for example. It's more for consuming or accessing stuff.

As I've seen theorised elsewhere, they seem to be trying to move towards a home with a server and simple portable access devices for the most commonly used stuff in the form of the iDevices and perhaps AppleTV. Stuff like reading web pages and other online delivered content like newspapers and magazines, and playing audio, video and pictures. And of course you can have a "real" computer, laptop or desktop, on the home network for the more serious stuff but which tends to be used less often.

And it's working. I know people who are now doing this. One had even just bought a Macbook, but returned it for an iMac and iPad instead and loves the setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Paddy@CIRL wrote: »
    If anyone is still looking, Joyces in Wexford have loads in stock, picked up a 32GB WiFi today.

How much you pay for it? theres a Joyces in New Ross as well is that the one you got it in?

I think its crazy that i cant buy one in Waterford and i have to go to Wexford to get one!!!

How much you pay for it? theres a Joyces in New Ross as well is that the one you got it in?

I think its crazy that i cant buy one in Waterford and i have to go to Wexford to get one!!!

It's not in New Ross. There's 13 shops in the whole country selling them, with Wexford being the closest to Waterford. Even Apple are not selling them online yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Kind of disappointed that I didn't pick one of these up when I was in the US but it really would have been an impulse buy.

I think it would have suited me perfectly for college as I could have all my course books on it (most are now available as ebooks from some source or another) and use it to take notes (the touchscreen is one of the best to type on and would be quicker than writing) during lectures. I admit that a lot of its advantages and features would be rendered pretty redundant if you already have either an iPod Touch or iPhone.

If you find yourself lugging a heavy laptop around with you all the time, yet don't actually rely on it to do your work, the iPad would be a perfect device to complement a desktop set-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

danjo-xx wrote: »
    You'd want a little trailer to carry one of these yokes around with ya.:)
    Get a baby sling :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Picked one up for €50 today. Think i might have been ripped off.......

ipad-sanitary-towel.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Sorry for the bump, but is there still nowhere in Waterford that sells one? I thought I had heard PC World had started stocking them, but they really are the worst people on the planet for answering their phone! :mad:

You can surely get them online at this stage?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

Daysha wrote: »
    Sorry for the bump, but is there still nowhere in Waterford that sells one? I thought I had heard PC World had started stocking them, but they really are the worst people on the planet for answering their phone! :mad:

PC world had them last month when i was in there,you can buy them off the apple site now anyway.

Advertisement