Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore Surfing Lessons

Options
  • 23-07-2010 3:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

I'm heading to Tramore for a few days next week and I'm hoping to get in a surfing lesson or two.

There are a number of schools and it is difficult to pick out the best one from a website.

Anyone have any experiences they would like to share, good or bad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

There's a fair few alright.Think they're all decent enough but going on reports from people I hear that oceanics is one of the better ones.Never had lessons but have bought gear from them and the staff are very friendly and know their stuff, so I'd recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I did my first surfing lesson in Tramore, but it is already three years ago. Or two and a half. It was Neon's shop. Very good, helped me a lot and I think I am building quite well on what I have learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I got my lessons and hire boards/suits through oceanics. I find them very helpful and friendly so thats my go to place in tramore.

My first lesson was a one on one with Paul(the owner) and I found him to be a great teacher. He started me in stages and had me standing on the board on my first attempt. I was very impressed as at each stage he told me exactly what I needed to do to progress onto the next level. My next lesson was as part of a group and he helped me with my timing and paddling. The price of a one on one though is quite expensive but you get 2hrs with an instructor and I'd recommend it if you want to start surfing and progress quickly. Group lessons are great if you are able to stand up and need some help with the finer points. Or if there's a few of you that want to do it. Its great fun but you wont progress as fast.

In a nutshell oceanics are well recommended by me anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Norrin Radd

Okay, Oceanics it is ...

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 kaawaazoo

I had no experience surfing and went down to the T-Bay Centre in Tramore. It's right on the beach. Four of us went, we just rang that morning and they were great and said come on down. Took us for a quick chat inside, no bulls*it... just relevant stuff that you need to know about how to strap a board to your ankle... how to stand up (in theory)... how not to get hit in the face by your board.

Then we got taken out with an instructor for about an hour... gave us all the basics but didn't get caught up in anything technical... he let us surf away and helped with all the basics... and just made sure we were generally alright... he knew we just wanted a bit of fun. No annoying stuff about angles or foot placement... simple goal was to get us standing on our boards... which we all did eventually! Once he was happy that we were at a level where we at least knew how to get up, he let us head off and surf on our own ... and drop the boards back in when we were done... which wasn't long as we were shattered.

I couldn't say enough about it, really friendly, relaxed and had a great day. Definitely will go back soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

Okay, Oceanics it is ...

Thanks

Hey Norrin.

Not sure if you have already been down but you get 2 people for the price of 1 at Oceanics with this voucher here .

I'm just back from Sligo surfing trip myself but dying to make another weekend of it! Enjoy!! :D

Advertisement