Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trying to publish 1st website

Options
  • 23-07-2010 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

Im a website virgin :D

Ive done a basic design and got it saved in Microsoft publisher. I want to publish it to web using FTP

When I select Publish to the web instead of giving me the option to do this:
    1. In the Save in box, click FTP Locations.
    2. In the list of FTP sites, double-click the site you want, and then double-click the folder where you want to publish your Web site.
    3. Click Save.

It just gives me a "Save as" option and the only option is to save as type "web page filtered".

Is there somethign basic Im doing wrong?

Any help much appreciated :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Zonua

I've never used MS Publisher so tbh I don't really know what you're talking about there, and I don't understand the issue. Do your files have the right extension?

Personally, I use an FTP client to upload files to the internet, it's really easy and only takes a couple of minutes. But it does take a little bit of understanding for your first uploading of a first site. I use Filezilla, which is free to use and to download - it's great.

If you wish to trust me with your password and send me the files exactly as you want them uploaded I could do it for you straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Old Gill

Thanks Zonua. So step by step i should

1 : Download filezilla

2: Input FTP details

3: upload files (web site I created)?

Is that everything? I'll give it a go now

Do I want filezilla server or filezilla client?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Client
    Upload to the public_html folder

Do yourself a favour though, try find something better than MS Publisher - e.g. Amaya, KompoZer, HTML-Kit
    And don't give your username and password to anyone you don't know

tricky D wrote: »
    Client
    Upload to the public_html folder

Do yourself a favour though, try find something better than MS Publisher - e.g. Amaya, KompoZer, HTML-Kit
    And don't give your username and password to anyone you don't know

How do I do this bit? Ive downloaded the filezilla, input my password etc and its saying directory listing sucessful..feel like IM ALMOST THERE !

I used publisher as I am more just experiemnting with how its all done, gettign it online as much as anything. Once this is done I'll look to improve upon it. Found it all very interesting and challenging so far

• Advertisement

I went to transfer then manual transfer but it asks for a remote file??

You are almost there.

Look in the listing on the right, does it have public_html? If it doesn't have a look in the folders there to find it. It's usually that folder that you pop your stuff into. Sometimes, but not often, it's called something else. If you can't find it, tell us what folders you can see when you first login. (No security issues in doing this)

Once you find the right folder, open it, then right-click the files in the left window you want to upload and select upload from the menu.

Ive done that, found the file, right clicked upload, it uploaded 19 files.. what now? where do I say what the website is?

Once you find the right folder, open it, then right-click the files in the left window you want to upload and select upload from the menu.
    Yep - or double click on the files in the folder in the left-hand side. They will appear in the right-hand side - then they should be online!

Also the the folder may not be named public_html - could also be named something like 'root', the name of your website, or, there may be no folders there.

G'luck!

Old Gill wrote: »
    where do I say what the website is?
    Well if you've already logged in using your login details, then they will be specific to your website.

So right now, if your website is www.yourwebsite.com, then check it online now, and if you have uploaded an "index" file, you should see it there.

You can also check my putting in www.yourwebsite.com/
    - and then a file name and extension of any of your files, and they should appear.

• Advertisement

Zonua wrote: »
    Well if you've already logged in using your login details, then they will be specific to your website.

So right now, if your website is www.yourwebsite.com, then check it online now, and if you have uploaded an "index" file, you should see it there.

You can also check my putting in www.yourwebsite.com/
    - and then a file name and extension of any of your files, and they should appear.

ive got 5 domains on my hosting so how do I select just the one i need?

You have to find the folder of the domain you want and then choose the public_html file in that one. (If it's different to the one you uploaded the files to, you should go back and delete those files for tidyness' sake)

E.g. on Blacknight's servers when I log in for the first time I see:
    .installatron
    domains
    Imap
    Maildir
    public_html

but as I have a load of domains, I don't put the files into that public_html but open domains which gives me a list of my domains. I pick the one I want and get:
    .htpasswd
    logs
    public_ftp
    public_html
    stats

I open that public_html and put the files there.

Then check in your browser.

ive got 5 domains on my hosting so how do I select just the one i need?
    What are the folders you see in the left hand side?

@ Tricky, on Blacknight, I must have different set up to you, don't have the folder-lay out as you do. Interesting!

I've had that account for ages. You've probably got a newer one or else a different plan.

You have to find the folder of the domain you want and then choose the public_html file in that one. (If it's different to the one you uploaded the files to, you should go back and delete those files for tidyness' sake)

E.g. on Blacknight's servers when I log in for the first time I see:
    .installatron
    domains
    Imap
    Maildir
    public_html

but as I have a load of domains, I don't put the files into that public_html but open domains which gives me a list of my domains. I pick the one I want and get:
    .htpasswd
    logs
    public_ftp
    public_html
    stats

I open that public_html and put the files there.

Then check in your browser.

when I click the site (footietrips) in remote I get:

cgi-bin
    cp
    dublinreds2_files
    images
    webalizer

Is it one of these? Its the box across from "local site"

Looks like you just drop the files into that folder.

Doesn't look like there's 5 domains though.

Maybe you are able to have 5 but have only actually registered 1.

However, footiestrips.com won't work for a day or two.

Looks like you just drop the files into that folder.

Doesn't look like there's 5 domains though.

Maybe you are able to have 5 but have only actually registered 1.

However, footiestrips.com won't work for a day or two.

How come? so it could be workign already?

also how do i drop them in do I highlight or drag the folder across?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

I'd say your files are in http://www.footiestrips.com/dublinreds2_files/ ?

What's the homepage file name? Add that file name to the end of the link above

ie. if it's called test.html you should go to the url http://www.footiestrips.com/dublinreds2_files/test.html

cormee wrote: »
    I'd say your files are in http://www.footiestrips.com/dublinreds2_files/ ?

What's the homepage file name? Add that file name to the end of the link above

ie. if it's called test.html you should go to the url http://www.footiestrips.com/dublinreds2_files/test.html

Its just saved as dublinreds2 . Ivetried clicking whole folders , parts of folders etc but just keep gettign this:

www.footietrips.com

Its saved as Documents/Dublin Reds.pub but when I put this in it says "isnt a directory"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Its just saved as dublinreds2 . Ivetried clicking whole folders , parts of folders etc but just keep gettign this:

www.footietrips.com

Its saved as Documents/Dublin Reds.pub but when I put this in it says "isnt a directory"

Where does the .pub come into it ? That's not a suitable file type for a website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I remember using publisher to make websites, new kids on the block were storming the charts at the time...

Anyway I think you need to choose "export as website" or something from the file menu, this will generate all the HTML, CSS and images (poorly). At the moment, you are just trying to upload the publisher file which can't be read by browsers. From what I remember also the rendering is quite bad and makes the site pretty difficult to maintain, the fact you need to generate it each time and then edit the HTML to fix the issues, maybe some of that has improved since.

As others have recommended, you should really look at other options and move away from MS publisher...

Advertisement