Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France World Cup squad suspended

• 23-07-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8849972.stm
    The French Football Federation has suspended all 23 members of France's World Cup squad for their next game.

More to follow.

Delighted!! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Daft. The FFF should resign en masse because they're just as responsible. A token one-match ban is just a PR excercise aimed at deflecting attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

New France coach Laurent Blanc requested that no member of the squad be selected for a friendly against Norway in Oslo on 11 August.

France failed to win any of their three group games in South Africa and scored one goal.

The campaign was marked by bitter infighting and a one-day training strike by the players.

More info

Blanc has made the request. Fair play to him, those players need to be disciplined

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Daft. The FFF should resign en masse because they're just as responsible. A token one-match ban is just a PR excercise aimed at deflecting attention.
    A fight to the death with the FAI please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm sure Blanc was heavily leaned on to make this call. It's stupid, all it does it create ill will between the squad and the manager before he's even started the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

I say Blanc has hugely influenced this decision, he said a while ago in the press that he was strongly thinking of not selecting any of those at the WC for the Norway match. I say the FFF jumped on this statement to make it seem like they were taking a tough stance when in fact with or without a ban the 23 players would not have been selected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The french players will no doubt be devastated at not having to travel to norway and instead have to make do with lying in the sun for 2 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

The players didn't give a shit during the World Cup so if anything they'll be glad not having to worry about a poxy international just as the season starts.

I can see a lot of 'meh' reactions coming from the 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

No stopping Carrasso for number one jersey now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

433555353-soccer-under-21-international-friendly-england-v-france-city-ground.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Great chance for the lads that play that friendly. Blanc has a great chance to try about plenty of new players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Stupid in my opinion. Blanc should be trying to turn a new leaf in a new era. By punishing the sins of the previous regime he is really doing himself no favous at all.

SDTimeout wrote: »
    No stopping Carrasso for number one jersey now!!
    Except for the fact that he is one the 23 banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

The players won't care, their clubs will be delighted. Stupid move if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Platini set to come out of retirement for one more match perhaps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Dempsey wrote: »

karma is alive an kicking. :)

France should stop playing Football, and stick to rugby tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭dan719

karma is alive an kicking. :)

France should stop playing Football, and stick to rugby tbh

:rolleyes:

I really thought people would stop this rubbish. What a pathetic little nation we can be sometimes.

dan719 wrote: »

I really thought people would stop this rubbish. What a pathetic little nation we can be sometimes.

You can have your high horse but I rather be on the ground with the likes of Richard Dunne on this.

They deserve to be mocked and the Irish should be front of the line to do so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This stuff is just as bad IMO.

There's nothing in the world wrong with having a team you see as you rivals or nemisis or whatever and taking a bit of pleasure in their hardships.

It's a part of sport that adds to the fun. Posts like the above are mainly looking for thanks tbh.

EDIT: LOL at your signiture as well - you're probably worse about a team from the same country as you than most people are about France.

You can have your high horse but I rather be on the ground with the likes of Richard Dunne on this.

They deserve to be mocked and the Irish should be front of the line to do so

Richard Dunne mocking the likes of Thierry Henry? Because that makes sense alright. :rolleyes:

Richard Dunne mocking the likes of Thierry Henry? Because that makes sense alright. :rolleyes:

Yep

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8847259.stm

Republic of Ireland defender Richard Dunne has expressed his pleasure at France's shambolic 2010 World Cup exit.
    "If you're going to cheat to get there, you might as well try when you are out there but they didn't even do that!"

Would you not agree with that?

• Advertisement

Yep

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8847259.stm

Republic of Ireland defender Richard Dunne has expressed his pleasure at France's shambolic 2010 World Cup exit.

Would you not agree with that?

I just think the idea of Richard Dunne laughing at a player the calibre of Henry, who has more ability in his little finger, is quite hilarious personally.

Just out of interest, how many countries can we see as our enemy? England, France,who else should we "hate" and engage in schadenfreude with?

I just think the idea of Richard Dunne laughing at a player the calibre of Henry, who has more ability in his little finger, is quite hilarious personally.

Just out of interest, how many countries can we see as our enemy? England, France,who else should we "hate" and engage in schadenfreude with?

Henry and co. humiliated themselves and their country in front of the world, it is hilarious. Skill is irrelevant in this argument. Dunne and co. would have given it their best and I'd been happy with that, win loose or draw.

Is it wrong to have rivalry in sport? Not at all, its part and parcel of it.

You sound like you dont even follow sport

Henry and co. humiliated themselves and their country in front of the world, it is hilarious. Skill is irrelevant in this argument. Dunne and co. would have given it their best and I'd been happy with that, win loose or draw.

Is it wrong to have rivalry in sport? Not at all, its part and parcel of it.

You sound like you dont even follow sport

I don't follow sport? You don't even know me. I follow and play (or have played over the years);

cricket
    american football
    athletics
    skiing
    Rugby
    Soccer
    GAA
    tennis
    badminton
    swimming

The French f*cked up. I don't feel the need to take a vindictive pleasure in that. The Hand of Henry is in the past. Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't follow sport? You don't even know me. I follow and play (or have played over the years);

cricket
    american football
    athletics
    skiing
    Rugby
    Soccer
    GAA
    tennis
    badminton
    swimming

The French f*cked up. I don't feel the need to take a vindictive pleasure in that. The Hand of Henry is in the past. Get over it.
    So you played American football. What position?
    And what position is soccer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

They can stay the fúck away from Nasri, don't need him getting injured in a friendly!!!

There is nothing for me to get over. Yes, the hand of Henry is in the past, but I'll continue to laugh at what happens to them today.

I'm not forcing my point of view on anyone but you are and you sound like a right pompous prat in the process.

Skiing? Was just while on holiday or did you actually do competition?? I think I caught a glimpse of that on Euronews one night, I can have that on my list...:pac:

eagle eye wrote: »
    So you played American football. What position?
    And what position is soccer?

Tight End (It wasn't exactly the NFL).

GK

And may I ask what business is it of yours?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Richard Dunne is a clown. He's the one up on his moral high horse when he himself is a hateful and bitter man.

Even before the France Ireland match Dunne was starting **** like saying that Domenech was a fool and a disaster (maybe he was a disaster, but it certainly wasn't Dunne's place to be making comments like that).

Dunne was also saying stuff like how the French were supposedly dismissing Ireland as being very easy before the match even though no matter how much I tried I couldn't find that anywhere.

He had very bitter things to say about Henry after the match, and now this? He's a joke.

I think it's only the minority who are still going on about the Henry incident, and they're an embarrassment and a disgrace to this country.

Every player tries to do as much as they can in every match. Everyone does it. You can deceive players, why not deceive referees?

Even if you did think it was cheating and unethical, it doesn't even make any sense to root against France. The fact that France went out early just showed Ireland up for how **** they were to begin with. So even on a THEORETICAL level, even if you think they DID do something wrong it is still profoundly stupid to have rooted against them. If France had gotten to the final we could have said "that should have been us".

Tight End (It wasn't exactly the NFL).

GK

And may I ask what business is it of yours?
    Well out of interest actually because you are a student in tcd or am I wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

After the Louth/Meath fiasco recently, where the beneficaries of a horrendous refereeing decision refused to entertain the possibility of a replay, and the governing body refused to order one, who are we to condemn the French for cheating? People in glasshouses and all that...

We would have done the exact same thing in their positon, and it's foolish to think otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Jordan Berbatov

Will we ever be able to have a conversation about anything France related without bringing up that fateful night in Paris? Not taking sides here, it still hurts, just tired of people arguing over it.

On the France team being suspended. I think its ridiculous tbh. I don't think everybody can be blamed for what happened there. Personally I can see a good reason to suspend a few players but not the whole squad.

I think it does actually help Blanc in the long term though, he can have a look at a bunch of players in one go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Einhard wrote: »

We would have done the exact same thing in their positon, and it's foolish to think otherwise.

This is so true; Suarez was the bad boy of the WC but again most players would have done the same thing in his position

greendom wrote: »
    This is so true; Suarez was the bad boy of the WC but again most players would have done the same thing in his position

But Suarez didn't even cheat at all. He accepted the agreed penalty for it gladly. Cheating is trying to do something and get away with it, not doing something that doesn't seem like what a soccer player usually does. What Suarez did was like putting be ball out for a corner kick.

Not that I for one second go along with the silly hate brigade against France, but if there MIGHT be something negative to be said for what Henry said, there's nothing at all you could possibly say against Suarez.

Just because a player handling the ball isn't something you'd automatically associate with soccer doesn't mean it's not something that should ever be done or is "cheating", especially if you concede the AGREED penalty.

But Suarez didn't even cheat at all. He accepted the agreed penalty for it gladly. Cheating is trying to do something and get away with it, not doing something that doesn't seem like what a soccer player usually does. What Suarez did was like putting be ball out for a corner kick.

Right...so, Henry gets caught and penalised appropriately and Suarez gets away with it at the World Cup...who's the cheat then?

• Advertisement

L'prof wrote: »
    Right...so, Henry gets caught and penalised appropriately and Suarez gets away with it at the World Cup...who's the cheat then?

Then it would be Suarez who would have cheated. Henry would have only tried to cheat.

Maybe you can claim that Suarez attempted to cheat but didn't get away with it. If you don't believe in the punishment well take it up with FIFA, I happen to agree with that punishment.

Then it would be Suarez who would have cheated. Henry would have only tried to cheat.

Maybe you can claim that Suarez attempted to cheat but didn't get away with it.

Both their actions are the same. One of them got away with it, the other didn't. Both their teams profited from their actions.

Not that I for one second go along with the silly hate brigade against France, but if there MIGHT be something negative to be said for what Henry said, there's nothing at all you could possibly say against Suarez.

Just because a player handling the ball isn't something you'd automatically associate with soccer doesn't mean it's not something that should ever be done or is "cheating", especially if you concede the AGREED penalty.

Ok the incidents weren't identical but Suarez got an awful lot of stick at the WC. Destroying the African dream, just as Henry destroyed the Irish one.
    And I realise that he was punished wheras Henry wasn't but do you think that if the Ref hadn't spotted the handball the Uruguayan would have pointed it out to him ? Of course not

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

What gets me is that Henry was the one who cheated and yet the whole France team got the abuse for something that Henry done and the officials missed. There were 11 French players on the pitch and the one who cheated, Mr Henry himself has even retired from international football and yet some will continue going on about the French being cheats.

If you ask me, Ireland were lucky that France didn't have a decent manager in place when we played them otherwise their collection of star studded players may have managed an improved performance and result against us.

Looking at them in the World Cup, everybody could see how in bits they were and we certainly didn't do much against the shabby team even if it was such a good time as they were there for the taking.

Now the French will have to listen to some Irish go on and on about the hand of the frog because of one person who cheated and dodgy refereeing and the lad doesn't even play for the team anymore.

Both their actions are the same. One of them got away with it, the other didn't. Both their teams profited from their actions.

Yes, except Suarez profited from it after receiving the punishment for it. Henry did not receive any punishment for his handball. So Suarez didn't cheat, he accepted the agreed punishment for it. You ever turn over one of your cards over in monopoly to mortgage it? It's reduced to half its value (IIRC) and you can't get rent out of it, it's called sacrificing.
    Ok the incidents weren't identical but Suarez got an awful lot of stick at the WC. Destroying the African dream, just as Henry destroyed the Irish one.

I agree that it destroyed the African team, but it's tough. In particular the Suarez' save was not a mistake on a part of the officials, so the Henry incident was "worse".
    And I realise that he was punished wheras Henry wasn't but do you think that if the Ref hadn't spotted the handball the Uruguayan would have pointed it out to him ? Of course not.

I would agree that he probably wouldn't have pointed it out to the referee. However, you can't condemn something based on what you think they would or would not have done in a hypothetical situation. I would assume Suarez wouldn't make it known to the referee (and I would hope he wouldn't so I know the world isn't full of such complete baby fools), but you cannot make a call on someone's ethics based on what YOU THINK THEY WOULD HAVE DONE in your own hypothetical situation and call them unethical for it.

• Advertisement

Yes, except Suarez profited from it after receiving the punishment for it. Henry did not receive any punishment for his handball. So Suarez didn't cheat, he accepted the punishment for it.

He accepted the punishment? What choice did he have??? You can only judge their actions, not the failings of the referee and his assistants. They were both as bad as each other!

He accepted the punishment? What choice did he have??? You can only judge their actions, not the failings of the referee and his assistants. They were both as bad as each other!

Ehh.... nobody is faulting the referee on what he did, he gave the correct punishment. What did you expect him to do, award the goal anyway?

Ehh.... nobody is faulting the referee on what he did, he gave the correct punishment. What did you expect him to do, award the goal anyway?

He did award the goal anyway, maybe I wasn't clear enough, but here you go:

He accepted the punishment? What choice did he have??? You can only judge their actions, not the failings of the referee and his assistants (in the Henry incident). They were both (Henry and Suarez) as bad as each other!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Oh this is just great news. Love to see what's happening to French football after le cheat.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Dammit Carrasso :(

Richard Dunne is allowed to be spiteful he lost his chance to go to a world cup.

People on boards.ie however...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

How many of that 23 have retired anyway. At least 2...

So any what will the team look like

I can think of Frey, Diarra, Nasri and Benzema as starters - who else
    Fanni, Ben Arfa, Saha perhaps ?

I think dropping all the 23 was a bit too drastic. Not all the 23 deserved to be punished, I think any of the players who brought the team into disrepute and were leading the player revolt deserve to be punished.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3264/france/2010/07/23/2038337/french-revelations-who-will-be-called-up-now-laurent-blanc

This article goes through all the players in contention for the friendly match

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I think dropping all the 23 was a bit too drastic. Not all the 23 deserved to be punished, I think any of the players who brought the team into disrepute and were leading the player revolt deserve to be punished.

You can't start picking and choosing though, even though some were more guilty than others, they all went on strike at the end of the day.

If they had picked out individuals it would only have increased divisions in the camp. That's the last thing they'd have wanted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement