Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France World Cup squad suspended

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Kiwi_knock wrote: »

Forgot Benzema wouldn't be available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

greendom wrote: »
    You can't start picking and choosing though, even though some were more guilty than others, they all went on strike at the end of the day.

If they had picked out individuals it would only have increased divisions in the camp. That's the last thing they'd have wanted.
    Ah in my head I know you are right. I just did not want Jeremy Toulalan to be punished, an utter professional and the only one in the French squad I respect

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

I'm sure they were really looking forward to playing a friendly against Norway just before the start of the soccer season, after being kicked out of the world cup. Punishment? More like a holiday for them.

To say that a team like France doesn't bother trying at the world cup is ridiculous. If they didn't bother trying at the world cup, then they'd never have gone to all the qualifiers and friendlies in the first place. They make far more money with their clubs and could do without the possibility of injuries.

It would be more economical for them to never play international football. They do it for the fun of it and pride of representing their country. Maybe you can say they don't bother during the qualifiers and especially the friendlies, but to say they didn't try at the world cup is just farcical. Maybe they didn't bother even more trying in the play-offs either, what about that Dunne, wouldn't that make logical sense? Clown.

I think sometimes we give footballers credit for being way more intelligent than they actually are. Many are just dumb with a lot of talent, in some ways it can be helpful to becoming an international footballer because they give up school very early and concentrate on it instead of lingering on at school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The whole squad suspension thing really does stink of a botched PR opportunity/idea by some FFF executive.. I know blanc was talking about something like this though..

When something this drastic happens, i.e. the training incident, the manager, in this case Blanc, needs to have a meeting with his new players and clear the air, tell them his future plans, get a team spirit going.. Some sort of opportunity to put the past behind them.

Having them all suspended is getting their back up from the very beginning when he needs to be winning their trust and favour. The players will love not playing a meaningless friendly and will just make a joke/media circus out of the match.

For me anyway, they took a very wrong approach. This will blow up in their face again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

surely its the players who need to win the managers trust more so?! they behaved appalling during the world cup, i for one think its good that 'something' has been done, even if it is only a token gesture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Richard Dunne is a clown. He's the one up on his moral high horse when he himself is a hateful and bitter man.

Even before the France Ireland match Dunne was starting **** like saying that Domenech was a fool and a disaster (maybe he was a disaster, but it certainly wasn't Dunne's place to be making comments like that).

Dunne was also saying stuff like how the French were supposedly dismissing Ireland as being very easy before the match even though no matter how much I tried I couldn't find that anywhere.

He had very bitter things to say about Henry after the match, and now this? He's a joke.

I think it's only the minority who are still going on about the Henry incident, and they're an embarrassment and a disgrace to this country.

Every player tries to do as much as they can in every match. Everyone does it. You can deceive players, why not deceive referees?

Even if you did think it was cheating and unethical, it doesn't even make any sense to root against France. The fact that France went out early just showed Ireland up for how **** they were to begin with. So even on a THEORETICAL level, even if you think they DID do something wrong it is still profoundly stupid to have rooted against them. If France had gotten to the final we could have said "that should have been us".

We've all moved onto their world cup performance and the fall out from that. Try to keep up! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

Don't think it is the worst idea in the world, it disiplines the world cup squad for their actions, and via giving 23 players their chance , may make the world cup squad uneasy about their place, so they may work harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Blanc names his team

France squad to face Norway:

Goalkeepers: Douchez (Rennes), Ruffier (Monaco).

Defenders: Cissokho (Lyon), Debuchy (Lille), Fanni (Rennes), Mexes (Roma), Rami (Lille), Sakho (PSG), Tremoulinas (Bordeaux).

Midfielders: Cabaye (Lille), L.Diarra (Real Madrid), Matuidi (Saint-Etienne), Mvila (Rennes), N'Zogbia (Wigan Athletic), Nasri (Arsenal), M.Sissoko (Toulouse).

Forwards: Ben Arfa (Marseille), Benzema (Real Madrid), Briand (Lyon), Hoarau (PSG), Menez (Roma), Remy (Nice)

It should be interesting! Some players there are good enough to get into most National Teams around the world,will be good to see if they take their chance

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Gillington wrote: »
    Blanc names his team

France squad to face Norway:

Goalkeepers: Douchez (Rennes), Ruffier (Monaco).

Defenders: Cissokho (Lyon), Debuchy (Lille), Fanni (Rennes), Mexes (Roma), Rami (Lille), Sakho (PSG), Tremoulinas (Bordeaux).

Midfielders: Cabaye (Lille), L.Diarra (Real Madrid), Matuidi (Saint-Etienne), Mvila (Rennes), N'Zogbia (Wigan Athletic), Nasri (Arsenal), M.Sissoko (Toulouse).

Forwards: Ben Arfa (Marseille), Benzema (Real Madrid), Briand (Lyon), Hoarau (PSG), Menez (Roma), Remy (Nice)

Should be good as there are quality players in there and they will have a point to prove as you can expect a good few of the 23 excluded will not be returning to a France squad anytime soon. That squad should be good enough to beat Norway too imo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fairly **** selection of players but it will be interesting to see if they can play as something resembling a team. They should have a one-of match between this lot and the WC squad to see if any of them can win back their places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Fairly **** selection of players but it will be interesting to see if they can play as something resembling a team. They should have a one-of match between this lot and the WC squad to see if any of them can win back their places.
    That'd be a great idea, the FAI could offer to host it in the Aviva :pac:

On another note, Douchez in goal and Fanni in defence :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,279 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I wonder why French coaches never pick Frey? This seems he is 6th / 7th choice now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Surprised that Frey, Givet, Kaboul and Flamini didn't make it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I wonder why French coaches never pick Frey? This seems he is 6th / 7th choice now

He made one mistake once and has been blacklisted since, it seems. Insane, really. Flamini is another strange omission (or else the inclusion of Italy-based Mexes is strange if you look at it that way).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

More punishment for the French, Anelka's been given an 18-match ban, Evra's banned for five

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8893705.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    More punishment for the French, Anelka's been given an 18-match ban, Evra's banned for five

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/8893705.stm

Evras ban is good news for Utd. Plenty of rest during international breaks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Didn't Anelka retire anyway. Glad to see Toulalan only got a 1 match ban. Should be Nasri's chance to shine while Ribery and Gourcuff are out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Didn't Anelka retire anyway.

He did say he'd never again associate himself with the FFF.

It's just laughable at this stage, the whole thing. Any Irish fans looking for revenge should really let go at this stage, they've disgraced themselves enough.

Advertisement