Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I covered

Options
  • 23-07-2010 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

I paid for a holiday and flights in May by credit card, would I be covered if the volcano or a strike happened, I don't have travel insurance, no point...they say that its a known issue they will not pay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

You can get insurance that will cover for the volcano and strikes. Look around and don't be so lazy, secondly insurance covers for more than Volcano's and strikes. What about other delays, airline or Travel operators going out of business, your stuff getting robbed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

To answer the original question... it depends on how you booked your holiday.
    If you bought a package holiday then you have protection regardless of cause, even "Act of God" type events. However, if you bought flights and accomodation separately then you are not covered for volcano or strikes or any other exceptional circumstances. Airlines would only be liable for flight cancellations under their control and not for accomodation etc. so if your hotel goes bankrupt, hard luck

Read this and the booklet it links to.
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/News_+_Research/volcanic-ash/volcanic-ash-consumer-rights.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

You can get insurance that will cover for the volcano and strikes. Look around and don't be so lazy, secondly insurance covers for more than Volcano's and strikes. What about other delays, airline or Travel operators going out of business, your stuff getting robbed

no help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

skullzxr wrote: »
    I don't have travel insurance, no point...they say that its a known issue they will not pay

Insurance covers against a wide range of things, not just cancelled flights. To travel anywhere without travel insurance is just plain stupid. Check various insurance policies to see what they cover or don't. Your credit card may or may not give you any protection too, you'd have to check with your bank/provider first.

Advertisement