Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Calibre Would You Go For ?

Options
  • 23-07-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭

Just want a few opinions on this one: My mate owns a .22LR and a .223 like myself and is intersted in getting another calibre, like a .17, .22 Hornet, .22 Magnum or the such.
    Considering the .22LR is ideal for rabbits and the .223 he has is ideal for the foxes, do you lads reckon theres any point in getting another small calibre rifle ?
    Theres no point in saying that he should get a bigger calibre then the .223 as he doesnt have the cash nor the time to get deer shooting permissions etc. etc.
    Do you lads reckon its worth getting another rifle in the inbetween calibres ? All answers appreciated lads !!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

HMR for longer range bunnies.

.204ruger if he wants to change the .223 and try something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

johngalway wrote: »
    HMR for longer range bunnies.

.204ruger if he wants to change the .223 and try something else.

Would you get a longer range with a .17HMR then with a .22LR ?
    Never shot a .17HMR so know feck all about them !!

I've read a bit about CZ 452s what calibre are they and are they easy to get ammo for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

To be honest I think he would be better served investing the money he would spend on a new rifle into ammunition and practice with what he has. They are two great calibers that will do the jobs he wants.

He could also spend the money he has planned for a third rifle on better scopes for what he has. A really good scope on his 223 would make life easier.:cool:

This is all just what I would do in that situation... if I wasn't going to get a stalking rifle.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

I should never have sold my 223 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Thomasofmel

vixdname wrote: »

I've read a bit about CZ 452s what calibre are they and are they easy to get ammo for ?

It's a .22 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Would you get a longer range with a .17HMR then with a .22LR ?
    Never shot a .17HMR so know feck all about them !!

CZ Rifles
    . Most dealers will have ammo for common calibres.

HMR will shoot farther than .22lr yes, prefers calmer weather for the longer shots though.

I've seen multiple bunnies shot with a moderated HMR at the one warren entrances, where as I never managed that with my .22lr, as the thud of the bullet impact scattered them. The impact noise of the HMR bullet must be different as they seem to remain confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

That's one nice piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

It's a .22 ;)

I have a 452 American in 17hrm, bit I think they may come in another caliber; I'm not sure though. Ammo is easy to get I use Hornay V-Max ballistic tips 17g. My CZ seems to like them, I pay 16 a box, prices seem to range from 13 to 22 a box, I can't remember the name, but the last time I was in a dealers I use, he show me a box of 17g ballistic for 13.50 a box, he said people where giving good reports about them. I also used Hornady 20g XTP's their about 19 a box, though I found that they often go straight through bunnines whereas the ballistics tipped don't. I think some lads use the XTP's for foxes.

That's one nice piece of kit

If only I could have all the rifles I want:D:D:D

I watched more comps being won with 1710's where fellas had serious Target rifles and the anschutz 1710 blew them away, with biffo's and Buffalo's shooting them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

The longer I am going the more convinced I am that the .22lr is the best calibre ever made!

I collected my new CZ 452 on Thursday July 21 2010 and I have been relearning why I love this calibre. Did a bit of shooting on the irons, mounted a scope Friday and zeroed in (a lot) on Friday evening. A joy to shoot, quiet, accurate, this calibre has killed more animals for me than any other calibre I've ever owned.

With a .22lr and a .223 I would be spending on better scopes, training, more ammo!

If ye have to have a new gun I would look at the .220 Swift, I love this thing for long range bunnies and foxing! Ammo is pricey enough but for making the shots I have to it's worth it. I've the Remmy Sondero as stock condition, changed nothing and she's a good gun.

The .22lr CZ 452 is going to be relieved in the barrel channel and bedded.

I can see myself doing a lot of shooting going forward, compared to the odd .270 session I've had over the last ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭shaft666

I have one of these myself and can't fault it, deadly accurate and flat to 160 yards

shaft666 wrote: »
    I have one of these myself and can't fault it, deadly accurate and flat to 160 yards

Great for places where the longest shots are the 160 mark.

There is a place for all rifles of all calibres.;)

Advertisement