Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fix a computer

• 23-07-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,

Im looking for someone to fix a laptop i have.

Basically the 3 USB ports on the laptop are broken. Is there any easy fix? Can this section be replaced?

Can anybody suggest someone that might take a look at this for me?

Tony

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

tonyagrey wrote: »
    Hi,

Basically the 3 USB ports on the laptop are broken. Is there any easy fix? Can this section be replaced?

Tony

Mate of mine fixes computers. I sent you a private message with his number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

If the laptop has a PCMCIA slot on it you could just pick up a PCMCIA USB Card, relatively cheap and easy solution

e.g. http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3851427/art/power-star/pcmcia-usb-4p-controller.html

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Hi,

Tony

All the USB ports are broken? What happened, do you know? I fix laptops/PCs, but its a rare one that USB ports are broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭janisjoplin

Hi,

Tony

similar thing happened to me,2 of my usbs on my laptop stopped working,brought to a place in town that does repairs,they charged me 80euro and stuck 2 peices of sellotape over the usb slots and told me they couldnt fix the usb that they were f*cked,i was not a happy camper,80euro for sticking a piece of sellotape over a usb slot!!!!!!!
    hope ya get it sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sully wrote: »
    All the USB ports are broken? What happened, do you know? I fix laptops/PCs, but its a rare one that USB ports are broken...
    It must be a hardware fault then. ;) Seriously though, it can happen and from what I remember of USB design, it can be iffy to fix at component level. The replacement USB card might be a better solution rather than having to go mucking about with the laptop's PCB. Of course it could be something as simple as a bent pin on one of the USB sockets. Most PC and laptop repair involves changing cards, CPUs, fans, screens, keyboards, power sockets, PSUs and harddrives. Very few repair shops would have the gear, parts and expertise for working at printed circuit board (PCB) level.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭limericklassy

similar thing happened to me,2 of my usbs on my laptop stopped working,brought to a place in town that does repairs,they charged me 80euro and stuck 2 peices of sellotape over the usb slots and told me they couldnt fix the usb that they were f*cked,i was not a happy camper,80euro for sticking a piece of sellotape over a usb slot!!!!!!!
    hope ya get it sorted

Thats funny..

Advertisement