Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do vet's usually charge?

Options
  • 23-07-2010 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

My cat is seriously ill.....I don't drive though and money is very tight, how much would it set me back?....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Do you know what is wrong with the cat? It would depend what it was. If the vet examined the cat it might be about €50, then the price of medication etc. and if the cat needed to stay overnight it would cost more, and if the cat needed follow up visits or operations or anything then it would be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

How long is a piece of string? It's impossible to say, really, but just a consultation will end up costing €30-40 and that's before any medecines or anything like that. If it needs x-rays, overnight stays or other stuff it could end up costing a whole lot more.

You don't say where you are, but if you're in Dublin you could try contacting the Blue Cross .. they have mobile clinics that will see animals and refer them to vets if needs be and they absorb some of the costs for needy owners.

Where do you live? I've heard people on here talking about bluecross vets that cost less.

If the cat is seriously ill and you really can't afford to treat it, then maybe contact your local SPCA or another animal shelter and see if they would take the cat and treat it, if you really can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Thibor

Some vets can work out payment arrangements with you too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I'm in the west....sadly money is a factor currently. I'd say the cat is dying to be honest, wasn't really aware of her deterioration for a while.....becoming very thin and eating very little. Very poor and weak body language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Contact your local animal rescue shelter or charity, they might be able to help you in some way, or put you in contact with someone who could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

If you think your cat is dying you really should be going to your local vet NOW.......

Explain u cant afford to pay full bill now.
    Sorry if that sound harsh but the poor little guy is probably in pain.

Justask wrote: »
    If you think your cat is dying you really should be going to your local vet NOW.......

Explain u cant afford to pay full bill now.
    Sorry if that sound harsh but the poor little guy is probably in pain.

I have to agree. I understand that you don't have the money, and at least you are looking for help so do care somewhat. Is there any way you could afford to pay over a few weeks or so if the vet let you?

If not then I would either take the cat to be put to sleep or take it to a shelter if they would take it and treat it. (Preferably a shelter.)

Advertisement