Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition for Logo Design

Options
  • 23-07-2010 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi Everybody,

My band are currently looking for a logo design. So we decided to put it up here and we will pick best logo submitted, the prize/payment for submitting best logo is €150.00 and as much references and publicity we can throw your way over the radio, our myspace, hotpress magazine, and on our album artworks etc.

Mail for a brief and details

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Moving to the relevant forum. May also grab popcorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MGilly84

Just a quick note to any of ye who have mailed me on this, were expecting a turnaround time off first submissions within 7 days

Also all further mails to be directed to jonesandsmalltownlovers@gmail.com

Sorry Rope.

Didnt realise this was outside of the posting regulations. is it okay to continue with the tread as we have some genuine interest in PM's?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Has this thread a green light? What's the name of the band?

Wow was expecting a fairly decent amount of submissions on this but only recieved two, one of which I felt was an insult to submit (Very poor quality) I mean we are talking 150 quid prize here and loads of publicity for a small amount of work. Clearly cash is no longer cow in this country. :mad: Will push boat out till August 16th as a deadline, but then I take cash and competition elsewhere!

Mail jonesandsmalltownlovers@gmail.com for a project brief if interested in taking part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

People don't want to work for free for a small chance of getting paid, hardly surprising MGilly84? and 150 in a lot of peoples eyes would be an insult to a good logo designer. How do you know it's a small amount of work? you would be about as qualified as I would be to know what's involved in making a great song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Question: would you write and record me a song for €150? I'll pay you if I like it.
    Just saying. You should be realistic as to why you haven't been inundated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

MGilly84 wrote: »
    Wow was expecting a fairly decent amount of submissions on this but only recieved two, one of which I felt was an insult to submit (Very poor quality) I mean we are talking 150 quid prize here and loads of publicity for a small amount of work.

You get what you pay for. Professional designers wouldn't do the type of work your looking for for anywhere near a 150 euro so people most likely to "enter" are students or enthusiastic amateurs which will of course bring the quality level down. You want a professional grade logo then pay for professional level design.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Hi Everybody,

My band are currently looking for a logo design. So we decided to put it up here and we will pick best logo submitted, the prize/payment for submitting best logo is €150.00 and as much references and publicity we can throw your way over the radio, our myspace, hotpress magazine, and on our album artworks etc.

Hi MGilly84,

Nice idea to get a better quality logo than you might come up with yourselves, and your offer of 150 euro to get someone to put a little effort into the design gets a thumbs up from me.

I can see where the people that are being critical of the idea are coming from, 150 euro for a professional to design a logo isn't a large amount of money.

I have always believed that if you're going to be critical of someone elses ideas at least try and offer some thing positive yourself.

If you were to offer the potential winner of your competition a royalties option on the logo that they design for you, it might generate more interest and give the proffessional designers a reason to engage their brains.

What I'm suggesting is, if you and your band become successful the designer would get a percentage of all merchandise sold that features their design.

Regards, and keep on strummin'

Fries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Jamyjamz

Hi Everybody,

Curious to see if you actually picked a logo in the end and if so what is it? I just qualified from 4 years of Graphic Design so pretty interested.

Gimme a shout if ye still haven't chosen anything, i'd love to have a go at it.

Cheers...
    Jamie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

yeah whats the band name

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

The usual protocol is with professional freelancers is that you look at their previous work, agree to work with them and make out a contract. The they wil do the work and as long as its within the agreements of the contract, you have to pay them.

Logos are more work than you think. Like has been said, no one wants to work for free, on the off chance of getting money, also theres nothing to stop you just taking the logo and running ( no offence, but you can't be too careful)

I think you need to go to a freelance site and recruit their

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Noodleworm wrote: »
    The usual protocol is with professional freelancers is that you look at their previous work, agree to work with them and make out a contract. The they wil do the work and as long as its within the agreements of the contract, you have to pay them.

Logos are more work than you think. Like has been said, no one wants to work for free, on the off chance of getting money, also theres nothing to stop you just taking the logo and running ( no offence, but you can't be too careful)

I think you need to go to a freelance site and recruit their

That's completely against the idea of this thread, and the idea of having a competition in the first place.

They may not have money, or the time to go meeting designers / design company just for a logo.

The idea is for a competition for the logo design, if you don't like it, steer clear. I really don't see why people have such an issue with it.

Plus, if you don't want someone to run off with the logo - watermark it, send as low res, and send the full logo on receipt of payment.

And on that note, if this is still open, I'll throw a couple together for the OP if I find the time!

The idea is for a competition for the logo design, if you don't like it, steer clear. I really don't see why people have such an issue with it.

Maybe because the OP has posted in the music forums saying they're band is staying clear of similer compeitions for bands because "why bother ones ass playing for a corporation which is making a mint out of it, promoting their produce and filling the publicans pocket" So if they don't think their own band should get involved in music comps why should designers on here get involved in their logo design comp?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

ztoical wrote: »
    Maybe because the OP has posted in the music forums saying they're band is staying clear of similer compeitions for bands because "why bother ones ass playing for a corporation which is making a mint out of it, promoting their produce and filling the publicans pocket" So if they don't think their own band should get involved in music comps why should designers on here get involved in their logo design comp?

Whatever their views on signing and being contracted to a record company, its a far stretch of the imagination to associate it with a 1 time logo design.

These comps are allowed in this forum, and as long as that's the case, there really is no point in in causing an issue over it - no matter their views on the record industry.

Whatever their views on signing and being contracted to a record company, its a far stretch of the imagination to associate it with a 1 time logo design.

These comps are allowed in this forum, and as long as that's the case, there really is no point in in causing an issue over it - no matter their views on the record industry.

I have no issue with people posting comps of this nature on boards but to come back to the thread and complain about the number and quality of submissions isn't right. As a number of people have stated you can't expect professional designers to get "excited" about these types of comps, the people most likely to submit are students and hobbists - you want a professional logo design you hire a professional designer. You can't afford one and opt to do a "competition" fine but then you take what you get and don't insult the enteries people submit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement