Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

competition..

Options
  • 23-07-2010 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭

...http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055955144

maybe the judges should be discouraged from just picking the first five to post in future?
    Perhaps I'm cynical and they were the best 5 entries, but its a bit blatant.

Also, a mod of the forum the competition is being hosted in winning said competition? I've no problem with this (being a mod) but it might be something you want to clarify for posters to avoid any accusations of fixing...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭Darragh

Hey Zuroph

Yep, that's right - that's what happened - and I've asked Discover Ireland for an explanation.

Regarding a moderator winning, in the Terms and Conditions I put
    The competition is open to all members of Boards.ie

which means Moderators are completely entitled to enter and win. :)

Thanks for bringing it up - we're looking into it and I'll update you when I have a reply.

Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

actually maybe this should be in feedforward.

Nah, it's fine - happy to be open and transparent about our competitions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Just to avoid any possible arguments in future, I'd clarify "members", does it include admin etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I thought also that the competition was with regards what you posted and not where it landed in the rank of posts, that said I of course congratulate all the winners and hope they all enjoy their weekends away!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Yeah, I'm not sure why we were asked to give a story and led to believe judging would be on that...

The results should stand, of course, anything else would be horribly unfair to those already told they have won but had I known it was on a first come, first served basis rather than the picking of a good story, I wouldn't have bothered wasting my time doing that. :(

Oh, and I don't see why Mods or Admins shouldn't be allowed to enter comps run by third parties...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I agree that the results of course should stand but would have to query the way in which the terms of the comp were presented. We were told in the opening post that the more detail we put into our post the better the chance we had of winning.
    This however seems to have not been the case.......

Again, I don't want to seem as I'm sour about the people who have won cos I'm honestly not but as the poster above me has said I'd have preferred if the method of picking the winners was made clear:)

It's the first boards comp I've ever entered and I wonder if all comp winners on boards are chosen in this manner or was it just a Discover Ireland thing and were the boards admin unaware that it was this way for this particular competition???

EDIT: Just re-read Darragh's post and realise ye didn't know. No problem

Hiya, it shouldn't have been on the basis it was, if it was - I'm waiting until Monday to find out what happened.

I thought the best posts - not the first posts - would win. I'll be back when I find out more.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I know I'm going to sound like a prick here, but this isn't the first time this kind of things has happened with holiday competitions and it was the same story before with the third party picking winners and the boards side not knowing what happened and people who enter getting pissed off.

I know I'm going to sound like a prick here, but this isn't the first time this kind of things has happened with holiday competitions and it was the same story before with the third party picking winners and the boards side not knowing what happened and people who enter getting pissed off.

You're correct. It's the second. In over a 15 months of competitions, this is number 2. :)

As I said both on the thread and above, I'll be back on Monday when I have an answer to this.

Darragh

• Advertisement
Advertisement