Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is God to you?

Options
  • 23-07-2010 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

To me, God is when:

1) You want the best kid to win but secretly you're hoping that the kid whose dad couldn't afford a decent tennis racket (racquet?) to win.

2) When you're paying on the bus and you see some poor divil haring from a hundred yards away and they aren't going to make it, so you drop your bus-fare on the floor (to the disgust of the busdriver and the cosily ensconced clientele) and by the time you pick it up they've made it.

3) When you don't fight your corner and realise afterwards that you saved people you love a needless pain.

4) AH answer: When you're standing outside Coppers at three o'clock in the morning wondering how the hell your wages still aren't in your account, and you're contemplating the six mile barge home ,cos you can't afford a taxi; when suddenly an angel appears( the girl you were talking to at the bar earlier in the night and whose existence you had forgotten) and asks if you'd like to come back to their place for a nightcap.
    You walk out the following morning having had a snog, a shag she insisted upon, having made a good impression on her friends, cooked breakfast, and still in time for the first race and directions from the lads at the bar as to how to get home.

So, anyway, where does everyone else see God? Would be particularly interested to hear from the atheists.

Btw, if you're an atheist and you're struggling to carry a 36" television down four flights of stairs and a christian turns to you and says," Do you want a hand with that mate?" What do you say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

an invisible being in the sky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Btw, if you're an atheist and you're struggling to carry a 36" television down four flights of stairs and a christian turns to you and says," Do you want a hand with that mate?" What do you say?

Yes. But that doesn't really have anything to do with god. :confused:
    And why would it matter if he was christian? He's just offering to help,

An amazing blowjob.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

To me gods are:

A huge swizz designed to take money from the pockets of the vulnerable.
    An excuse to wage horrific wars because They call the deity by a different name.
    Made up by stone age people to explain the weather
    The reason why my mother tries to drag me out of bed on Sunday mornings when I visit, necessitating me swearing at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

ITT: Thinly veiled attack on atheism from someone who can't grasp the difference between "morality" and "God".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Someone who takes orders and does my dirty work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

who the fúck goes to copper face jacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

All the things that make people want to do good, improve the world around them, and accept that they can do those things

Anal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Just read my OP and sound like a cnut. She was cool, so were her mates and she didn't want to come to the pub the following morning. She was just using me, the horny bitch. Played pictionary too:), after jenga had to be abandoned:(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

A prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

nothing existent

To me, God is when:

2) When you're paying on the bus and you see some poor divil haring from a hundred yards away and they aren't going to make it, so you drop your bus-fare on the floor (to the disgust of the busdriver and the cosily ensconced clientele) and by the time you pick it up they've made it.
    that's not a god, that you doing something nice.
    3) When you don't fight your corner and realise afterwards that you saved people you love a needless pain.
    How do you mean? Not standing up for yourself sounds like cowardice to me.
    I say, 'Thank you very much for your help'. I make no enquiries of anyone about their religious affiliations because I see it as their own business, and it's something I don't care about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HereNorThere

He is my Father, Comforter, and Savior.

In other words, He is my Everything. :):):)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd say yes please thanks...

The way I view myself as an athiest would be in line with the way someone else may view themselves as being apolitical, it doesn't mean they are an anarchist...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

You've got a pretty ****ed up view of atheists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

All the things that make people want to do good, improve the world around them, and accept that they can do those things

Anal

Bend over to receive the Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

kylith wrote: »
    To me gods are:

An excuse to wage horrific wars because They call the deity by a different name.
    The reason why my mother tries to drag me out of bed on Sunday mornings when I visit, necessitating me swearing at her.

The dictionary called, they like your style.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Nothing

The dictionary called, they like your style.
    Aw, shucks :o

Op, if someone of another religion asked you if wanted help moving your tv, what would you say?

• Advertisement

Yes. But that doesn't really have anything to do with god. :confused:
    And why would it matter if he was christian? He's just offering to help,

If that person didn't believe in God, then surely, given the fact that we live in a capitalist society, he should have seen you struggling and seen it as an opportunity to make money,"I'll give you a hand with that if you give me a fiver".
    You're right. It has absolutely nothing to do with being a christian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

So, anyway, where does everyone else see God? Would be particularly interested to hear from the atheists.

do you really think atheists, those armed with reason and logic as opposed to blaming everything they don't understand on some unseen warmonger, are going to tell you that we do in fact see god somewhere?

i see him in the bible, advocating rape and murder, casting plagues upon people who don't believe in him. I see him as the reason why the largest paedophile sex ring on earth continues to go unpunished. i see god as the excuse given for the church's encouragement of the spread of AIDS.

mostly i see him as the lazy man's excuse to avoid research.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

If that person didn't believe in God, then surely, given the fact that we live in a capitalist society, he should have seen you struggling and seen it as an opportunity to make money,"I'll give you a hand with that if you give me a fiver".

i am sorry to stop you there but,have you looked at organised religions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

A distant relative, the coolest one coz he lives up in the sky, he must be on cloud nine:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

So what you're saying is, anyone who doesn't believe in God isn't capable of doing a favour for someone without expecting something in return? Athiests are just money grabbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

STFU.

I'm a devout atheist, and i help people all the time without charging them for it. that's the most ridiculous, self-defeating point any bible-basher can make.

you need god to be good - so if there was no god, would you go out raping people and murdering them, OP?

kylith wrote: »
    To me gods are:

Surely that's religion. God has very little time for religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Anyone mad enough to try carry a 36" telly down four flights of stairs by themselves would start praying to someone after the 2nd flight anyway.

ITT: Thinly veiled attack on atheism from someone who can't grasp the difference between "morality" and "God".

What is the difference?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Anyone mad enough to try carry a 36" telly down four flights of stairs by themselves would start praying to someone after the 2nd flight anyway.

Plus you don't need religion to be smart enough to use the elevator

Advertisement