Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is God to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I never lost faith as I never had it.

I could just as easily say the majority of believers would not believe if they opened themselves up to logic and reason and actually educated themselves on the subject.
    i dont need educating on nothing,i have been educated,you just arent reading what i said at all.I lost faith and regained it after 10 years of not believing.And nothing you say will change it.
    I can give you a rational, reasonable (and hopefully kind) explanation for everything you have said which does not have reference to a supernatural being.

I will not do so, as you have not asked for one, and I respect your wishes, as you seem to respect other peoples.

But if you want one, let me know.

Thanks .One of the best things that ever happened to me :) I always respect other peoples faith or lack of faith.I dont agree with churches mosques synagogues or how they are taught etc... But will go to a church not for the priests although some of them are very decent people.But i do stand by what i believe in.

When someone dies in your family are they just dead and nothing more for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

They may have been great scientists and philosophers despite being people of faith.

Well of course, that wasn't my point though. I meant that not only the 'illogical' can believe in a God.

And it's one hell of an assumption to say that the only reason they had faith is because they were afraid of been persecuted.. especially considering the work they were doing in rubbishing scientific ideas which were held for centuries, going against their peers and directly questioning the church

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

And what about all of the logically minded people who do or did believe in God?

Some of the best scientists and philosophers in history were people of faith

They compartmentalise. They cannot do their science while being religious. A scientist does not conduct experiments and hypothesise that X or Y will occur based on observable phenomena and throw in the proviso of Z, that god may intervene and change the results for kicks and giggles. When using logic, faith is ignored and visa versa.

In times gone by it would have been a crime to suggest you were an atheist, anyone of any standing would have been shunned and considered a scandalous blasphemer to suggest they were anything other than one of the faithful. I'd be surprised to find any declaring atheism in those days, whether they were actually atheists or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

Wow, you people are so immature.

God doesn't exist, folks....just like Santa Claus. He was made up to scare little children.

Now grow up, please.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Well, it's no coincidence that the majority of Scientists are atheists. Of course there will always be those who slip through the cracks. :)

I don't know exactly how many famous philosophers were atheist or not tbh. I'm sure a lot were and a lot were not, although things were a little different back then.

My comment was aimed towards those who don't really practice any kind of religion, the laymen who just ticks ''christian'' on a questionnaire because he/she happened to be baptized. Someone who may say they believe in God but really gives it no specific thought and just lives their life day by day regardless. I'm sure if these people were sat down in a room and just given logical arguments for and against the existence of God in fine detail, a lot of them would not believe.

• Advertisement

Wow, you people are so immature.

God doesn't exist, folk....just like Santa Claus.

Now grow up, please.

the true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara. At the time the area was Greek and is now on the southern coast of Turkey. His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to the those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.
    http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Something to do with the only way of getting an education??

caseyann wrote: »
    Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to the those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.

There is already a pedophile thread in AH.

There is already a pedophile thread in AH.

Sorry i debunked your criticism santa claus didnt exist :(

i dont need educating on nothing,i have been educated,you just arent reading what i said at all.I lost faith and regained it after 10 years of not believing.And nothing you say will change it.

Fair enough, you have faith. How strongly do you feel about this faith? Do you follow the word of God? Do you obey him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I like how you are all trying to find reasons other than that of an actual faith for those people who did believe in God.. 'afraid of being shunned', 'for the education'.

Do you have any proof that these people were lying about believing in a God, as seen as proof is what you're all about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

When someone dies in your family are they just dead and nothing more for you?

Good question, different thread perhaps!

the true story of Santa Claus begins with Nicholas, who was born during the third century in the village of Patara. At the time the area was Greek and is now on the southern coast of Turkey. His wealthy parents, who raised him to be a devout Christian, died in an epidemic while Nicholas was still young. Obeying Jesus' words to "sell what you own and give the money to the poor," Nicholas used his whole inheritance to assist the needy, the sick, and the suffering. He dedicated his life to serving God and was made Bishop of Myra while still a young man. Bishop Nicholas became known throughout the land for his generosity to the those in need, his love for children, and his concern for sailors and ships.
    http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=38
    Seriously?

Did... did you just try and prove the existence of Santa?

Fair enough, you have faith. How strongly do you feel about this faith? Do you follow the word of God? Do you obey him?

I am completely devout,i told you i dont follow teachings by the church and the book.

Seriously?

Thats who he is based on so he did live ;)

Good question, different thread perhaps!

Maybe you should have a go at it :)

I am completely devout,i told you i dont follow teachings by the church and the book.
    So you're a devout Christian who doesn't follow teachings from the Bible or the Church?

So how does it feel to know you're going to hell?

I didn't realise God approved of cherry picking.

I like how you are all trying to find reasons other than that of an actual belief for those people who did believe in God.. afraid of being shunned, for the education. Do you have any proof that these people were lying about believing in a God, as seen as proof is what you're all about?

Do you have any proof they weren't? Nobody is "trying" to do anything. Given the well known correlation between scientists and atheists, added to the consequences of not conforming to religious norms of their day, it is hardly an outlandish assumption.

The very fact a faith has to be compartmentalised in order to carry out logical, rational work would suggest it is neither of those things.

Okay, ladies and gentlemen, Donkey Oaty is about to announce his conclusive findings of this thread and indeed extensive studies of the subject of whether or not God exists. Cue drumroll:

It's not about logical argument, but all about religious experience.

If you've had it, you can't define it and you usually can't be swayed by arguments.

If you haven't had it, you won't know what it is and won't be swayed by arguments that it is a real phenomenon.

I think that it can be explained and defined by reasons other than reference to a supernatural being, but there you go.

So you're a devout Christian who doesn't follow teachings from the Bible or the Church?

So how does it feel to know you're going to hell?

I didn't realise God approved of cherry picking.

Man wrote the word,and man changes the word for his own ends.
    Nothing i have can be taught its felt.

I remember once a saying,god is for you who you wish him to be,and see him in your heart your own way.or something along them lines.View him through your own eyes and heart.

• Advertisement

Thats who he is based on so he did live ;)
    Sorry, just to confirm, are you saying you believe in Santa?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I like how you are all trying to find reasons other than that of an actual faith for those people who did believe in God.. 'afraid of being shunned', 'for the education'.

Do you have any proof that these people were lying about believing in a God, as seen as proof is what you're all about?

"as seen as"? :confused:
    Anyway, I'm not trying to find any reasons for anything. If people are going to go on about how all great people of history were theists, well, it has to be said not necessarily. Not that we'll ever know one way or the other.

I think that it can be explained and defined by reasons other than reference to a supernatural being, but there you go.

Well that's it in a nutshell isn't it. Until there is a way of verifying and separating "religious experience" from "elvis experience" or "alien abduction experience" then I'm not sure why one should get to demand respect and irreverence and the other is assumed only worthy of psychiatric care.

Man wrote the word,and man changes the word for his own ends.
    Nothing i have can be taught its felt.

I remember once a saying,god is for you who you wish him to be,and see him in your heart your own way.or something along them lines.View him through your own eyes and heart.
    But the Bible is the word of God written through man?

Do you believe God created man? The universe?

Well that's it in a nutshell isn't it. Until there is a way of verifying and separating "religious experience" from "elvis experience" or "alien abduction experience" then I'm not sure why one should get to demand respect and irreverence and the other is assumed only worthy of psychiatric care.

Numbers. That's your answer.

Seriously?

Quite possibly.

It's a pity no one can do the same for god.

But the Bible is the word of God written through man?

Do you believe God created man? The universe?

I believe god created the universe and some of the book can be taken as gospel and other embellished for mans own end.And man was created by nature that which god created.

I believe god created the universe and some of the book can be taken as gospel and other embellished for mans own end.And man was created by nature that which god created.
    So which part of the book do you believe?

Let me guess... all the good stuff?

Numbers. That's your answer.

Not much of an answer, tho. Throw in fear of death, never seeing loved ones again, oh noes this can't be just it and so on and a mass delusion based on something (someone) more that cheats death would be fairly easy to get going to such a suggestible audience - as many of the cults that have recruited huge numbers are testament to.

• Advertisement

Not much of an answer, tho. Throw in fear of death, never seeing loved ones again, oh noes this can't be just it and so on and a mass delusion based on something (someone) more that cheats death would be fairly easy to get going to such a suggestible audience - as many of the cults that have recruited huge numbers are testament to.

It's the right answer though. They can't lock up everyone who believes in God because there are so many of them.

It is also the reason why belief in God is being seriously discussed on a forum like this.

Advertisement