Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is God to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

So which part of the book do you believe?

Let me guess... all the good stuff?

And what is god but good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

caseyann wrote: »
    And what is god but good?
    *facepalm*

I refer you to the Old Testament.

There is really no point in discussing this with you anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Do you have any proof they weren't? Nobody is "trying" to do anything. Given the well known correlation between scientists and atheists, added to the consequences of not conforming to religious norms of their day, it is hardly an outlandish assumption.

The very fact a faith has to be compartmentalised in order to carry out logical, rational work would suggest it is neither of those things.

I have faith in their word ;) If they say they believed in god then who am I to question that held belief? Plenty of modern scientists are religious too I'm sure.. there's no rule that says a scientist must not believe in god. Again you're assuming that everyone's individual definition of god is that which the church itself applied to it.. when in fact it could be completely pantheistic and in no way a 'creator god'

bluewolf wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm not trying to find any reasons for anything. If people are going to go on about how all great people of history were theists, well, it has to be said not necessarily. Not that we'll ever know one way or the other.

I wasn't 'going on' about anything, my post was a reply to the statement that no logical person could believe in a god, which is simply untrue.

I wasn't 'going on' about anything, my post was a reply to the statement that no logical person could believe in a god, which is simply untrue.

Kinda twisting my words there slightly. I did not say that.

Not much of an answer, tho. Throw in fear of death, never seeing loved ones again, oh noes this can't be just it and so on and a mass delusion based on something (someone) more that cheats death would be fairly easy to get going to such a suggestible audience - as many of the cults that have recruited huge numbers are testament to.

I have no fear of death,I have my loved ones around me in my heart always.And I will see them again those who passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I never lost faith as I never had it.

I could just as easily say the majority of believers would not believe if they opened themselves up to logic and reason and actually educated themselves on the subject.

Do not confound empiricism with logic.

Here are my conclusions on the thread. People are deliberately twisting and misusing words to aid in their hate propogation. And that's what I see you people as doing, trying to convince idiots to feel the same animosity and superiority towards religious people.

That or you actually don't know how to speak.

Notice I haven't mentioned religion, I haven't said "religion doesn't do that". Preaching hate is bad. Preaching superiority or that some class of people are less than you is bad. So In my opinion, this trend of "new atheists" is a bad one. Just as other things are bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Again you're assuming that everyone's individual definition of god is that which the church itself applied to it.. when in fact it could be completely pantheistic and in no way a 'creator god'

Agreed. We need to know what these people believe in before we disprove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I have no fear of death,I have my loved ones around me in my heart always.And I will see them again those who passed.

You may be mocked for these thoughts Caseyann, but as an atheist let me say that many of us non-God-botherers, while expressing it in different terms, can identify with this sentiment.

You may be mocked for these thoughts Caseyann, but as an atheist let me say that many of us non-God-botherers, while expressing it in different terms, can identify with this sentiment.

I dont mind been mocked,thanks though for that :)

Kinda twisting my words there slightly. I did not say that.

Apologies.. I think there's quite a bit of it going on in this thread though :P

• Advertisement

raah! wrote: »
    Do not confound empiricism with logic.

Here are my conclusions on the thread. People are deliberately twisting and misusing words to aid in their hate propogation. And that's what I see you people as doing, trying to convince idiots to feel the same animosity and superiority towards religious people.

That or you actually don't know how to speak.

Notice I haven't mentioned religion, I haven't said "religion doesn't do that". Preaching hate is bad. Preaching superiority or that some class of people are less than you is bad. So In my opinion, this trend of "new atheists" is a bad one. Just as other things are bad.
    You're more than welcome to quote me ''preaching hate'' or ''preaching superiority'' or even twisting words to aid my ''hate propagation''. In the meantime I'll go back to ignoring your posts, like I did about 7 pages ago.

The first statement was made in relation to the quoted piece. The rest was general. You should learn the difference between general and specific statements.

Ignoring my posts, very good.

The first statement was made in relation to the quoted piece. The rest was general. You should learn the difference between general and specific statements.

Ignoring my posts, very good.
    My apologies, considering you referred to atheists as ''you people'' while at the same time quoting my (an atheist's) post I just naturally assumed you were including me with the other atheistic hate propagators with a superiority complex?

But it's cool, now I know that you were just making sweeping, unfounded generalizations instead.

Being a member of a particular generalised group does not mean you share all of those characteristics, it makes it likely that you do. Uniformity of nature and all that.

I call it induction by enumeration, based on what's plain to see anywhere, including this thread. The hatred part was perhaps abit strong to attribute to the general case. That's what science is based on. I'm sure you think you're a scientist.

There's no need to talk to each other anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Peppapig

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Just that the spelling is mixed up with surplus letters and one pinched - but that must be the devil at work eh? :pac:
    :confused:

I'm sure you think you're a scientist.

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I never lost faith as I never had it.

I could just as easily say the majority of believers would not believe if they opened themselves up to logic and reason and actually educated themselves on the subject.

How suitably patronising! - I wouldn't hold the assumption that atheists are more rational than theists, or that atheists are actually more educated about religion so that might be the reason why I would find it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

That would answer the question of whether or not I would like to be enslaved stoned or killed. I wouldn't but If I enslave and stone people I can profit from such actions. Wheter or not they could be considered sane is completely irrelevant to whether or not the word objective can be used.

Laws are an example of a creation of a moral system, laws are very similar to religious doctrine. Following laws is less arbitrary than unsupported morals. In this thread people have shown laws in ireland come from religion. A good time line would be

Empathy-moral doctrines based on religion/something like religion- Laws based on religion- laws not based on religion.
    You're mixing things up a bit. You're confusing the logic that one individual can use to endorse slavery/stoning and the logic that a society can use. Yes one man can profit from slavery but a society cannot because there must be the enslavers and the enslaved. A system that endorses slavery inherently results in the profit of one person at the expense of another who does not benefit in any way so the only way such a society can exist is by making the aforementioned exceptions, eg enslaving white people is wrong but not black people. It is not possible for a society to define a general rule that there is nothing wrong with slavery and survive, at least not without perpetual war
    There's no point in aruing about god given morality with me, I do actually disagree with jakkass about a universal conception of morality. Though I will say at least that his view of morality is consistent.

Anyway back to the point, it seems you are trying to derive a moral system empircally and then call it objective. This isn't possible.

You can support a moral system in it's runnings. For example, ultilitarianism is supported by knowledge of what causes harm to people, but while we can say "this definitely kills someone, following form the precepts of utilitarianism it's wrong", that doesn't make the initial definition of wrong any less arbitrary.

It really is ridiculous to suggest otherwise. Arguments about "this definitely harms society, so it's objectively wrong" hinge on people valuing society. Again Reasons for this have to be provided, and when you go back far enough, you end in a tautology, or just an arbitrary definition of good bad, or things of value, and things not of value.

To go even further, for a staunch materialist, determinism kicks in. So even to start talking about morality doesn't make sense, because culpability comes in. Why is a complex collection of atoms more valuable than a less complex collection? Again to answer these questions you must make value judgements.

To think you can form any moral system without starting from value judgements makes no sense. Anyone who says that they have derived objective moral statements from science is wrong, science doesn't tell you those things.

It is tempting for me to just start posting loads of definitions, which I already have, but people might construe that as insulting. But you are just using the the word objective wrong, and the word morality wrong.

Perhaps objective is the wrong word to use. You say "arguments about 'this definitely harms society, so it's objectively wrong' hinge on people valuing society" and this is quite true. That humans value living alongside one another for their mutual benefit is not an objective, never changing fact. But until you can find a human being who does not value interaction with any other being in any way other than as a means of taking something they want, who treats every single person as they would their worst enemy and who is quite happy to live in a cave on their own feasting on whatever human meat they could get without being killed, you're just arguing semantics. No our ethics are not objective in the way gravity is but as social animals we all share a set of common values, e.g. "i don't want to die", and these common values that are universal within (sane) members of the group can be used to make laws that may not be universal, objective and magical enough to satisfy the needs of the religious but still allow a society to function quite well without killing themselves off. That human beings value society is not an objective fact but it is as close to a universal value as it is possible to be. Those who don't are generally considered mentally ill

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You're mixing things up a bit. You're confusing the logic that one individual can use to endorse slavery/stoning and the logic that a society can use. Yes one man can profit from slavery but a society cannot because there must be the enslavers and the enslaved. A system that endorses slavery inherently results in the profit of one person at the expense of another who does not benefit in any way so the only way such a society can exist is by making the aforementioned exceptions, eg enslaving white people is wrong but not black people. It is not possible for a society to define a general rule that there is nothing wrong with slavery and survive, at least not without perpetual war

I stated deliberately that I was talking about the individual. At the end of the day it is up to the individual to justify their beliefs. And I think that's what this has been about.

And I do think these other practical conserations are off the point, this has been an argument about describing certain things in a certain way. It's not "just" semantics. The words you use are very important, just as using the wrong mathematics to describe physical phenomena will confuse things, using the wrong words here will confuse things and lead to contradictions.

But anyway, the downfall to naturally occuring "this helps us live together" morality, is that it doesn't apply to pepole outside of the tribe. Enslaving these "others" is fine. As people have done, greeks, romans, americans, africans. Everyone has done it. Well, maybe not Irish people :D

In these systems the whole of society can easily benefit from having slaves do the manual work and them do none.
    Perhaps objective is the wrong word to use. You say "arguments about 'this definitely harms society, so it's objectively wrong' hinge on people valuing society" and this is quite true. That humans value living alongside one another for their mutual benefit is not an objective, never changing fact. But until you can find a human being who does not value interaction with any other being in any way other than as a means of taking something they want, who treats every single person as they would their worst enemy and who is quite happy to live in a cave on their own feasting on whatever human meat they could get without being killed, you're just arguing semantics.

Again I think semantics are very important. It's ridiculous to suggest that such a person has never existed. Just think about people who do shootings in school due to how they were treated. Also hermit monks, also live outside of things, perhaps in caves.

An easy to observe example would be a small group of people who have defined society at large as "others", don't respect the law or other people outside of their group. Groups of highway robbers are one such example. There are millions of examples
    No our ethics are not objective in the way gravity is but as social animals we all share a set of common values, e.g. "i don't want to die", and these common values that are universal within (sane) members of the group can be used to make laws that may not be universal, objective and magical enough to satisfy the needs of the religious but still allow a society to function quite well without killing themselves off. That human beings value society is not an objective fact but it is as close to a universal value as it is possible to be. Those who don't are generally considered mentally ill

We are back to the subjective standard, but you can't ignore that an individual need not accept it.

I can live in a society, pretend to be good and reap the benefits from that like sex and friendship and what have you, but then go around doing bad things and not getting caught. Unless I'm a coward.

Now, I've said a million times, yes many people will be fine without ever questioning why they follow laws or anything like that. Some people like reasons for why they act. And if you thikn that makes them mentally ill, then I'll gladly place myself amongst the class of people who are mentally ill.

It is contradictory though, to go about saying "ooh, why won't pepole listen to reason, why aren't they rational?". And then give out when people apply it to morality. And it becomes evident very fast that any rational enquiry into why one should act in a certain way will demand an arbitrary (or derived from something else arbitrary) set of values/morals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It's the right answer though. They can't lock up everyone who believes in God because there are so many of them.

It is also the reason why belief in God is being seriously discussed on a forum like this.

Of course that is how it stands and I am not suggesting the religious require locking up, it's just not a great reason to give faith any more respect that alien abductees or those visited/talked with/looked after by elvis. Until an individuals faith and deistic interactions are not always related to the religious ideals indoctrinated by family or general local society then they are easily explained as anything but other-worldly.
    I have faith in their word ;) If they say they believed in god then who am I to question that held belief? Plenty of modern scientists are religious too I'm sure.. there's no rule that says a scientist must not believe in god. Again you're assuming that everyone's individual definition of god is that which the church itself applied to it.. when in fact it could be completely pantheistic and in no way a 'creator god'.

I am obviously a little more sceptical, especially given the all pervasive power religion insisted/insists on holding and given that EVERYONE claimed religion in those days, it is statistically unlikely that was actually the case. ;)

No-one suggested that scientists could not also be religious, what was pointed out was that scientists must compartmentalise their religion when conducting science or every scientific endeavour would require a footnote that the results may be skewed due to deistic intervention and cannot be taken as in any way meaningful - which of course they don't.

As to whether pantheism falls under atheism or theism is still under debate as they don't refer to a "god" in the traditional sense and even many pantheists think using the term "god" is misleading - not sure that's a great example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I stated deliberately that I was talking about the individual. At the end of the day it is up to the individual to justify their beliefs. And I think that's what this has been about.

But anyway, the downfall to naturally occuring "this helps us live together" morality, is that it doesn't apply to pepole outside of the tribe. Enslaving these "others" is fine. As people have done, greeks, romans, americans, africans. Everyone has done it. Well, maybe not Irish people :D

In these systems the whole of society can easily benefit from having slaves do the manual work and them do none.

An easy to observe example would be a small group of people who have defined society at large as "others", don't respect the law or other people outside of their group. Groups of highway robbers are one such example. There are millions of examples

We are back to the subjective standard, but you can't ignore that an individual need not accept it.

I can live in a society, pretend to be good and reap the benefits from that like sex and friendship and what have you, but then go around doing bad things and not getting caught. Unless I'm a coward.

It is contradictory though, to go about saying "ooh, why won't pepole listen to reason, why aren't they rational?". And then give out when people apply it to morality. And it becomes evident very fast that any rational enquiry into why one should act in a certain way will demand an arbitrary (or derived from something else arbitrary) set of values/morals.
    Everything you just said is right. Small groups can decide that they don't want to live by the rules and people can pretend to be upstanding members of the community while doing bad things and not getting caught but there are two things to consider:

1. These people cannot just do whatever they want. They have to be either devious enough or strong enough to avoid being caught and punished by the rest of the society and they have to keep it up for their whole lives. Think of someone like Saddam Hussein who had to have multiple palaces and body doubles because his life was always in danger. Unfortunately individuals can and do choose not to live by the rules but this does not mean that we cannot define these rules and punish any offenders that are caught.

2. If you actually look at the world you'll realise that this flawed morality whose downfall is that it doesn't apply outside the tribe is the one that people have hard wired in their brains. As you say there are millions of examples of it, e.g. slavery and racism. So while we can all agree that it would be nice if there was an over arching objective morality that applied universally, that doesn't mean that such a morality exists. There are many people who claim to have this universal objective morality but each one is different to the next. This type of morality isn't even the one in the bible, that makes a distinction between chosen Jew and damned gentile, then saved Christian and hell bound non-Christian. When the Old Testament was written "thou shalt not kill" meant "thou shalt not kill another Jew". They could and regularly did, often at the direct command of god, slaughter and enslave outsiders.

We have to do the best we can with what we've got and the best we can do is convince people that these outsiders that they've classed as different for the purposes of not applying the same rules to them as they do their own family and friends are not actually so different. Yes it would be nice to be able to say "you're doing wrong. Book says so and you're going to fry for it after you die" but my desire for ultimate morality and ultimate punishment does not make these things exist
    Now, I've said a million times, yes many people will be fine without ever questioning why they follow laws or anything like that. Some people like reasons for why they act. And if you thikn that makes them mentally ill, then I'll gladly place myself amongst the class of people who are mentally ill.
    I said that in order for a society to define rules that allow killing raping enslaving and stoning its members must like being raped, being killed, being stoned and being enslaved. You'd gladly place yourself in that category would you?

Could you pop around to my gaff? I've got some chores I'd like you to do before I stone you to death. I'll leave out the raping if it's all the same with you
    And I do think these other practical conserations are off the point, this has been an argument about describing certain things in a certain way. It's not "just" semantics. The words you use are very important, just as using the wrong mathematics to describe physical phenomena will confuse things, using the wrong words here will confuse things and lead to contradictions.

Again I think semantics are very important. It's ridiculous to suggest that such a person has never existed. Just think about people who do shootings in school due to how they were treated. Also hermit monks, also live outside of things, perhaps in caves.
    you keep saying things like "oh but you can't call it morality". If a society can define a system of mutually agreed rules based on universal values (ie not arbitrary) where the majority live by them, where offenders that are caught are punished and any that aren't live in fear of being caught, I don't care if I can call it morality or not. I'll just call it ethics instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

But i do honestly think majority of people will find it if they are open to it or they have an experience such as i did.And when i say if i had not had faith and god in my heart i would be a lost person.
    But everyone has to find him for themselves,no one can show him to you.
    Jakkass wrote: »
    How suitably patronising! - I wouldn't hold the assumption that atheists are more rational than theists, or that atheists are actually more educated about religion so that might be the reason why I would find it that way.

I love how you call out MM for replying to a post saying what he said in reverse. Why didn't you call out caseyann for being patronising?
    :rolleyes:
    Anything to pick on an atheist, right?

I love how you call out MM for replying to a post saying what he said in reverse. Why didn't you call out caseyann for being patronising?
    :rolleyes:
    Anything to pick on an atheist, right?

How was i being patronising?:confused:

How was i been patronising?:confused:

"Being"
    And you weren't that much, but MM said exactly the same thing as you in reverse. So if one is patronising the other must be...

"Being"
    And you weren't that much, but MM said exactly the same thing as you in reverse. So if one is patronising the other must be...

The holy book states that thou shall not correct other people's grammar. You've done it repeatedly in this thread, it's kind of annoying
    As to whether pantheism falls under atheism or theism is still under debate as they don't refer to a "god" in the traditional sense and even many pantheists think using the term "god" is misleading - not sure that's a great example.

It perfectly demonstrates my point. 'God' is a term which people can have their own definition for, not necessarily always that of a deity. I doubt that too many Pantheists would genuinely care whether or not they're accepted as a form of Atheist.. it isn't some exclusive club that you need to be granted access to, it's a personal philosophy for the most part

Please see post #337 for clarification of my point.

The holy book states that thou shall not correct other people's grammar. You've done it repeatedly in this thread, it's kind of annoying

Where have I done it repeatedly? I did it once above as a very minor part of my post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

It perfectly demonstrates my point. 'God' is a term which people can have their own definition for, not necessarily always that of a deity. I doubt that too many Pantheists would genuinely care whether or not they're accepted as a form of Atheist.. it isn't some exclusive club that you need to be granted access to, it's a personal philosophy for the most part

What are you talking about? The debate is largely by pantheists - do you think anyone else cares or gets offended about what they refer to themselves as? Are you really so embittered towards atheists you just have to jump to these weird conclusions? It's just bizarre. :confused:

Regardless, none of which changes the fact that "god" has a generic definition in each and every dictionary and most people will understand what is meant when the term is used in general discussion, whether you choose to include or deny that your personal beliefs are covered by that particular generic description or not. I think god is a man made character &/or a lazy way of answering the more complicated questions about the natural world or way of making people feel a little less alone and powerless - should the dictionary and everyone referring to god from here on in take that into consideration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Well, it's no coincidence that the majority of Scientists are atheists. Of course there will always be those who slip through the cracks. :)

Quite a number are believers as well. It's roughly 60%, 40% as far as I remember. There are groups such as Christians in Science who advocate that people in scientific faith can both be good scientists, and active Christians. So I wouldn't call this evidence that believers are some how devoid of logic or reason.
    I don't know exactly how many famous philosophers were atheist or not tbh. I'm sure a lot were and a lot were not, although things were a little different back then.

Most philosophers have believed in some form of God. From the Greeks right up to the present. There are still a large enough group of philosophers who believe in God to the present.
    My comment was aimed towards those who don't really practice any kind of religion, the laymen who just ticks ''christian'' on a questionnaire because he/she happened to be baptized. Someone who may say they believe in God but really gives it no specific thought and just lives their life day by day regardless. I'm sure if these people were sat down in a room and just given logical arguments for and against the existence of God in fine detail, a lot of them would not believe.

Why wasn't this clarification given at the start? - Perhaps what you say is true, but it is also quite clear that if people argued well and cogently for why belief is reasonable, they might also go away with a greater interest in finding out more.

Logic and reason isn't confined to atheism, although the terms are bandied around so much they almost become meaningless in discussion.

bluewolf: I didn't find the bit you quoted from caseyann to be that patronising. All she said, (correct me if I am wrong) is that people need to be open in respect to Christianity, and God if they are indeed to find Him. Effectively all she did was paraphrase the Gospel when Jesus says "Knock and the door will be opened unto you, seek and ye shall find". The impetus being on the individual to open their mind and heart and find out more about it.

• Advertisement

bluewolf: I didn't find the bit you quoted from caseyann to be that patronising. All she said, (correct me if I am wrong) is that people need to be open in respect to Christianity, and God if they are indeed to find Him

CA: "people would find faith if they would just be open to it"
    MM: "people would find logic if they would just be open to it".

Obviously you don't find the former patronising since you just agree with it...
    . Effectively all she did was paraphrase the Gospel
    And effectively all HE did was paraphrase HER and replace "faith" with "logic".

Advertisement