Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is God to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I had a post ready, but I best not get into it further :)

It's not something I didn't expect from MagicMarker, or others who are quite embittered towards religion (in general?). To be honest with you, I can kind of see why people would be given what people have done in its name.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Jakkass wrote: »
    I had a post ready, but I best not get into it further :)

It's not something I didn't expect from MagicMarker, or others who are quite embittered towards religion (in general?). To be honest with you, I can kind of see why people would be given what people have done in its name.
    What? Is this a reply to me? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Quite a number are believers as well. It's roughly 60%, 40% as far as I remember. There are groups such as Christians in Science who advocate that people in scientific faith can both be good scientists, and active Christians. So I wouldn't call this evidence that believers are some how devoid of logic or reason.

I never said they were devoid of logic and reason.
    Most philosophers have believed in some form of God. From the Greeks right up to the present. There are still a large enough group of philosophers who believe in God to the present.

That's just super.
    Why wasn't this clarification given at the start? - Perhaps what you say is true, but it is also quite clear that if people argued well and cogently for why belief is reasonable, they might also go away with a greater interest in finding out more.

I'm sure some would, I never said they wouldn't. I do however think they would be in the minority.
    bluewolf: I didn't find the bit you quoted from caseyann to be that patronising.

Of course not... sure why would ya? That would just be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Are you really so embittered towards atheists you just have to jump to these weird conclusions? It's just bizarre. :confused:

No, I am an Atheist :)

I'm not the one that's jumping to conclusions either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Your own personal definition of atheist or the generally accepted definition? :P

Eh, you are jumping to whole heap of conclusions; about terminology, about definitions for atheists, anti-theists and what pantheists care about, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Your own personal definition of atheist or the generally accepted definition? :P

Eh, you are jumping to whole heap of conclusions; about terminology, about definitions for atheists, anti-theists and what pantheists care about, actually.

Well isn't there also ongoing debate about what the term Atheist means? I don't believe in any deity, so I guess that makes me an atheist as far as the general definition goes.

My point about Pantheists was that they do use the term 'god' in a non-creator sense, sure I can't say what they care about because I don't know any of them.. but it's the same as how you can't say that the scientists etc only feigned religious belief in order to avoid persecution, both are assumptions.

Perhaps, I am opening a can of worms here, but what exactly is so irrational in respect to the belief that a Creator God is the root cause for all that exists? It's one thing that I have never got even with all my discussions with atheists on this forum and off.

Well isn't there also ongoing debate about what the term Atheist means? I don't believe in any deity, so I guess that makes me an atheist as far as the general definition goes.

As far as I know atheism currently ranges from agnostic atheism all the way across to rabid anti-theism - but it still has a recognised general definition even if there are pockets of people here and there who don't consider themselves under that particular umbrella. Technically anyone who doesn't believe in a god is an atheist and so most people, unless they subscribe to every and all gods, are atheists - but for obvious reasons we assume the term applies to people who lack belief in any god.

My point about Pantheists was that they do use the term 'god' in a non-creator sense, sure I can't say what they care about because I don't know any of them.. but it's the same as how you can't say that the scientists etc only feigned religious belief in order to avoid persecution, both are assumptions.

Not really. The odds of having 100% religiosity/deism among the general population even in the days that demanded such, is pretty much zero. Add to that the correlation between scientists and atheists, that some of the foremost vocal atheists were following the same logical conclusions as their fore-bearers and suddenly the assumption that none of our leading historical scientists were religious by social necessity only is more ridiculous than the alternative.

On the other hand (from the World Pantheist Movement website):
    The core of what we stand for is our beliefs (see the belief statement). For convenience, we use the name pantheism because it has a long and venerable history. But our beliefs are entirely naturalistic, and compatible with atheism, humanism and naturalism. Also with those forms of paganism that see magic and the gods as symbols rather than realities. We offer a home to all forms of naturalistic spirituality - scientific pantheism, religious humanism, religious naturalism, positive atheism, deep ecology, philosophical Taoism, modern Stoicism, Gaia religion, also Western forms of Buddhism that celebrate Nature and everyday life, and to those in Unitarian Universalism who do not believe in supernatural beings.

You are completely free to adopt the terms and practices you prefer. Most of us avoid "god-language" and the sizeable minority who use it do so metaphorically.

Perhaps, I am opening a can of worms here, but what exactly is so irrational in respect to the belief that a Creator God is the root cause for all that exists? It's one thing that I have never got even with all my discussions with atheists on this forum and off.

Oh Jackass, are you really claiming in all your years of two-ing and fro-ing in A&A that no-one has ever suggested why a creator god is not the rational assumption you think it is? Or do you mean that you don't see your own irrationality even if the reasons have been given repeatedly, many, many, many, many times? I suspect the latter. :P

A creator god is an assumption usually made entirely for the purposes of desperately crow-barring a god into the equation somewhere (anywhere!), slotting it in the only place left on the time-line that lack of deistic interference cannot be absolutely ruled out. It is the ultimate god of gaps; in saying that, it is no more nor less irrational than someone who thinks the universe was created by an alien magician or pooped out by a giant turtle.

Oh Jackass, are you really claiming in all your years of two-ing and fro-ing in A&A that no-one has ever suggested why a creator god is not the rational assumption you think it is? Or do you mean that you don't see your own irrationality even if the reasons have been given repeatedly, many, many, many, many times? I suspect the latter. :P

I've never said that an explanation has never been given, but I've not heard anything that makes sense. I don't believe as a person I am "irrational" to a higher degree than any atheist. Ultimately my current position has been derived by investigating the case for Christianity, and reading explanations that have been given by Christians to defend that position, and it started to make a lot of sense to me even on a rational level.

I will admit that there is a sense of a relationship with God, and experience that ultimately can only rest with the individual, and that is crucially important, but I do believe that Christian beliefs can be explained clearly, and that they do make sense.

If Christianity didn't make sense at least to me, I wouldn't have become a Christian and just remained in the albeit unsatisfying position of an agnostic. It's really that simple. There was something unique from the bland secular message of you live, and just rot, and there was something altogether realistic about the message of Jesus Christ that hit home to me.
    A creator god is an assumption usually made entirely for the purposes of desperately crow-barring a god into the equation somewhere (anywhere!), slotting it in the only place left on the time-line that lack of deistic interference cannot be absolutely ruled out. It is the ultimate god of gaps; in saying that, it is no more nor less irrational than someone who thinks the universe was created by an alien magician or pooped out by a giant turtle.

It is the gross improbability that the universe could have arrived here in its current complexity of its own accord that is perhaps the most difficult aspect for me. It seems a lot more of a jump than to hold the position that there is a reason why you and I exist, and there is a reason why the universe is the way it is, and that there is a function and a purpose for our lives and for all else that is involved in this existence.

I guess since I am a philosophical mind, the question of purpose, reality, cause and reason tend to play a big role in my thought. However, to say that this means of thinking is irrational is a bit of a stretch.

Irrational in the common usage of atheists to theists is really nothing more than playground name calling, it has no real representation on how logical the thought process is. At least that is what I am finding.

• Advertisement

It is the gross improbability that the universe could have arrived here in its current complexity of its own accord that is perhaps the most difficult aspect for me. It seems a lot more of a jump than to hold the position that there is a reason why you and I exist, and there is a reason why the universe is the way it is, and that there is a function and a purpose for our lives and for all else that is involved in this existence.

You believe in evolution don't you?

You believe in evolution don't you?

Yes, I do. As a God-initiated process, which in itself, has a large set of requirements before it can even begin. I.E - Correct chemical balance, and correct physical location and so on.

I don't see evolution as a reason to think that everything can exist on its own accord, rather I would see evolution as a step in God's creative plan. Evolution isn't the God-killer that people often think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

1. These people cannot just do whatever they want. They have to be either devious enough or strong enough to avoid being caught and punished by the rest of the society and they have to keep it up for their whole lives. Think of someone like Saddam Hussein who had to have multiple palaces and body doubles because his life was always in danger. Unfortunately individuals can and do choose not to live by the rules but this does not mean that we cannot define these rules and punish any offenders that are caught.

Saddamn hussein is an example of somone who failed. And yes, when I say things like that I'm not talking about cowards, idiots or people who aren't capable of thinking outside rules imposed on them by the rest of society. Anyway, since I liked being supported hume, you might like to know that socrates also makes pretty much this argument against living the bad life in the republic :). Plato also travelled from the individual to society at large to learn more about justice. You've also done that! But it doesn't really matter which way we look at it, in the examples cited it makes it no more clear than in the individual. One could say that morality as it propogates through different levels of society is fractal in nature. And according to this book I'm reading which I don't really understand, it's best to look at the closest magnification, the individual.

If you are trying to argue that it's not possible to prosper by acting in contradiction to the values of society whilst not being caught then I'll have to say that that's extremely naieve.
    2. If you actually look at the world you'll realise that this flawed morality whose downfall is that it doesn't apply outside the tribe is the one that people have hard wired in their brains. As you say there are millions of examples of it, e.g. slavery and racism. So while we can all agree that it would be nice if there was an over arching objective morality that applied universally, that doesn't mean that such a morality exists. There are many people who claim to have this universal objective morality but each one is different to the next.
    My arguments have never left a purely evolutionary description of things in order to criticise them. You have gone from the individual to society, and from chemicals to a few steps ahead. But this doesn't make a difference to the argument.

Well, everyone universally applies their morality. Once you have a definition of right, other people have a definition of wrong. I'm not going to argue about the failings about relativistic ideas of good and bad, or about the universality of morality. These are two different things, and unrelated to this debate. It is a very interesting topic of discussion though.

We have to do the best we can with what we've got and the best we can do is convince people that these outsiders that they've classed as different for the purposes of not applying the same rules to them as they do their own family and friends are not actually so different. Yes it would be nice to be able to say "you're doing wrong. Book says so and you're going to fry for it after you die" but my desire for ultimate morality and ultimate punishment does not make these things exist
    Why do we have to do the best we can? Why don't we just go and rape loads of people and do heroin? We all like living in society sure, but yes we can rape these outsiders, or do it to people within our own society in such a way that we aren't caught.
    I said that in order for a society to define rules that allow killing raping enslaving and stoning its members must like being raped, being killed, being stoned and being enslaved. You'd gladly place yourself in that category would you?
    Well not quite :P .That doesn't make their values non-arbitrary. It makes people universally conditioned by simple things like "fire hot" etc.
    Could you pop around to my gaff? I've got some chores I'd like you to do before I stone you to death. I'll leave out the raping if it's all the same with you
    you keep saying things like "oh but you can't call it morality". If a society can define a system of mutually agreed rules based on universal values (ie not arbitrary) where the majority live by them, where offenders that are caught are punished and any that aren't live in fear of being caught, I don't care if I can call it morality or not. I'll just call it ethics instead.

Ok well, you've kinda gone in a circle anyway. We've already stated, that since we are not prescribing religious exampes for things, commonly held values like "it's nice to live together" can be explained by evolution. So it reduces to "living together is nice for chemicals".

Again you're making the same mistake you've made before in saying the moral values aren't arbitrary. You can argue "people like living in society", in my mind this reduces to the same arguments about empathy, which can be humerously compared with heroin addicts.

But anyway, "people like to live in society", therefore we ought to live in society. I've already given arguments against this sort of thing, and so has hume apparently.

Edit: Here's a nice excercise. I'll say "I like to rape people and eat babies" and you arrive from your objective principles and convince me that it is bad (I'll accept the firt principles), mind you, I'm very devious and unlikely to get caught. And what's more moral systems shouldn't be based on punishment, which is why it's so easy to argue against the straw men of christians only being moral because of fear of death.

Yes, I do. As a God-initiated process, which in itself, has a large set of requirements before it can even begin. I.E - Correct chemical balance, and correct physical location and so on.

I don't see evolution as a reason to think that everything can exist on its own accord, rather I would see evolution as a step in God's creative plan. Evolution isn't the God-killer that people often think it is.
    My point is, you believe in how we came about via evolution, i.e, an extremely complex and intricate process taking hundreds of millions of years. Molecules turning into humans over a period of time sounds just as improbable to me as the beginning of the universe, but because that improbability is explained by science you conveniently embrace it and include it as part of God's plan.

IMO, improbability doesn't = divine creation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 geekyjay10

an outdated idea

My point is, you believe in how we came about via evolution, i.e, an extremely complex and intricate process taking hundreds of millions of years. Molecules turning into humans over a period of time sounds just as improbable to me as the beginning of the universe, but because that improbability is explained by science you conveniently embrace it and include it as part of God's plan.

The process by which life came to be, and the process by which life continues to mutate further into more complex organisms is discussed in full by science. A number of questions still arise, and evolution doesn't explain them in and of itself. That's my point. The very process of evolution, and the scientific laws that govern the universe, in and of themselves from my perspective must also have an author. That is, there must be a reason, mechanism, or root cause behind their happening. At least that is the case that was made by many philosophers on the issue at hand.
    IMO, improbability doesn't = divine creation.

I'm aware that it doesn't, it merely allows for people to reason as to what may be more probable.
    geekyjay10 wrote: »
    an outdated idea

What is more in date? - Or more to the point, does truth become outdated, or does it remain true forever?

I've never said that an explanation has never been given, but I've not heard anything that makes sense. I don't believe as a person I am "irrational" to a higher degree than any atheist. Ultimately my current position has been derived by investigating the case for Christianity, and reading explanations that have been given by Christians to defend that position, and it started to make a lot of sense to me even on a rational level.

I will admit that there is a sense of a relationship with God, and experience that ultimately can only rest with the individual, and that is crucially important, but I do believe that Christian beliefs can be explained clearly, and that they do make sense.

If Christianity didn't make sense at least to me, I wouldn't have become a Christian and just remained in the albeit unsatisfying position of an agnostic. It's really that simple. There was something unique from the bland secular message of you live, and just rot, and there was something altogether realistic about the message of Jesus Christ that hit home to me.

For the record, I don't think religious people are any more illogical or irrational than anyone else, except when it comes to matters of faith. Ironically, despite all your protestations of clear explanations that make sense, I've never heard anything approaching a semblance of reasoned argument for the existence of a god, never mind the superiority of one religion over any other. I presume that's why nothing has replaced the atheism I was born with.

Of course, once convinced of a particular belief any other position must seem ludicrous but from my perspective the problem with theism is that there is so bloody many people equally convinced they have it absolutely spot on - and most of them don't even share a belief. If it were so obvious and so unequivocal, there would be but one religion and we would all believe in god, surely? That clearly isn't the case so logic dictates (to me at least!) that every single theistic position must hold some kind of irrationality or illogicality for others to have rejected it en masse - the only exception being those brave souls who are prepared to admit we actually just don't know, of course. :)

I guess since I am a philosophical mind, the question of purpose, reality, cause and reason tend to play a big role in my thought. However, to say that this means of thinking is irrational is a bit of a stretch.

Irrational in the common usage of atheists to theists is really nothing more than playground name calling, it has no real representation on how logical the thought process is. At least that is what I am finding.

It's grossly improbably that anyone hit the 1 in 74 x 10^6 chance of winning the euromillions, yet nearly every week somebody somewhere beats those odds. There are astonishing natural odds around us all the time, naturally conceived sextuplets, having two sets of twins in a row, a family of 9 girls in a row - when staring phenomenal odds in the face every day and seeing example upon example of the improbable becoming reality, I see no reason to assume the odds of universal creation, life on earth or whatever although slight, make the interjection of a super-being necessary.

Far from playground name calling for the sake of it, irrationality is at the seat of why a shared religion or theism does not exist. Irationality is to find a hole and maintain a conviction that the gap has been adequately and properly filled despite having no way of knowing that is the case. I don't know - you don't know, to proclaim you know better than the hindus, muslims, scientologists, etc, despite everyone sharing the same lack of evidence cannot possibly be rational. The absolute conviction that one sect has it right against all others and despite a complete lack of empirical evidence is neither a logical nor a rational position, no matter how much you want it to be. It's just blindly maintaining things are how you hope/want/would like rather than admitting we just don't know. Inserting "god did it" is as rational as inserting "elvis did it" or "giant turtle did it" or "thor did it" for that matter. If you can see the irrationality of another sects assumptions, surely you can see the irrationality of all others, including your own?

For the record, I don't think religious people are any more illogical or irrational than anyone else, except when it comes to matters of faith. Ironically, despite all your protestations of clear explanations that make sense, I've never heard anything approaching a semblance of reasoned argument for the existence of a god, never mind the superiority of one religion over any other. I presume that's why nothing has replaced the atheism I was born with.

It's nothing of a protestation. It's just a statement about the current cognitive position I am in, just as yours is a statement about the current cognitive position you are in.

We're clearly just polar opposites in respect to this issue. You regard me as being irrational in matters of faith, and I regard you as being irrational in matters of faith. This is why the term is just useless in discussion. It becomes something that is merely lobbed back and forth rather than something that progresses discussion.
    Of course, once convinced of a particular belief any other position must seem ludicrous but from my perspective the problem with theism is that there is so bloody many people equally convinced they have it absolutely spot on - and most of them don't even share a belief. If it were so obvious and so unequivocal, there would be but one religion and we would all believe in god, surely? That clearly isn't the case so logic dictates (to me at least!) that every single theistic position must hold some kind of irrationality or illogicality for others to have rejected it en masse - the only exception being those brave souls who are prepared to admit we actually just don't know, of course. :)

Of course, but the case is how was I convinced? - I think it was through rational means for the most part (No decision is ever 100% rationally made, but a large proportion of our decisions are), in that something clicked as I was thinking it through, and indeed thinking through what is probably the most important decision I have and will ever make.

As for God's existence being obvious, it's counter intuitive to our sense to wish to lead our own lives, without any real restriction. It isn't that the idea of God isn't fairly simple to understand once explained, it is that people often don't want to accept the consequences of God's existence which effectively means that we must repent of past sins, and become a new Creation with Him. It is always much easier if one is acquainted with the idea that one hasn't been living as they should be to fully understand why we must repent to begin with.

Actually, the rejection of God in many cases arises by an irrational response to what it will mean for people.

As for those brave souls you refer to, indeed it is a noble point to say that one doesn't know, but it certainly isn't noble to resign ones self to the position that they will never know, and as a result not seek to know.
    It's grossly improbably that anyone hit the 1 in 74 x 10^6 chance of winning the euromillions, yet nearly every week somebody somewhere beats those odds. There are astonishing natural odds around us all the time, naturally conceived sextuplets, having two sets of twins in a row, a family of 9 girls in a row - when staring phenomenal odds in the face every day and seeing example upon example of the improbable becoming reality, I see no reason to assume the odds of universal creation, life on earth or whatever although slight, make the interjection of a super-being necessary.

The odds of the earth and life being able to form as they are if I remember correctly far exceeds the chances of winning the Euromillions every week for 10 years, or for any of these things to have occurred. The gross improbability would be a major barrier in even beginning to reject the idea of God, let alone dismissing it as a fairytale as many people here and in the A&A forum do.

In fact, I would regard dismissing it as a fairytale, to be more irrational than a lot of other things.
    Far from playground name calling for the sake of it, irrationality is at the seat of why a shared religion or theism does not exist. Irationality is to find a hole and maintain a conviction that the gap has been adequately and properly filled despite having no way of knowing that is the case. I don't know - you don't know, to proclaim you know better than the hindus, muslims, scientologists, etc, despite everyone sharing the same lack of evidence cannot possibly be rational. The absolute conviction that one sect has it right against all others and despite a complete lack of empirical evidence is neither a logical nor a rational position, no matter how much you want it to be. It's just blindly maintaining things are how you hope/want/would like rather than admitting we just don't know. Inserting "god did it" is as rational as inserting "elvis did it" or "giant turtle did it" or "thor did it" for that matter. If you can see the irrationality of another sects assumptions, surely you can see the irrationality of all others, including your own?

I would argue that it isn't an insertion, rather it is by looking at how the universe is and how it came to be, and indeed how our lives are and how they operate, how people operate and so on that one can derive what kind of a Creator would have been involved in such a Creation. It is by seeing what is around us that I and others would be led to the conclusion that there was an intelligent being behind the Creation of the universe, rather than things happening without any form of cause (this is actually a much bigger leap of faith as far as I am concerned).

As for determining the characteristics of this Creator, that is a question of divine revelation, what has been revealed to us and how it squares up with reality. The first stage, is establishing that there must of necessity be a cause to what we know and perceive. I.E - The acceptance that there is ultimately a reason and a cause to why there is something rather than nothing. The second stage is evaluating the Scriptures and seeing if they make rational sense.

The best assessment of how the Scriptures made sense to me was by examining what my life had been like before the point when I accepted Jesus Christ as Saviour and seeing that the general pattern accounted for peoples lives in the Bible, and in the world was pretty much the same as the pattern that had occurred in my life in that I had strayed far from what was right into what was wrong.

The Biblical text made clear sense given my perception of the world, and as such it wasn't overwhelmingly difficult post-thinking about it to see why I would believe in God.

However, you are correct that if I didn't have any revelation to accept, it would be gratuitous and irrational for me to say what God was like. However, since we do, I can assess it and I can determine if it makes sense.

I've shortened your quotes just to shorten the overall length of my posts, I did read them in full. I mean no offence in doing so nor do I mean to ignore any specific points made.
    It's nothing of a protestation. It's just a statement about the current cognitive position I am in, just as yours is a statement about the current cognitive position you are in.

We're clearly just polar opposites in respect to this issue. You regard me as being irrational in matters of faith, and I regard you as being irrational in matters of faith. This is why the term is just useless in discussion. It becomes something that is merely lobbed back and forth rather than something that progresses discussion.

You think I'm irrational for holding my hands up and saying no-one knows how the universe came into being? Really? I'm irrational because I haven't assumed a particular religious sect is correct over all others despite the underwhelming evidence? :confused:

Presumably you don't think hinduism is a completely logical and rational conclusion or you would be a hindu, same for islam and scientology? You can know about them and dismiss them as not saying it how it is, getting it wrong or making things up but that doesn't work in reverse?
    Of course, but the case is how was I convinced? - I think it was through rational means for the most part........As for those brave souls you refer to, indeed it is a noble point to say that one doesn't know, but it certainly isn't noble to resign ones self to the position that they will never know, and as a result not seek to know.

But I do seek to know, I just don't want to make it up. I'm willing to leave the question unanswered until such a time that the correct answer can fill the gap. If I don't live to find out then so be it, I'm not so utterly desperate to answer the question that I'm prepared to throw in an answer and cross my fingers it's the right one.
    The odds of the earth and life being able to form as they are if I remember correctly far exceeds the chances of winning the Euromillions every week for 10 years, or for any of these things to have occurred. The gross improbability would be a major barrier in even beginning to reject the idea of God, let alone dismissing it as a fairytale as many people here and in the A&A forum do.

In fact, I would regard dismissing it as a fairytale, to be more irrational than a lot of other things.

The odds are infinitesimal in human terms but I'd argue if you throw a dice every minute of every day for 15 billion years then eventually you will throw a hundred thousand sixes in a row, probably more than once actually. Regardless, no amount of improbability = god did it, it doesn't make one faiths version of events any more probable than the turtle pooing the universe. In lieu of any solid answer and rather than eeny, meany, moeing it, I'm happy with "I don't know".

NB It's the super-natural events in biblical/religious stories that are dismissed as fairy stories rather than any general leanings towards deism.
    I would argue that it isn't an insertion, rather it is by looking at how the universe is and how it came to be, and indeed how our lives are and how they operate, how people operate and so on that one can derive what kind of a Creator would have been involved in such a Creation. It is by seeing what is around us that I and others would be led to the conclusion that there was an intelligent being behind the Creation of the universe, rather than things happening without any form of cause (this is actually a much bigger leap of faith as far as I am concerned)...etc, etc

And none of that makes any more sense to me than reading an alien abductee telling their story about the little green men that snatched them and carried out experiments and how they are convinced we are not alone. I think you have to understand that without means to differentiate, I have to hold biblical espousing in the same vein and talk of seeing the work of intelligent creators means absolutely nothing to me, Jackass, zip. You may think you are making a clear and concise argument but I just hear a twist on the abductee story.

I don't have a faith that the universe created itself, it's the surety that we have absolutely no idea how the universe came into being and any other assumption is a complete fabrication of human imagination is why I have never developed a faith. I don't think lacking faith can be a leap of faith.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/448517/Evolution-What-Are-the-Odds
    What Were the Odds For Evolution?

Borel's law of probability states that if the odds of an event happening are worse than 1 in 1*10^50, then that event will NEVER HAPPEN.

Dr. Harold Morowitz, former professor of biophysics at Yale University, estimated that the probability of the chance formation of the smallest, simplest form of living organism known is 1 out of 10^340,000,000. One out of ten to the 340 millionth power is unimaginable odds. This large figure is a "1" followed by 340,000,000 zeroes.

As you can see, Morowitz' odds against even the simplest life evolving were infinitely more than 1*10^50, making them impossible.

The very popular evolutionist, Dr. Carl Sagan of Cornell University, figured even steeper odds against the simplest life beginning naturally on a planet such as earth. According to Sagan, the probability would be about 1 out of 10^2,000,000,000. Try to imagine ten to the 2 billionth power. Pretty astounding odds.

Interestingly, these impossible odds against evolution came from one of the most prominent evolutionists of our time. According to evolutionists, we just got lucky. However, the odds against this luck have been shown above.

Borel's law of probability should have been enough to refute
    evolution completely, but I know that the evolutionary "intellectuals" need more convincing data.

As you can see, evolution was quite improbably, even more so than winning the euromillions, but you still believe in it?

Surely looking at the above odds, it would make more sense to be a creationist?

• Advertisement

As you can see, evolution was quite improbably, even more so than winning the euromillions, but you still believe in it?

The difference, is that I do not believe that evolution began of its own accord, I believe that it was a part of God's creative plan. You on the other hand, believe that evolution began in and of its own accord.

Although we both subscribe to biological evolution, there is a significant difference in that we differ on how biological evolution began to take place.

As for saying, wouldn't it be pragmatic to be a Creationist. I am a Creationist in that I believe that there is a Creator. You mightn't realise this, but there are numerous forms of Creationism.

I amn't a Young Earth Creationist (YEC) which is most commonly attached to the term Creationist, but I certainly am a Creationist (Old Earth).

The difference, is that I do not believe that evolution began of its own accord, I believe that it was a part of God's creative plan. You on the other hand, believe that evolution began in and of its own accord.

Although we both subscribe to biological evolution, there is a significant difference in that we differ on how biological evolution began to take place.

As for saying, wouldn't it be pragmatic to be a Creationist. I am a Creationist in that I believe that there is a Creator. You mightn't realise this, but there are numerous forms of Creationism.

I amn't a Young Earth Creationist (YEC) which is most commonly attached to the term Creationist, but I certainly am a Creationist (Old Earth).
    So what you're saying is, God created the universe, then approximately 10,000,000,000 years later the Earth formed and God started the process of Evolution? Why did he wait so long?

I think you know exactly what I mean by the term creationist. Seeing as you believe there is a creator due to the improbability of it all starting in and of it's own accord, why do you believe in evolution when it's equally as improbable? Surely it would make more sense for you to just take the book of Genesis literally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

I think the question should be ....
    What if God was one of us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

So what you're saying is, God created the universe, then approximately 10,000,000,000 years later the Earth formed and God started the process of Evolution? Why did he wait so long?

It says in the bible that time is not relevant to God, that 1,000 years could be like a day and a day like a 1,000 years.

Min wrote: »
    It says in the bible that time is not relevant to God, that 1,000 years could be like a day and a day like a 1,000 years.
    I assume that because Jakkass has thanked your post he's not actually going to reply to mine. Figures!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

To me, God is when:

1) You want the best kid to win but secretly you're hoping that the kid whose dad couldn't afford a decent tennis racket (racquet?) to win.

2) When you're paying on the bus and you see some poor divil haring from a hundred yards away and they aren't going to make it, so you drop your bus-fare on the floor (to the disgust of the busdriver and the cosily ensconced clientele) and by the time you pick it up they've made it.

3) When you don't fight your corner and realise afterwards that you saved people you love a needless pain.

4) AH answer: When you're standing outside Coppers at three o'clock in the morning wondering how the hell your wages still aren't in your account, and you're contemplating the six mile barge home ,cos you can't afford a taxi; when suddenly an angel appears( the girl you were talking to at the bar earlier in the night and whose existence you had forgotten) and asks if you'd like to come back to their place for a nightcap.
    You walk out the following morning having had a snog, a shag she insisted upon, having made a good impression on her friends, cooked breakfast, and still in time for the first race and directions from the lads at the bar as to how to get home.

So, anyway, where does everyone else see God? Would be particularly interested to hear from the atheists.

Btw, if you're an atheist and you're struggling to carry a 36" television down four flights of stairs and a christian turns to you and says," Do you want a hand with that mate?" What do you say?

Without a question or shadow of a doubt, that is one of the most stupid and annoying things I have ever read.

I assume that because Jakkass has thanked your post he's not actually going to reply to mine. Figures!

My thinking is pretty much of the same substance. Comparing human concepts of time, to that of God isn't really the same thing. It doesn't particularly matter how short, or how long God took to create all things.

However, if God is indeed the Creator of the universe, then that is hugely important, and it tells us so much about life. Too much to be ignored.

My thinking is pretty much of the same substance. Comparing human concepts of time, to that of God isn't really the same thing. It doesn't particularly matter how short, or how long God took to create all things.

You really are good for a chuckle Jakkass do you know that?

Anyway, let's revert back shall we? Why don't you take genesis literally seeing as evolution is so improbably? And while we're at it, were the dinosaurs part of God's plan?

You really are good for a chuckle Jakkass do you know that?

I guess, if people who have a sincere belief in God do that for you, then why not have a good chuckle, at least something positive will have happened from this discussion :)
    Anyway, let's revert back shall we? Why don't you take genesis literally seeing as evolution is so improbably? And while we're at it, were the dinosaurs part of God's plan?

I have a number of reasons.

As for dinosaurs, I assume your reasoning is going to end up with you asking why were the dinosaurs made extinct. The answer is I don't know, perhaps dinosaurs were intended for a time, and that time has now passed. I don't claim to know everything, no doubt I have quite a bit I have to learn before this life ends.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

As for dinosaurs, I assume your reasoning is going to end up with you asking why were the dinosaurs made extinct. The answer is I don't know, perhaps dinosaurs were intended for a time, and that time has now passed. I don't claim to know everything, no doubt I have quite a bit I have to learn before this life ends.

God works in mysterious ways. He is also invisible and undetectable. And you're not allowed to put him to the test, the sneaky fecker.

Advertisement