Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is God to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

rovert wrote: »
    Where did you get this stock answer a guide book?

Some passages in the Bible give me an idea about this.
    It is low IQ thinking, subscribe this trait to any person and youve got a douche.

I've yet to see how it is. You haven't really provided a reason yet as to why God would be deserving of blame to begin with, apart from that bad things happen, and even then the vast majority of bad things that happen can be attributed to other human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Jakkass wrote: »
    In what way? Particularly in respect to personal responsibility, I find that quite odd.

Not odd at all :)

I am responsible for my own actions, I am not born with "original sin" as I didn't do anything in the first place, I do nice things not for reward but from my own empathy for others, I don't thank any god for good things in this world as they're simply the result of people being nice, I don't blame the devil for bad things as they're simply the result of people doing not-nice things, I don't live my life in the hope of being "forgiven" for things I may have done that I regret, I don't think saying a few heil marys absolves responsibility for anything....

In essence, I am responsible for everything I do and no magic thing in the sky is responsible for my existance, my love of life or any path I choose to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Why would God be responsible? - As for what is positive and negative, it depends what you mean by positive and negative. Ultimately, if God uses us to do His work, then He is worthy of praise. Ultimately He knows what is best, and His will is more important than mine. If we choose to resist God's work, then yes that can be regarded as negative.

Bad things may happen for a reason, and good things happen for a reason. What the reason is might be difficult to ascertain at times though.

If that renders me as having low IQ sobeit! The Gospel is much more important than intellectual smarts :)

That logic means there's no such thing as "bad things", they're all good because they all happen for a reason and they're all god using us to do his work. It means that if someone gets sick it's because god wanted them to get sick and trying to make them better is "resisting his work". If god wants them to get better they will and if he doesn't they won't regardless of what any doctors do. And if they die we should rejoice that they have played a part in god's plan for us. It means that these people did the right thing: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/susan_nielsen/index.ssf/2010/07/faith_healing_in_oregon_a_pict.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Some passages in the Bible give me an idea about this.

Yeah guidebook.
    I've yet to see how it is. You haven't really provided a reason yet as to why God would be deserving of blame to begin with, apart from that bad things happen, and even then the vast majority of bad things that happen can be attributed to other human beings.

God gets praised when someone beats cancer, but him and his followers refute any criticism of him when someone say dies from cancer. To use a colloquailism God is a glory hound.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

God gets praised when someone beats cancer, but him and his followers refute any criticism of him when someone say dies from cancer. To use a colloquailism God is a glory hound.

Depends on who you talk to.

• Advertisement

prinz wrote: »
    Depends on who you talk to.

Aye "God's will" or such nonsense. :rolleyes:

What an eachway bet he has.

smokingman wrote: »
    Not odd at all :)

I still think so!
    I am responsible for my own actions, I am not born with "original sin" as I didn't do anything in the first place, I do nice things not for reward but from my own empathy for others, I don't thank any god for good things in this world as they're simply the result of people being nice, I don't blame the devil for bad things as they're simply the result of people doing not-nice things, I don't live my life in the hope of being "forgiven" for things I may have done that I regret, I don't think saying a few heil marys absolves responsibility for anything....

I'm in agreement here with quite a bit. Let's go through the common ground (in bold).

I don't believe I am born with a original sin (in the respect of being a literal sin, but as an inclination to sin), I believe that I am born with the inclination towards sin. I.E - I am created with an aptitude towards sin.

I believe that I am responsible for what I do. I not only believe I am responsible for what I do to others, I am also responsible for what I do to God Himself. People should aim to put themselves right both in respect to the wrongs they have done to others, and to put ourselves right with God by seeking forgiveness.

I don't blame the devil for bad things
    , precisely because we as human beings can resist temptation and do what is right. People themselves are responsible for what they do, or if they fall into temptation or not.

I don't live my life in the "hope" of being forgiven - precisely because I believe I have been forgiven already, by Jesus' saving death on the cross.

I don't think saying a few Hail Maries absolves responsibility for anything - Neither do I. It is also likely that saying a few Hail Maries can become a ritualistic thing rather than a sincere means of repentance to God. That would be one of my disagreements with only using set prayers. In another respect, I believe prayer should be made to God, and not Mary (one of my disagreements with Roman Catholicism).
    In essence, I am responsible for everything I do and no magic thing in the sky is responsible for my existance, my love of life or any path I choose to take.

I am responsible for everything I do yes. God is responsible (in the sense of causation) for our existence, but He isn't responsible for our sin or if you choose to reject Him.

Your criticism isn't of what God is, but rather of how humans refer to God. An entirely different kettle of fish surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

People, time, context, understanding. Those words give a good picture of why God revealed it the way He did. The same is true of why didn't God go right into the detail of the science behind what He did. Genesis isn't intended to be a science book, it is intended to be a description of why we are here, and we are here with the intention of being God's people. Whether or not that actually is the case is down to us!
    God is a scientist now?
    Why would God be responsible? - As for what is positive and negative, it depends what you mean by positive and negative. Ultimately, if God uses us to do His work, then He is worthy of praise. Ultimately He knows what is best, and His will is more important than mine. If we choose to resist God's work, then yes that can be regarded as negative.

Bad things may happen for a reason, and good things happen for a reason. What the reason is might be difficult to ascertain at times though.

If that renders me as having low IQ sobeit! The Gospel is much more important than intellectual smarts :)

Bad things happen through others doing bad things, or through co-incidence.
    Same for good things.
    There is no divine intervention involved with anything that happens on this planet.
    God has no say in what happens on this planet, because God does not exist.

Now let's say that you're on your way to Church and I pop out of a bush that I had just set fire to, told you that I was God, and asked you to head to, say, Somalia to take the Somalians to the land of milk and honey.
    Would you believe that I was God (remember that you don't know who I am)?

If not, why not?
    If you don't believe me, then how can you justify the story told by Moses?
    If you are dismissing this as a parable, then how do you know if you have the correct interpretation?
    If you are saying that you believe your interpretation to be the correct one, then how do you know this?
    If you are putting that down to faith, then that's just silly.

Aye "God's will" or such nonsense. :rolleyes:
    What an eachway bet he has.

Some people don't blame God for getting cancer, nor praise God that someone recovered.

As for God being a scientist, if God is omnipotent and omniscient, then it follows that God also knows in detail how He created the world.
    Terry wrote: »
    Bad things happen through others doing bad things, or through co-incidence.
    Same for good things.
    There is no divine intervention involved with anything that happens on this planet.
    God has no say in what happens on this planet, because God does not exist.

That's your take, and you're entitled to it, but the more important question is why is that your take?
    Now let's say that you're on your way to Church and I pop out of a bush that I had just set fire to, told you that I was God, and asked you to head to, say, Somalia to take the Somalians to the land of milk and honey.
    Would you believe that I was God (remember that you don't know who I am)?

My belief in God isn't dependant on who does the most miracles, but rather because of how Christianity makes much more sense than a secular view of existence. At least that is how I would see it.

Although, I have to say if you burned a bush, and the bush wasn't damaged at all in the slightest afterwards, I would be quite impressed! :)

• Advertisement

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    That logic means there's no such thing as "bad things", they're all good because they all happen for a reason and they're all god using us to do his work. It means that if someone gets sick it's because god wanted them to get sick and trying to make them better is "resisting his work". If god wants them to get better they will and if he doesn't they won't regardless of what any doctors do. And if they die we should rejoice that they have played a part in god's plan for us. It means that these people did the right thing: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/susan_nielsen/index.ssf/2010/07/faith_healing_in_oregon_a_pict.html
    Jesus ****ing Christ.
    If there was ever a case for chemical castration, then this is it.
    I still think so!

I'm in agreement here with quite a bit. Let's go through the common ground (in bold).

I don't believe I am born with a original sin (in the respect of being a literal sin, but as an inclination to sin), I believe that I am born with the inclination towards sin. I.E - I am created with an aptitude towards sin.

I believe that I am responsible for what I do. I not only believe I am responsible for what I do to others, I am also responsible for what I do to God Himself. People should aim to put themselves right both in respect to the wrongs they have done to others, and to put ourselves right with God by seeking forgiveness.

, precisely because we as human beings can resist temptation and do what is right. People themselves are responsible for what they do, or if they fall into temptation or not.

I don't live my life in the "hope" of being forgiven - precisely because I believe I have been forgiven already, by Jesus' saving death on the cross.

I don't think saying a few Hail Maries absolves responsibility for anything - Neither do I. It is also likely that saying a few Hail Maries can become a ritualistic thing rather than a sincere means of repentance to God. That would be one of my disagreements with only using set prayers. In another respect, I believe prayer should be made to God, and not Mary (one of my disagreements with Roman Catholicism).

I am responsible for everything I do yes. God is responsible (in the sense of causation) for our existence, but He isn't responsible for our sin or if you choose to reject Him.

Your criticism isn't of what God is, but rather of how humans refer to God. An entirely different kettle of fish surely?
    Jaysis. Sure what sort of Christian are you if you don't let God take a bit of credit?

As for God being a scientist, if God is omnipotent and omniscient, then it follows that God also knows in detail how He created the world.
    Yeah, but he didn't create the world because he doesn't exist.

That's your take, and you're entitled to it, but the more important question is why is that your take?

Because I'm a rational person.
    If something happens, I will look into the reasons behind it.
    My belief in God isn't dependant on who does the most miracles, but rather because of how Christianity makes much more sense than a secular view of existence. At least that is how I would see it.

Although, I have to say if you burned a bush, and the bush wasn't damaged at all in the slightest afterwards, I would be quite impressed! :)

Fair enough, but that doesn't really answer my question. You're just deflecting it by pointing out your beliefs.

As for the burning bush, it wasn't a miracle. One of four things happened.
    1. Moses lied
    2. Moses was crazy
    3. Moses had eaten some funky cacti
    4. Someone else made up the story based on old stories passed down through time

Now why would you believe a 5,000 year old story, and not believe me?
    Why is it that you would believe that story, but would probably recommend that I be locked up in Dundrum for telling a similar story today?

Also, it's easy to hide damage to evergreen shrubbery. It generates far more smoke than flame. :)

Some people don't blame God for getting cancer, nor praise God that someone recovered.

Keep making vague posts.

Keep making vague posts.

Keep generalising.

Keep generalising.

Generalising is better than being deliberately vague and trolling.

Jaysis. Sure what sort of Christian are you if you don't let God take a bit of credit?

I thank God every day that He has given me the chance to be a part of His plan. I surely don't need to demonstrate to you what worth I give to God?
    Yeah, but he didn't create the world because he doesn't exist.

Again, that's all well and good, but why do you think this?
    Because I'm a rational person.
    If something happens, I will look into the reasons behind it.

Indeed, the only difference between you and I is that I am willing to consider that God may well be a part of the reason.

It really isn't any more rational than anything else to say that God doesn't exist. One can keep bandying around the terms, but after a while logic and reason become meaningless if they are only used to applaud other atheists as to their vehement opposition of belief.
    As for the burning bush, it wasn't a miracle. One of four things happened.
    1. Moses lied
    2. Moses was crazy
    3. Moses had eaten some funky cacti
    4. Someone else made up the story based on old stories passed down through time

That is your take, again, just a rehashing of your current beliefs. If God doesn't exist, then those are the conclusions. If God does exist, it being a miracle is still very much an option. It just depends what possibilities one chooses to close themselves to.

The position that all existence is just a happy accident, isn't any more rational than anything else.

Generalising is better than being deliberately vague and trolling.

Deliberately vague? You made a sweeping generalising comment. I said that it doesn't apply to everyone, where did it get vague for you? As for trolling...:rolleyes:

We do indeed have a lot of common ground Jackass, we are all human ;)
    My thoughts below:
    I still think so!

I too believe we are born with "inclinations" but not for some arbitrary concept of sin. Bad things are bad things and everyone is capable of doing them. To define something like that as a sin, being bad against a gods will, belittles the fact that it is first and foremost a bad thing against a fellow human.

...this goes back to the arguement that some peeps think that you cannot have morals without religion - something I'm not going to into because it's been done to death. I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on that one and say that I think religion has nothing to do with it.

So by that logic, you're not actually responsible for you own "salvation"?

With you on the prayer thing but no matter how you do it, you're still seeking the thumbs-up for your life choices.

I've said this before but I think the beauty and sheer size of the universe is belittled every time I hear that it's all been created for us, an insignificant amoeba in the grand scheme of things.

Deliberately vague? You made a sweeping generalising comment. I said that it doesn't apply to everyone, where did it get vague for you? As for trolling...:rolleyes:

I keep asking you to specify and you choose not to so you are trolling here. You are adding nothing to thread. Ive little choice but to generalise as I cant spend all day putting cavets in for every branch of the Church who take a different subjective view of the bible. Am I aware that some people believe in an interventalist god? Yes. Again your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Stuff

Why did all this stuff that went on in the bible happen way back when at a time when you could extreeeemely politely say humans were a bit backwards and after all this god stuff he just vanishes.

I'm not saying that in 2000 years, if humans are still around they won't view us now as backwards but surely if your god exists why all this ambiguity? Cannot he not recognise that as a species we're in a much better position to deal with him now? But this comes back to other points raised already where you have to wonder why he lets so many different versions of religion exist and so much pain and suffering be caused in his name? Why would a universe creating being not be able to rectify this?

For me I look at religion and god and I see a fairytale created by humans who had no concept of the world and how it worked. I can understand how religion can be started in this way but what I fail to grasp entirely is that from your posts you strike me as an intelligent chap but you read something like the bible and you think that all sounds believable and good and hey ho off I go to give glory and praise to this god?

For me it breaks down to two things. God exists and is, frankly, an ass and in no way deserving of my praise for what he has done to this world and what he continues to do by his complete inaction since bible times or he doesn't exist.

How and why you worship such a god is beyond me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Rovert banned for backseat modding & insulting comments.
    Carry on folks.

• Advertisement

This will be my last post for a while, but I see something valuable in your post smokingman:
    smokingman wrote:
    I too believe we are born with "inclinations" but not for some arbitrary concept of sin. Bad things are bad things and everyone is capable of doing them. To define something like that as a sin, being bad against a gods will, belittles the fact that it is first and foremost a bad thing against a fellow human.

Yeah, it appears we have it the opposite way around. The way I see it is, if I put God first, then I will be able to be a better brother, friend, colleague etc. I believe God should impact my every day experience, and make me aware of other people. It isn't just because that I honour God first that I automatically should ignore everyone else, I would view that my faith should make me more perceptive to other people.
    smokingman wrote:
    ...this goes back to the arguement that some peeps think that you cannot have morals without religion - something I'm not going to into because it's been done to death. I'll just have to agree to disagree with you on that one and say that I think religion has nothing to do with it.

It doesn't. I personally believe that Christians can be immoral, and atheists moral and of course vice versa. I believe God gives us the capability of being moral however in that we were all given a conscience, and we can choose to ignore it and in turn disobey God, or indeed affirm it and follow God. The conscience is the door to better understanding right from wrong.
    smokingman wrote:
    So by that logic, you're not actually responsible for you own "salvation"?
    No. I am not good on my own merit. Jesus is the reason why I am able to be saved, because my sins have been forgiven by Him.
    For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God - not from works that no-one can boast.
    smokingman wrote:
    With you on the prayer thing but no matter how you do it, you're still seeking the thumbs-up for your life choices.

Interesting, perhaps if you could elaborate on this more. I don't want to misinterpret what you are saying.
    smokingman wrote:
    I've said this before but I think the beauty and sheer size of the universe is belittled every time I hear that it's all been created for us, an insignificant amoeba in the grand scheme of things.

I've heard this accusation numerous times, but I actually don't believe that this is all created just for us. I believe that the universe is a testament to God's glory and creative power. It isn't just for you and for I, that's why I would see this as being God's world, and not our world.

It is because we try to make it our world without any consideration that it is actually God's, that problems arise to begin with.

I thank God every day that He has given me the chance to be a part of His plan. I surely don't need to demonstrate to you what worth I give to God?
    You don't thank him every day.
    How do I know this?
    I'm the son of God. That's how.

See how easy it is to make unsubstatiated claims?
    That's exactly what Christianity is based on. Unsubstantiated claims and nothing more.

Again, that's all well and good, but why do you think this?
    Absolute lack of evidence.
    Analogous fairy tales from between 2,000 and 5,000 years ago do not prove anything relating to the existence of God.
    There is no evidence available to prove he exists, therefore he does not exist.

Indeed, the only difference between you and I is that I am willing to consider that God may well be a part of the reason.
    Considering the fact that you claim to thank God every day, I would say that you more than consider his existence. I would say that you firmly believe he exists.

It really isn't any more rational than anything else to say that God doesn't exist. One can keep bandying around the terms, but after a while logic and reason become meaningless if they are only used to applaud other atheists as to their vehement opposition of belief.

[/LIST]
    That is your take, again, just a rehashing of your current beliefs. If God doesn't exist, then those are the conclusions. If God does exist, it being a miracle is still very much an option. It just depends what possibilities one chooses to close themselves to.

The position that all existence is just a happy accident, isn't any more rational than anything else.

I'll address this when I get home.

Thoughts below in bold, chat again so Jackass.
    This will be my last post for a while, but I see something valuable in your post smokingman:

Yeah, it appears we have it the opposite way around. The way I see it is, if I put God first, then I will be able to be a better brother, friend, colleague etc. I believe God should impact my every day experience, and make me aware of other people. It isn't just because that I honour God first that I automatically should ignore everyone else, I would view that my faith should make me more perceptive to other people.

There's the difference, I believe everyone you come across in your day to day life should be dealt with in the same way as your god. To do so otherwise is reducing the importance of your personal relationships. My own "gods" are my wife and son and nothing will ever get in my way of putting them first above all.

It doesn't. I personally believe that Christians can be immoral, and atheists moral and of course vice versa. I believe God gives us the capability of being moral however in that we were all given a conscience, and we can choose to ignore it and in turn disobey God, or indeed affirm it and follow God. The conscience is the door to better understanding right from wrong.

True, all people are capable of both, regardless of race, religion, etc..
    Where we may differ though is maybe on the origin of our conscience. You believe it's god-given, I believe it's an evolutionary trait. Whichever way though, it's important we have one and I think we can agree on that.

No. I am not good on my own merit. Jesus is the reason why I am able to be saved, because my sins have been forgiven by Him.

Ah now, don't be down on yourself Jackass, I believe you are inherently good!
    I could go on about religious oppression of the self etc but in all fairness, you're awesome, take the credit for things you've been responsible for, i.e. your life :)

Interesting, perhaps if you could elaborate on this more. I don't want to misinterpret what you are saying.

Nay worries, prayer is talking to god and it's used to become closer to him yes? The way I see it, it's moreso pleading for acceptance, be it eventual entry to heaven or asking for guidance on choices you make - effectively looking for a thumbs-up that will only be delivered when a subjective interpretation of "that's god working right there on my behalf" is construed when something proves to be a right decision.

I've heard this accusation numerous times, but I actually don't believe that this is all created just for us. I believe that the universe is a testament to God's glory and creative power. It isn't just for you and for I, that's why I would see this as being God's world, and not our world.

It is because we try to make it our world without any consideration that it is actually God's, that problems arise to begin with.

Human arrogance will always put us, as a race, first. Humility is unfortunately, something that wasn't taught too well, even in your book.
    I can live in hope though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

From my experience - for the most part God seems to be an excuse, an excuse to hurt, to kill, to discriminate. Generally find that the most religious people in the world are always the ones to cast the first stone and never to forgive. Not blaming a possibly non existent deity for this, just saying for the most part people seem to be able to use god to justify some of the most horrific things this world has ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

I'm 28 and have just recently found my religon again. It just sort of happened one day while looking back at instances in my life. Now I thank God every night for all he's done for me. Sometimes i feel silly talking to what may just be a figment of my imagination that's been pushed on me through years of Irish primary school but we all have to believe in something right??

I like to think God is my conscience, That little voice inside that tells you you're doing wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Tilt Gone wrote: »
    I'm 28 and have just recently found my religon again. It just sort of happened one day while looking back at instances in my life. Now I thank God every night for all he's done for me. Sometimes i feel silly talking to what may just be a figment of my imagination that's been pushed on me through years of Irish primary school but we all have to believe in something right??

I like to think God is my conscience, That little voice inside that tells you you're doing wrong.

Curious as to why you thank god? Have you and others not done these things to you. Why do you attribute life and the **** that happens to it to a fellow in the sky?

Why can't your conscience be just that? I like to think generally we're all moral beings. Why do you need to attribute god to your own ability to stop you from doing wrong?

Finally we don't all have to belueve in something. Like that quote roughly goes cos I can't be bothered to google for it, "Is it not enough to admire the beauty of a garden than to also believe fairies live at the bottom of it".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

we all have to believe in something right??

No.

That voice is you. Give yourself some credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

To me, God is when:

1) You want the best kid to win but secretly you're hoping that the kid whose dad couldn't afford a decent tennis racket (racquet?) to win.

WTF?

have you got a split personality or something?

You want a kid to win but secretly you want some other kid to win??

Anyway couldn't God just magic that kid to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭RachPie

God to me, isn't a man or a woman or anything like that really. Just a comforting presence that helps me through hard times - that I speak to when I'm alone instead of burdening other people with my problems and takes me through any dark moments in my life. I'm not extrovertly spiritual or religious, but I've felt it.
    Being agnostic, I think there's something out there, even though I don't know what it is, it helps me.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

RachPie wrote: »
    God to me, isn't a man or a woman or anything like that really. Just a comforting presence that helps me through hard times - that I speak to when I'm alone.

People are committed for that kind of stuff.

Advertisement