Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is God to you?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Are the disagreements solely about theism? That person that said that they see god not as a being or creator, but a source of comfort isn't alluding to theism, they're alluding to finding comfort in an personally held idea. The people that automatically see that as irrational and attack it are not disagreeing with theism are they? They're disagreeing with somebody's personal philosophy

That's what I hate about threads like this. I'm an Atheist and yet I have no desire to belittle others who are not, or who have a philosophical view on something which incorporates god-words

All being an atheist means is people sharing in a lack of belief in a god, there is no rule that states everyone must have your desires regarding anything else. This is AH, there are threads making jokes on and about racism, paedophilia, abortion and rape, ffs. If people are going to be mortally offended by any comments that don't give blind reverence to their beliefs, then perhaps this isn't the right place for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

For me there's is no God as such ..that is if you think of god as a self concise ,free thinking entity.
    Or as someone that listens to private thought and then manipulates your world around according to what you have asked or done or not done.

For me god doesn't sit on a cloud or answer your prayers or interfere or manipulate your world .He doesn't meet you when you die.He doesn't punish you when you sin or send you to hell.
    I do often wonder why we give god human like qualities...anger,vengeance happiness, love
    God to me is way beyond all of that stuff....he or it(I'll refer to god as a he as it's easier) is the collective of everything in the universe....the laws of the universe....he's the the instinct of a butterfly to fly and mate having never been shown either by anything....the set speed of light...the temperature that water boils ......the beauty that a human finds in a flower or their child.

God is to me as a brain cell is to the mind ......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    No disagreements are not solely about theism. People have disagreements about a great many things. Why must the word belitte be used? If somebody says something that's illogical can someone not explain why it's illogical without being seen to belittle them, even if the illogical thing is a personal philosophy?

Is it logical to browbeat somebody who may have nothing in life but a belief in god? Is it rational to remove a 'source of comfort' from somebody just because that source also happens to be a god-word?

Of course it belittles them.. unless it changes their minds of course

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

raah! wrote: »
    I do.

Look on this forum. Look at any thread about religion or god or anything. Nearly half of the replies will be.

"yeaah, but Idon't believe in faries". And yes, there are arguments for that. But what purpose does that one liner serve? It's nothing other than a statement of perceived superiority. And if people haven't noticed this then they are blind.

In my opinion there is as much evidence for the christian god as there is for fairies. If you don't like this that's not my problem. I remember watching a video once about a sceptic website and the presenter said that people would often go from page to page laughing at the various ridiculous things people believe until they got to their own pet theory and suddenly they'd get offended even though it was presented in exactly the same style as the rest. I've done it myself I have to say.

I think you'll find that people in general can be perceived to be rude about other people's opinions but no one notices until it's their opinions that are under the spotlight. As I said during the Lisbon campaign the yes side were constantly accused of arrogance and condescension. I think people just notice it more with things like atheism because people identify themselves so closely with their beliefs and feel personally insulted when someone argues against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Is punishment by the government (or their peers) not a reason?
    It is indeed. I used this in my example of a non-arbitrary moraly system. I think you're desire to disprove some religious statement is clouding the issues at hand. This line quoted suggests you haven't been following my arguments at all in anyway. From the start I've been saying the same things.
    You say that the world as it exists today supports your arguments but that under my system a person can decide to act how he pleases to other people through his strength and ingenuity. If a god exists then why is this, why are there thieves robbers and corporate fat cats? Looks to me like if there is a god these people can do what they want under his system too no?
    If you'd like to question that particular moral system we can. Free will is one answer amongst many. But it is beside the point.
    Or would it be more logical to conclude that there isn't one?
    Again, if your definition god, and god given morality was such that "it's not possible for people to do bad", then people doing those things would contradict this definition logically, yes.
    Why did god say that good things are good? Did he have a reason or are we just not allowed ask what it was, the "god works in mysterious ways" cop out?
    Again, the same questions can be applied to a governmentally derived moral system. I put the two there for deliberate comparison. The "god works in mysterious ways" is one such cop-out which would be more difficult to apply to the government. Now we can go on the discuss this, but not whilst still arguing about your empirically derived non-arbitrary moral system, as that will confuse things. We could, but I believe we can actually deductively reach conclusions. Conclusions based on the words and definitions we're using which are already there.
    No I'm not. I'm saying that if my system is arbitrary then so is yours
    If your system entails crossing humes gap, then this hinges on your providing arguments against why you can go from an is to an ought, as our hilariously named donkey oaty put it.
    Yup, with or without a god. The god concept just allows us to avoid asking difficult questions by imagining an authority figure who we're not allowed to ask questions of. It's logic that amounts to little more than "a wizard did it"

Either way, a system based on a wizard doing it would be less arbitrary than one where a wizard didn't do it. The legitimacy of wizards is no the question at hand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

del88 wrote: »
    God to me is way beyond all of that stuff....he or it(I'll refer to god as a he as it's easier) is the collective of everything in the universe....the laws of the universe....he's the the instinct of a butterfly to fly and mate having never been shown either by anything....the set speed of light...the temperature that water boils ......the beauty that a human finds in a flower or a their child.

No doubt our physicist friend can confirm this, but I understand that water boils at different temperatures according to altitude or atmospheric pressure, and there is much controversy over whether the speed of light is constant.

In other words, He's even more interesting than you thought He was!

Is it logical to browbeat somebody who may have nothing in life but a belief in god? Is it rational to remove a 'source of comfort' from somebody just because that source also happens to be a god-word?

Of course it belittles them.. unless it changes their minds of course

Well that's the thing isn't it, unless it changes their minds. If someone wants to cling desperately to a belief after they've been shown logically and thoroughly that it doesn't make any sense it's not the other person's fault if they feel belittled is it? I for one would prefer to know the truth than be comfortable in a falsehood and if someone shows me to be wrong I will thank them and change my position. Maybe others would prefer to be comfortably deluded and attack anyone who attempts to point out the inconvenient truth but that's hardly the fault of the person pointing it out is it?

In my opinion there is as much evidence for the christian god as there is for fairies. If you don't like this that's not my problem. I remember watching a video once about a sceptic website and the presenter said that people would often go from page to page laughing at the various ridiculous things people believe until they got to their own pet theory and suddenly they'd get offended even though it was presented in exactly the same style as the rest. I've done it myself I have to say.

I think you'll find that people in general can be perceived to be rude about other people's opinions but no one notices until it's their opinions that are under the spotlight. As I said during the Lisbon campaign the yes side were constantly accused of arrogance and condescension. I think people just notice it more with things like atheism because people identify themselves so closely with their beliefs and feel personally insulted when someone argues against them.

Ateism itself is not based on mockery. Neither is the yes lisbon campaign (well I don't know anything about this). My point is, that "new atheism" can be effectively described as apart from a set of arguments. It's something apart from atheism. That's why the term exists. And it wouldn't matter, if the term didn't exist I'd only be using a longer sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

No doubt our physicist friend can confirm this, but I understand that water boils at different temperatures according to altitude or atmospheric pressure, and there is much controversy over whether the speed of light is constant.

Indeed he (or it) is;)

It is indeed. I used this in my example of a non-arbitrary moraly system. I think you're desire to disprove some religious statement is clouding the issues at hand. This line quoted suggests you haven't been following my arguments at all in anyway. From the start I've been saying the same things.

If you'd like to question that particular moral system we can. Free will is one answer amongst many. But it is beside the point.

Again, if your definition god, and god given morality was such that "it's not possible for people to do bad", then people doing those things would contradict this definition logically, yes.
    Yes I would like to question it. You said "A person can decide to act how he pleases to other people through is strength and ingenuity, based on your "it's nice to live together". And a society can act how it wants to other societies based on "it's nice to live together." What exactly is stopping them under the system of "god says you shouldn't but isn't actually going to do anything about it until after you die?"*

*unless you believe in Jesus in which case you're hunky dory.
    Again, the same questions can be applied to a governmentally derived moral system. I put the two there for deliberate comparison. The "god works in mysterious ways" is one such cop-out which would be more difficult to apply to the government. Now we can go on the discuss this, but not whilst still arguing about your empirically derived non-arbitrary moral system, as that will confuse things. We could, but I believe we can actually deductively reach conclusions. Conclusions based on the words and definitions we're using which are already there.
    You're the only one talking about a governmentally derived system. That's just as much an argument from authority as a god derived system. I'm talking about a system based on shared values where rules are not defined based on the edicts of an authority figure but agreed on by everybody based on the fact that there are great many things that are universally undesirable.

To go back to my example of why rape should be illegal you just have to ask yourself if you would like to be raped or could imagine anyone wanting to be raped. The infinite loop of why stops inside your head. You don't want to be raped. Why you don't want to be raped doesn't matter. You don't want to be raped and no one else does either so we all agree that rape should be illegal. No argument from authority required. To borrow from the bible it's "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
    If your system entails crossing humes gap, then this hinges on your providing arguments against why you can go from an is to an ought, as our hilariously named donkey oaty put it.

Either way, a system based on a wizard doing it would be less arbitrary than one where a wizard didn't do it. The legitimacy of wizards is no the question at hand.

Why is it less arbitrary? Why must the wizard not provide reasons and cross Hume's gap just as much as any other system?

The "legitimacy of wizards is not the question at hand" because, as I said, the god concept is just a way of dodging these questions

• Advertisement

Ateism itself is not based on mockery. Neither is the yes lisbon campaign (well I don't know anything about this). My point is, that "new atheism" can be effectively described as apart from a set of arguments. It's something apart from atheism. That's why the term exists. And it wouldn't matter, if the term didn't exist I'd only be using a longer sentence.

As far as I'm concerned the term exists as a convenient slur for theists to beat atheists with, a way to dismiss someone without addressing their arguments. People who disagree with each other are sometimes not very nice about expressing this disagreement and sometimes don't give other people's opinions the respect they think they deserve. This is not unique to atheism, it's just pointed out more about atheists, as far as I'm concerned because the arguments theists use are so weak. As I said ad hominem attacks are the last ditch attempt of beaten people.

del88 wrote: »
    God to me is way beyond all of that stuff....he or it(I'll refer to god as a he as it's easier) is the collective of everything in the universe....the laws of the universe....he's the the instinct of a butterfly to fly and mate having never been shown either by anything....the set speed of light...the temperature that water boils ......the beauty that a human finds in a flower or their child.

And our biologist friends can explain how a butterfly has the instinct to fly without ever being shown. Evolution

Yes I would like to question it. You said "A person can decide to act how he pleases to other people through is strength and ingenuity, based on your "it's nice to live together". And a society can act how it wants to other societies based on "it's nice to live together." What exactly is stopping them under the system of "god says you shouldn't but isn't actually going to do anything about it until after you die?"

Ok, well under any moral system, the moral system itself does not physically stop you from doing anything. We are talking about ethics as well, so it's about "what can we do ethically" not just, "what can we do".

So it doesn't matter if nothing stops them from doing it, just that what they are doing can be called wrong. Which your system cannot. Now if you say "I don't care", then this immediately excludes you from any moral argument. And (If you'll allow me to start talking about your position as you have been doing mine), many of your beloved criticisms about religion will lose any meaning.
    You're the only one talking about a governmentally derived system. That's just as much an argument from authority as a god derived system. I'm talking about a system based on shared values where rules are not defined based on the edicts of an authority figure but agreed on by everybody based on the fact that there are great many things that are universally undesirable.
    The authority of the majority? Lets call it a democratic government.
    To go back to my example of why rape should be illegal you just have to ask yourself if you would like to be raped or could imagine anyone wanting to be raped. The infinite loop of why stops inside your head. You don't want to be raped. Why you don't want to be raped doesn't matter. You don't want to be raped and no one else does either so we all agree that rape should be illegal. No argument from authority required. To borrow from the bible it's "do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
    In think what I have said above responds to this. You are jumping ahead without first justifying your premises. That's what I've been talking about the whole time. Arbitrariness of this "shared value system". Now, the only thing stopping this is if you just say "we agree that our universal shared values are good".
    Why is it less arbitrary? Why must the wizard not provide reasons and cross Hume's gap just as much as any other system?
    Because he's a wizard :). I already said, a million times, all moral systems are in some sense arbitrary, and if not them, then the axioms preceeding them. Just as any moral axioms could be said to be arbitrary by definition.
    The "legitimacy of wizards is not the question at hand" because, as I said, the god concept is just a way of dodging these questions

In my opinion, there is no-one more guilty than dodging these questions than the new atheist brigade. "I'm an atheist and I'm nice" As I've said previously, is the almost the only argument ever given. And it shows a massive misunderstanding of the issues at hand

As far as I'm concerned the term exists as a convenient slur for theists to beat atheists with, a way to dismiss someone without addressing their arguments. People who disagree with each other are sometimes not very nice about expressing this disagreement and sometimes don't give other people's opinions the respect they think they deserve. This is not unique to atheism, it's just pointed out more about atheists, as far as I'm concerned because the arguments theists use are so weak. As I said ad hominem attacks are the last ditch attempt of beaten people.

So do you actually think taht there is no difference between modern atheism, and the likes of nietzche or... pretty much anyone who isn't a small class of people who could be described as "new atheists"

Do you not believe that a group of people who congregate together on the basis of one shared view cannot devolope more shared views?

Ok, well under any moral system, the moral system itself does not physically stop you from doing anything. We are talking about ethics as well, so it's about "what can we do ethically" not just, "what can we do".

So it doesn't matter if nothing stops them from doing it, just that what they are doing can be called wrong. Which your system cannot. Now if you say "I don't care", then this immediately excludes you from any moral argument. And (If you'll allow me to start talking about your position as you have been doing mine), many of your beloved criticisms about religion will lose any meaning.
    Oh right so it's semantics. I can say that their actions are not compatible with social living, that they are doing things that they would not like done to themselves and that they will be punished by the society if they are caught but you can say it's wrong, then presumably sit back and watch people massacre each other secure in the knowledge that what they're doing is wrong.

What does it matter if you can say something is "wrong", if the end result of people harming each other is exactly the same?
    The authority of the majority? Lets call it a democratic government.
    You're clutching at straws now. A democratic government is answerable to the people, they are not an unquestionable authority and if they don't do what the people want they will be thrown out. Democracy is not an argument from authority. Until we find ourselves in a situation where the majority of people list their hobbies as something along the lines of "being raped, having all my money stolen and getting my teeth kicked in" we can define an ethical system just fine without any need for an argument for authority and where the end result is just as good as any god derived system except I can't have that sense of smug satisfaction that comes from knowing that the person who is about to slit my throat is doing something that is objectively wrong

Because he's a wizard :). I already said, a million times, all moral systems are in some sense arbitrary, and if not them, then the axioms preceeding them. Just as any moral axioms could be said to be arbitrary by definition.

In my opinion, there is no-one more guilty than dodging these questions than the new atheist brigade.
    If all moral systems are arbitrary why even mention god's one?

One of my main reasons for being an atheist and I'm sure the same can be said for many, is that I realised that the god concept is just a way of dodging these questions. You want us to give you a system of objective morality but we can't do that. What we can do is define a system where a society can survive and flourish, even though we can't use the words "right" and "wrong" in a way that only makes sense if a god defined them and, as I said, doesn't actually make any more sense that way either. It just passes the buck to a magic man and says we're not allowed question him.

So do you actually think taht there is no difference between modern atheism, and the likes of nietzche or... pretty much anyone who isn't a small class of people who could be described as "new atheists"

Do you not believe that a group of people who congregate together on the basis of one shared view cannot devolope more shared views?

I think that until very recently atheists would have been putting themselves in serious danger for saying the things they now do. I notice a difference between "new gay people" and "new black people" too because they're no longer discriminated against to the extent they once were. Even today in America atheists are the least likely to be voted for:http://www.gallup.com/poll/26611/some-americans-reluctant-vote-mormon-72yearold-presidential-candidates.aspx

As I said before, the things that atheists are saying aren't new and a perception of rudeness is far from unique to atheism, we're just allowed say it now without serious consequences

atheists1.jpg

Oh right so it's semantics. I can say that their actions are not compatible with social living, that they are doing things that they would not like done to themselves and that they will be punished by the society if they are caught but you can say it's wrong, then presumably sit back and watch people massacre each other secure in the knowledge that what they're doing is wrong.

What does it matter if you can say something is "wrong", if the end result of people harming each other is exactly the same?

It's relevant to your claims about a non-arbitrarily defined moral system based on shared values. I think enough has been said for us to discard this idea.

So, it's possible to construct a moral system based on shared values (based on empathy evolution). Would you like to continue the debate freshly from here?
    You're clutching at straws now. A democratic government is answerable to the people, they are not an unquestionable authority and if they don't do what the people want they will be thrown out. Democracy is not an argument from authority. Until we find ourselves in a situation where the majority of people list their hobbies as something along the lines of "being raped, having all my money stolen and getting my teeth kicked in" we can define an ethical system just fine without any need for an argument for authority and where the end result is just as good as any god derived system except I can't have that sense of smug satisfaction that comes from knowing that the person who is about to slit my throat is doing something that is objectively wrong
    Again, this is slightly off topic, but I don't mind discussing it, as these are all inter-related things. None of this supports your claims of non-arbitrariness. And I can go further to say why I think that these "semantic" points are important and relevant. If you'd like to discuss that that is. At the moment we are talking to each other because you did not accept my statement about arbitrariness.

If all moral system are arbitrary why even mention god's one?
    Again I said moral axioms can be arbitrary. The systems themselves are not. That one in particular, a governmental one. Since we can't cross hume's gap, we simply start on the other side. And if it's a first point it can't have any supporting reasons, because it's the first one, and is therefore arbitrary. It then becomes a question of why is this a good first point. You've made your arguments about people agreeing on the values, and If you'd like to continue this discussion from the safety of the "ought" side of hume's gap, then we can do that.
    One of my main reasons for being an atheist and I'm sure the same can be said for many, is that I realised that the god concept is just a way of dodging these questions. You want us to give you a system of objective morality but we can't do that. What we can do is define a system where a society can survive and flourish, even though we can't use the words "right" and "wrong" in a way that only makes sense if a god defined them and, as I said, doesn't actually make any more sense that way either. It just passes the buck to a magic man and says we're not allowed question him.
    This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say they were an atheist because the god thing dodges questions of moral arbitrariness. Normally people talk about faries and science.

I don't want "ye" to do anything. I just made a statement about the arbitrary nature of moral systems, and about the failings of one based on "shared values" like empathy, and chemical releases.

I don't know if a moral system is even necessary for society to survive and flourish. As I said, moral systems are for people who like to say that their actions have been based in reason.

I've also made the point that the words right and wrong have the meaning you attribute to them. A society where people describe everyone living together and related concepts as being "good" would be just as logically justified as people who define god's word as what "good" is.

I think that until very recently atheists would have been putting themselves in serious danger for saying the things they now do. I notice a difference between "new gay people" and "new black people" too because they're no longer discriminated against to the extent they once were. Even today in America atheists are the least likely to be voted for:http://www.gallup.com/poll/26611/some-americans-reluctant-vote-mormon-72yearold-presidential-candidates.aspx

As I said before, the things that atheists are saying aren't new and a perception of rudeness is far from unique to atheism, we're just allowed say it now without serious consequences

atheists1.jpg

I've already said a million times, yes nothing they are saying is new, it's more scientifically based, definitely.

My point is, that something "back in the old days atheists..." isn't really a proper statement, because atheism, was back then just a non-belief in god. Nowadays, of course there is still people who are "just atheists", and we can even say "just scientific atheists"

But go anywhere onto any of the forums on the internet and have a look. I'm not going to accept then that "atheism" is nothing more than atheism.

It's relevant to your claims about a non-arbitrarily defined moral system based on shared values. I think enough has been said for us to discard this idea.

So, it's possible to construct a moral system based on shared values (based on empathy evolution). Would you like to continue the debate freshly from here?

Again, this is slightly off topic, but I don't mind discussing it, as these are all inter-related things. None of this supports your claims of non-arbitrariness. And I can go further to say why I think that these "semantic" points are important and relevant. If you'd like to discuss that that is. At the moment we are talking to each other because you did not accept my statement about arbitrariness.

Again I said moral axioms can be arbitrary. The systems themselves are not. That one in particular, a governmental one. Since we can't cross hume's gap, we simply start on the other side. And if it's a first point it can't have any supporting reasons, because it's the first one, and is therefore arbitrary. It then becomes a question of why is this a good first point. You've made your arguments about people agreeing on the values, and If you'd like to continue this discussion from the safety of the "ought" side of hume's gap, then we can do that.

I don't want "ye" to do anything. I just made a statement about the arbitrary nature of moral systems, and about the failings of one based on "shared values" like empathy, and chemical releases.

I don't know if a moral system is even necessary for society to survive and flourish. As I said, moral systems are for people who like to say that their actions have been based in reason.

I've also made the point that the words right and wrong have the meaning you attribute to them. A society where people describe everyone living together and related concepts as being "good" would be just as logically justified as people who define god's word as what "good" is.
    I think the problem here is that you're assuming that there must be an ought.

Why is our ethical system defined the way it is? Because it must be that way to allow social living

Why must it be that way? Because the objective facts of our universe constrain them to be that way. Stabbing kills. If we were made of stone it wouldn't but we're not so it does. Our universe constrains us to say that stabbing must be prohibited.

Why is the universe the way it is? Why must there be a why? We don't ask what is the deeper meaning and purpose behind a snow storm or a rock in a valley on Mars is so why must we ask why the universe is the way it is? Even asking that question assumes that there is an intelligence behind it. The universe is the way it is and this constrains our ethical systems. You might then argue that the universe itself is arbitrary but it is still objective and still constrains ethical systems which are consequently not arbitrary or at least no more arbitrary than any system that begins with a god. The atheist gets out of this infinite is-ought loop by saying that the universe doesn't have an ought, it has no reason, where the theist just avoids the question by saying that an unquestionable authority figure has a reason but we're not allowed to ask what it is.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone say they were an atheist because the god thing dodges questions of moral arbitrariness. Normally people talk about faries and science.
    I said it was one of the reasons. And I'm sure you've heard many atheists say that the god concept doesn't make any sense as a reason for being an atheist

I've already said a million times, yes nothing they are saying is new, it's more scientifically based, definitely.

My point is, that something "back in the old days atheists..." isn't really a proper statement, because atheism, was back then just a non-belief in god. Nowadays, of course there is still people who are "just atheists", and we can even say "just scientific atheists"

But go anywhere onto any of the forums on the internet and have a look. I'm not going to accept then that "atheism" is nothing more than atheism.

What you're probably thinking of is anti-theism. Lots of people have opinions that they're not vocal about and lots that they are. Some people are vocal about their atheism in a way that they couldn't be before. This is not a problem with atheism, it's a good thing since we now live in a society where people don't have to be afraid to speak their mind

• Advertisement

I think the problem here is that you're assuming that there must be an ought.
    Well I like this turn of argument. But there certainly must be an ought for us to talk about ethics or to condemn some actions while praising others. It's the source of all value judgements. I wouldn't mind you saying "there doesn't have to be an ought" if you didn't then respond to arguments about the superiority of one system over an other.
    Why is our ethical system defined the way it is? Because it must be that way to allow social living

Ok there are many systems which allow social living. Not just those you've defined. Your position becomes self-contradictory when you say things like "slavery is bad" or other such metaphysical absolutes. Remember when I say things like this I'm not talking about people within a society enslaving each other, though it wouldn't be difficult to construct a system where this works, but that would only confuse matters.
    Why must it be that way? Because the objective facts of our universe constrain them to be that way. Stabbing kills. If we were made of stone it wouldn't but we're not so it does so our universe constrains us to say that stabbing must be prohibited.

In my opinion, this argument here is the exact same as jakkass universally conceived god-given conscience. If we were universally constrained to not kill each other by the fact that killing things is something we don't wish on ourselves, then nobody would kill anybody.

I think we've at least reached a passage into another realm of discussion. And I'll redefine my initial points to take your moral system into account.

I believe that an atheistic moral system derived only from shared emotions, is inferior to one based on a god concept in many ways.

- I believe people would behave less morally under such a system. (here I will appeal to things that you have said, or that we can all agree on because of our "shared values" rape, slavery, wars, no incentive to give moneys to charities, all of the problems that arise from definition of an "other")

- I believe that it is just as arbitrary as belief in a god.

- As an axiom , and reason to follow a moral system, a god-derived one has more reason to accept it. I.e a loving god is more aesthetically pleasing than a bunch of apes thinking of ways to have more sex with each other. Note I understand this isn't aesthetically pleasig to everyone, and perhaps the time where it can be is over, but it can be rephrased as, theistic people are more attracted to this idea than non-theistic people are to the idea of selflessly devoting themselves to society in self interest.

And if you'd like to argue against my use of the word "belief" just exchange it with a statement of absolute certainty.

Well I like this turn of argument. But there certainly must be an ought for us to talk about ethics or to condemn some actions while praising others. It's the source of all value judgements. I wouldn't mind you saying "there doesn't have to be an ought" if you didn't then respond to arguments about the superiority of one system over an other.

Ok there are many systems which allow social living. Not just those you've defined. Your position becomes self-contradictory when you say things like "slavery is bad" or other such metaphysical absolutes. Remember when I say things like this I'm not talking about people within a society enslaving each other, though it wouldn't be difficult to construct a system where this works, but that would only confuse matters.
    you're the only one talking about metaphysical absolutes. As I keep saying a non god derived system can't do that. What I can say is that "indiscriminate slavery is detrimental to society".

Why is it detrimental to society? Because it leads to perpetual fighting which makes society impossible.

Why do we want to live in society? Because evolution gave us that instinct.

Why did it give us that instinct? Because that instinct was conducive to survival.

Why is it conducive to survival? Because the objective facts of our universe mean that mutual cooperation means more people survive.

Why are the objective facts of the universe the way they are? There is no why. They just are.

Why do I need an ought in any of the above?
    In my opinion, this argument here is the exact same as jakkass universally conceived god-given conscience. If we were universally constrained to not kill each other by the fact that killing things is something we don't wish on ourselves, then nobody would kill anybody.
    No it wouldn't :confused:

I never said we were universally constrained not to kill each other. I said that we have a universal desire not to be killed and from this we can derive a law that we can all agree on that killing should be prohibited. This does not prevent individuals breaking the law when it benefits them but no system does.
    I think we've at least reached a passage into another realm of discussion. And I'll redefine my initial points to take your moral system into account.

I believe that an atheistic moral system derived only from shared emotions, is inferior to one based on a god concept in many ways.

- I believe people would behave less morally under such a system. (here I will appeal to things that you have said, or that we can all agree on because of our "shared values" rape, slavery, wars, no incentive to give moneys to charities, all of the problems that arise from definition of an "other")

- I believe that it is just as arbitrary as belief in a god.

- As an axiom , and reason to follow a moral system, a god-derived one has more reason to accept it. I.e a loving god is more aesthetically pleasing than a bunch of apes thinking of ways to have more sex with each other. Note I understand this isn't aesthetically pleasig to everyone, and perhaps the time where it can be is over, but it can be rephrased as, theistic people are more attracted to this idea than non-theistic people are to the idea of selflessly devoting themselves to society in self interest.

And if you'd like to argue against my use of the word "belief" just exchange it with a statement of absolute certainty.

You've fallen into the common theistic trap of arguing why a god would be useful. As I've said many times in this thread I fully agree that a system where all immorality is punished and where everyone is fully aware of this would be better than the system I describe. The point you seem to be missing is that the fact that a moral system derived from a god would be better does not mean that a god exists. We're back to comparing cars to teleporters. No amount of telling me how much better teleporters are changes the fact that teleporters do not exist. I would rather face reality and work with the ethical system we can derive ourselves than (metaphorically) sit at home letting my car rust while imagining how great it would be to have a teleporter. My point here is that an ethical system can be derived without god and is not worthless, which you seem to accept. Any argument about how much better morality would be under a god is moot until you it can be shown that this god actually exists

you're the only one talking about metaphysical absolutes. As I keep saying a non god derived system can't do that. What I can say is that "indiscriminate slavery is detrimental to society".

One could argue that indsicriminate lots of things would be bad for society. Just as one could argue that slavery which discriminates is good for a particular society. And discrimination between people can be drawn from "objective facts of the universe". Ie, all it takes to discriminate between black and wihte is noticing a difference in skin colour.
    Why is it detrimental to society? Because it leads to perpetual fighting which makes society impossible.

Why do we want to live in society? Because evolution gave us that instinct.

Why did it give us that instinct? Because that instinct was conducive to survival.

Why is it conducive to survival? Because the objective facts of our universe mean that mutual cooperation means more people survive.

Why are the objective facts of the universe the way they are? There is no why. They just are.

Why do I need an ought in any of the above?

The ought is for when someone comes a long and says "I don't care about certain people or whether they survive. As long as I have enough people to ensure my survivial." The same argument applies with respect to inter-society relationships

No it wouldn't :confused:

I never said we were universally constrained not to kill each other. I said that we have a universal desire not to be killed and from this we can derive a law that we can all agree on that killing should be prohibited. This does not prevent individuals breaking the law when it benefits them but no system does.

Not only does it not prevent them, it encourages this sort of behaviour. (that is assuming we're basing it on evolutionary principles and things like enlightened self interest)
    You've fallen into the common theistic trap of arguing why a god would be useful. As I've said many times in this thread I fully agree that a system where all immorality is punished and where everyone is fully aware of this would be better than the system I describe. The point you seem to be missing is that the fact that a moral system derived from a god would be better does not mean that a god exists. We're back to comparing cars to teleporters. No amount of telling me how much better teleporters are changes the fact that teleporters do not exist. I would rather face reality and work with the ethical system we can derive ourselves than (metaphorically) sit at home letting my car rust while imagining how great it would be to have a teleporter

Well again, this debate started out as "atheists can be just as moral as religious people, arguments that religious people put forward about atheists with regard to morals are ridiculous and unfounded". Also it does come down to metaphysical absolutes, namely good and bad, and a concrete physical existance is not necessary to move logically from one metaphysical absolute to anohter.

And you can say "we atheists question everything, and we're virtuous upstanding yadaydyaydyad", but in relating all you seem to be questioning is religion. A questioning of everything would probably lead to nihilism. But you're not starting this from a point of view of nihilism. You're saying "I'm an atheist and am completely rational, I question everytihng and only believe thigns that are true".

You are moral because you want to be. People believe in god because they want to.

You could say "no science is logically correct", but logic depends on axioms. And why do people find the axioms of empiricism, and those of science so appealing? Is it because they think it leads to truth? Maybe some people. Why does the common man like science so much? It means he can sleep in a more comfy bed, have more sex etc. (I once heard this argument in a discussion between a monk and a scientist in some book. It was nearly 7 years ago and I can't remember the name of the book. Needless to say I recently re-discovered it whilst considering the value of axioms)

I had this discussion with my friend recently, and we focused on "everyone walks into walls", to talk about empiricism. "If you walk into a wall you'll bump your nose". Yes If your only interest is things like bumping your nose, then you need only admit the existence of things like walls.

One could argue that indsicriminate lots of things would be bad for society. Just as one could argue that slavery which descriminates is good for a particular society. And discrimination between people can be drawn from "objective facts of the universe". Ie, all it takes to discriminate between black and wihte is noticing a difference in skin colour.

The ought is for when someone comes a long and says "I don't care about certain people or whether they survive. As long as I have enough people to ensure my survivial." The same argument applies with respect to inter-society relationships
    Both of those things are true and that reasoning is why we have had so many conflicts in our history. You pointing this out does not change it and it doesn't not change the fact that these things happen whether god exists or not. Neither does pointing out that the system isn't perfect mean it is worthless
    Not only does it not prevent them, it encourages this sort of behaviour. (that is assuming we're basing it on evolutionary principles and things like enlightened self interest)
    Actually no it doesn't encourage this behaviour. Humans are social animals. A human that does not want to live by the rules must either separate himself from the society putting himself in danger or expend great effort making sure the rest of the society never discovers his duplicity. Humans are social animals because being social animals is conducive to survival.

Well again, this debate started out as "atheists can be just as moral as religious people, arguments that religious people put forward about atheists with regard to morals are ridiculous and unfounded".
    Actually for me it started with you saying that without god our ethics can be "whatever we want". They can't as I have shown
    Also it does come down to metaphysical absolutes, namely good and bad, and a concrete physical existance is not necessary to move logically from one metaphysical absolute to anohter.
    No it doesn't. Those concepts don't make any sense in the absence of a god and even with a god they only seem to serve the purpose of giving a sense of smug satisfaction to people who still can't do anything to prevent people harming each other.

And you can say "we atheists question everything, and we're virtuous upstanding yadaydyaydyad", but in relating all you seem to be questioning is religion. A questioning of everything would probably lead to nihilism. But you're not starting this from a point of view of nihilism. You're saying "I'm an atheist and am completely rational, I question everytihng and only believe thigns that are true".

You could say "no science is logically correct", but logic depends on axioms. And why do people find the axioms of empiricism, and those of science so appealing? Is it because they think it leads to truth? Maybe some people. Why does the common man like science so much? It means he can sleep in a more comfy bed, have more sex etc.

I had this discussion with my friend recently, and we focused on "everyone walks into walls", to talk about empiricism. "If you walk into a wall you'll bump your nose". Yes If your only interest is things like bumping your nose, then you need only admit the existence of things like walls.

Atheists question everything except those things for which asking questions makes no sense. As I said we don't ask the purpose of a snow storm or a rock. They just are. Without a god asking why the universe is the way it is makes no sense, so we don't ask that question. The theist imagines an intelligent being and even though an intelligent being with intelligent reasons logically demands that we ask what those reasons are, they say that we're not allowed ask them because god is an unquestionable authority figure. The atheist answers all questions that demand answers. The theist dodges the question by making an argument to authority
    You are moral because you want to be. People believe in god because they want to.
    I'm moral because I care about other people and because I want to live in a society without constantly being on my guard lest I get caught for my evil deeds. Based on your argument here it seems you believe in god because you think it would be better if he existed. Can I have a go on your teleporter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

smokingman, I appreciate the discussion. I particularly like your post, because there is a lot of you in it.
    smokingman wrote:
    There's the difference, I believe everyone you come across in your day to day life should be dealt with in the same way as your god. To do so otherwise is reducing the importance of your personal relationships. My own "gods" are my wife and son and nothing will ever get in my way of putting them first above all.

Perhaps a better explanation of my position is this. God is my common reference point between myself and others. I realise that other people were created in God's image like I was. If God is in common with all others, then knowing God should ultimately help me in living out my life amongst others.

Perhaps a less convoluted explanation would be like this:
    1 John 4:9 wrote:
    We love because he first loved us.
    smokingman wrote:
    Nay worries, prayer is talking to god and it's used to become closer to him yes? The way I see it, it's moreso pleading for acceptance, be it eventual entry to heaven or asking for guidance on choices you make - effectively looking for a thumbs-up that will only be delivered when a subjective interpretation of "that's god working right there on my behalf" is construed when something proves to be a right decision.

I don't know. Prayer of course is an intrinsic part of being in relationship with God. However, as for pleading for acceptance, I'm not sure about this. From what I have read of the Bible, it seems that Christianity is unique in the respect that it doesn't say that we have to do things to be accepted, but rather that God has accepted us first from the start. I don't need to pray to know that I am accepted.

I do pray in order to further my relationship with God, to praise Him when He is at work, to ask Him to give clarity in confusion, to pray for wisdom to more clearly communicate the good news of Jesus to my friends, on boards and so on. My journey with God is one that has ups and downs, and navigating through those, and seeing where God wants me to be is probably where prayer comes in.

I personally edge away from the view of prayer as a giant checklist, because I don't think that is what it is about. I personally believe that God will act according to His will, and that God can say no. If God never said no to our prayers, we would be God's puppeteers. God would no longer be Himself, but would be controlled by us.
    smokingman wrote:
    Ah now, don't be down on yourself Jackass, I believe you are inherently good!
    I could go on about religious oppression of the self etc but in all fairness, you're awesome, take the credit for things you've been responsible for, i.e. your life

For me that isn't being down on myself. It is a recognition of reality, I know what I am capable of, but I am glad that I can live by example. The point is, that I don't believe anyone is inherently good in that we have all done wrong.
    smokingman wrote:
    Human arrogance will always put us, as a race, first. Humility is unfortunately, something that wasn't taught too well, even in your book.
    I can live in hope though

I assume by my book, you mean the Bible?

Actually no it doesn't encourage this behaviour. Humans are social animals. A human that does not want to live by the rules must either separate himself from the society putting himself in danger or expend great effort making sure the rest of the society never discovers his duplicity. Humans are social animals because being social animals is conducive to survival.

Well I think it's time that we start to address determinism. And whether or not we are any different from our genes. I mean, even physical determinism isn't necessary if you just conveniently define what you want to be what your genes have programmed you to desire, chemically. Your arguments keep reducing to evolutionary things, and I know "new atheists" don't to consider human beings as being special animals. But here is how I look at it. If we are not able to control our actions with reason, and if we are completely determined physically, then this argument doesn't matter. If we can, then your lowering us to the level of dogs could at the very least be considered aesthetically displeasing, and probably contrary to your elevated ideas of human beings capacity to ascertain truth. (this is an assumption, correct me if it's wrong. Often very scientifically minded people put this forward, and since you are arguing from a completely from a scientific/empircal point of view, it's not ridiculous to suppose that you value scientific knowledge above other kinds).

Also, you cited as the final reason being that it's conducive to survival. Raping people without being cought, killing people and stealing their food, eating babies etc.

A successful serial rapist is far more evolutionarly successful than a person who has less sex regularly

Actually for me it started with you saying that without god our ethics can be "whatever we want". They can't as I have shown
    What you have shown is that certain ethical systems lead to the death of the person holding them. That doesn't show they can't be held. My statement there was a statement in opposition to holding metaphysical absolutes without something like god to roote them in.
    No it doesn't. Those concepts don't make any sense in the absence of a god and even with a god they only seem to serve the purpose of giving a sense of smug satisfaction to people who still can't do anything to prevent people harming each other.

Well it does. Here's a nice example. We both want to stop a person from harming someone (in a way such that he cannot be caught), and lets say for the sake of argument, he will accept both of our first axioms.

So I go on a big spiel about god and all that and tell him that harming that person would be objectively wrong

You say "I like living in a society, so do you. Evolution."

He accepts this and then goes ahead with the rape, firm in the knowledge that he has done nothing wrong, and is in line with the principles of serving his genes, lengthening his survival, and increasing tasty dopamine realeases.

Atheists question everything except those things for which asking questions makes no sense. As I said we don't ask the purpose of a snow storm or a rock. They just are. Without a god asking why the universe is the way it is makes no sense, so we don't ask that question. The theist imagines an intelligent being and even though an intelligent being with intelligent reasons logically demands that we ask what those reasons are, they say that we're not allowed ask them because god is an unquestionable authority figure. The atheist answers all questions that demand answers. The theist dodges the question by making an argument to authority.

So to paraphrase, "the atheist doesn't ask why questions, unless they mean to inquire into causes". "theists ask why questions, necessetating appropriate answers, and this makes them idiots". This raises the questions about consciousness and again, free will. If we are completely determined then we need not worry, and we can't argue about anything. If you were intellectually honest, your series of "what cause" questions combined with your materialism would necessitate and immediate acceptance of determinism, which would completely invalidate anything you had to say about any moral argument.

Also you should understand that there is more than one type of theist.
    I'm moral because I care about other people
    Do you care about all people? And yes, I forgot to include this. Perfect people who love everyone (actually I did include it when I mentioned a love cult some pages ago) do not need a moral system. This can be reduced to "I don't want to hurt other people because I don't want to hurt other people"
    I want to live in a society without constantly being on my guard lest I get caught for my evil deeds
    So your afraid of being caught then? We could reduce this to "I don't want to hurt myself", if we asked you why you don't want to hurt yourself.

Based on your argument here it seems you believe in god because you think it would be better if he existed. Can I have a go on your teleporter?

That was not the argument at all, thought it was a part of it. The main body of the argument was why one would value only empirically derived knowledge. You're using empiricism to justify the truth of empiricism. That's circular logic. Well, actually, you've never justified anything. So yes, if you start talking about only sticks, you'll come to conclusions only about sticks, if you start talking about things that aren't sticks, you come to conclusions about things that aren't sticks.

Again, why do people value talks about sticks so much? We can say evolution. This amounts to "I believe it's true because it provided me with food and sex". So will you accept these arguments are true if I give you a sausage and a hooker?

Edit: also using words like "real" where you obviously mean "empirically real" when discussing the superiority of empiricism over other epistemological positions shows you fully do not understand the argument.

Edit 2: This shouldn't be construed as me saying I don't accept empiricism. It's me saying "empiricism is empiricism". The reason I cited the arbitrariness of your moral system next to the arbitrariness is because these lie in similar epistemological domains.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

genericguy wrote: »
    I see him as the reason why the largest paedophile sex ring on earth continues to go unpunished. i see god as the excuse given for the church's encouragement of the spread of AIDS. .

Did you hear about the Irish Exorcism? A mother had to call the devil in to get the priest put of her son.

What you're probably thinking of is anti-theism. Lots of people have opinions that they're not vocal about and lots that they are. Some people are vocal about their atheism in a way that they couldn't be before. This is not a problem with atheism, it's a good thing since we now live in a society where people don't have to be afraid to speak their mind

I know it's not a problem with atheism. That's what I use the term "new atheism"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Woah I have no idea where you are getting your human pyschology buzz words from. I mean anybody could come out with a sentence like that but you need conclusive evidence to back such a brash and single-minded statement. I completley disagree with that point 'Being social animals is conducive to survival?' I can tell just by that sentence alone your thinking way too deeply into this and trying to pull squares through round holes.

• Advertisement

Well we kinda established that earlier. Sam_Vimes is probably gone to bed.

But that has its basis in the fact that people are social animals, and that animals are this or that for reasons.

E.g working a group to catch an elephant, or chasing away other apes(or whatever it was that people were) from your food/territory

Advertisement