Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is God to you?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

What is the difference?:confused:

this is why there should be a face-palm smiley,i am bringing the face-palm back

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

genericguy wrote: »

you need god to be good - so if there was no god, would you go out raping people and murdering them, OP?
    Some people have a real distrust of athiests. I was talking to a woman a while back who was genuinely wondering where athiests get morals from, since she believed that her sense of morality came directly from a god. She was honestly worried that if her belief in this god faltered she would start thieving and would have no concept of morality.

That kind of thinking scares the life out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

An amazing blowjob.

They're all amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

Surely that's religion. God has very little time for religion.

he told you this, did he?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Manmade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

pmcmahon wrote: »
    who the fúck goes to copper face jacks?

People who believe in God. Guards, nurses, teachers etc.

If you can fake decency in there, you're defo gettin' laid!;):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

People who believe in God. Guards, nurses, teachers etc.

If you can fake decency in there, you're defo gettin' laid!;):)

you could've picked better examples there love

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Are people saying that they do not believe there are arguments against an atheistic moral system? Because there are, and I've never seen them properly addressed or rebutted by anything other than "I'm an atheist and I'm very nice".

There's no need to disregard something completely just because it's coming from someone who you see as being on the opposite side of an argument to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

STFU.

I'm a devout atheist, and i help people all the time without charging them for it. that's the most ridiculous, self-defeating point any bible-basher can make.

you need god to be good - so if there was no god, would you go out raping people and murdering them, OP?

I know I would :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

raah! wrote: »
    Are people saying that they do not believe there are arguments against an atheistic moral system? Because they are, and I've never seen them properly addressed or rebutted by anything other than "I'm an atheist and I'm very nice".

There's no need to disregard something completely just because it's coming from someone who you see as being on the opposite side of an argument to you.

I just find the idea that the only reason not to go around raping and murdering is fear of god/hell to be disgusting.

• Advertisement

I'd say yes please thanks...

The way I view myself as an athiest would be in line with the way someone else may view themselves as being apolitical, it doesn't mean they are an anarchist...

Perfectly valid mate. I only meant that there is no argument from atheists as to what drives us to make decisions based purely on morality unless we believe in God/morality. We are innately communists as a pack animal, and therefore believe in justice, yet we adopt capitalism, the belief of a lone predator.

I just find the idea that the only reason not to go around raping and murdering is fear of god/hell to be disgusting.

What reason do you have not to do those things?

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    You've got a pretty ****ed up view of atheists.

How so? I've been advised I'm an ignostic myself (by theists and atheists.)

AAAAAAAHHH wrote: »
    I agree. It's scary too, to think that there's a large amount of people who would go around murdering, stealing and raping if they didn't think someone was looking over their shoulder.
    raah! wrote: »
    What reason do you have not to do those things?
    Um, because they're wrong. You don't need divine inspirtation to tell you that murder and rape are wrong.

Of course OTOH the bible condones murder and rape. So I suppose the question is why don't religious people stone their unruly children to death like the bible says they should?

Why are they wrong?

Op, if someone of another religion asked you if wanted help moving your tv, what would you say?

I'd say "Thanks a mil". I'd think he/she was a theist. Btw, I aspire to christianity. Given that, what religion do you imagine I am affilliated to?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭ldxo15wus6fpgm

kylith wrote: »
    I agree. It's scary too, to think that there's a large amount of people who would go around murdering, stealing and raping if they didn't think someone was looking over their shoulder.

Um, because they're wrong. You don't need divine inspirtation to tell you that murder and rape are wrong.

Of course OTOH the bible condones murder and rape. So I suppose the question is why don't religious people stone their unruly children to death like the bible says they should?

Morals and morality stem from religion. If there were never any religions in our society, I firmly believe we wouldn't have morals.

You can even look at Roman society, even though they had religion, they didn't have morals as we think of them today. The torture/raping/murder of slaves etc. was common practice.
    The morals of our society stem mainly from Christianity, as it is the religion which has had the most influence on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

God is someone I used to believe in but these days neither believe nor disbelieve. I would never call myself an atheist; I'm happy being an apathetic agnostic. Whether he exists or not, I just don't care anymore.

God as a concept is responsible for a lot of sh!t in this world; war, discrimination, total disregard of human rights etc.

God as a concept is also responsible for the existence of a small but irritating subset of atheists who are smug, self righteous and condescending asshats (the kind of people who belittle every single person with the smallest modicum of faith while **** themselves senseless over pictures of Christopher Hitchens.)

Fun fact: "God" is "dog" spelt backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Morals and morality stem from religion. If there were never any religions in our society, I firmly believe we wouldn't have morals.

You can even look at Roman society, even though they had religion, they didn't have morals as we think of them today. The torture/raping/murder of slaves etc. was common practice.
    The morals of our society stem mainly from Christianity, as it is the religion which has had the most influence on us.
    Actually, it's more from Judaism and the old testament. Which is what a lot of the techings of Jesus (a known Jew) were based on.

do you really think atheists, those armed with reason and logic as opposed to blaming everything they don't understand on some unseen warmonger, are going to tell you that we do in fact see god somewhere?

i see him in the bible, advocating rape and murder, casting plagues upon people who don't believe in him. I see him as the reason why the largest paedophile sex ring on earth continues to go unpunished. i see god as the excuse given for the church's encouragement of the spread of AIDS.

mostly i see him as the lazy man's excuse to avoid research.

Are you sure you're not just seeing religion? And more than that, just the religion you were brought up with?

Science built the pyramids. God inspired man to believe that he could build them.

• Advertisement

i dont rape, steal or murder because it's crappy behaviour. i don't believe in communism because by its nature it removes the need for people to better themselves and achieve. i don't need some mystical bearded bloke with an insatiable thirst for money and bloodshed to tell me to treat people well.

rational inquiry and capitalism for the win.

We've grown beyond that as a society. We don't see sex outside of marriage as immoral, in direct contradiction of the prevailing religion. We don't see homosexuality as immoral, or not being Religion X, or working on Sundays, or most of the six hundred and odd rules in the OT.

Morality is dictated by society, not religion.

Do you think if a child were raised today completely segregated from any and all religions then that child wouldn't have any sense of morality?

pmcmahon wrote: »
    i am sorry to stop you there but,have you looked at organised religions?

Absolutely. Are we not on the same side?
    It's about the protection of privilege isn't it? I can't be sure sir. I was out the day we did morality.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Are you sure you're not just seeing religion? And more than that, just the religion you were brought up with?

Science built the pyramids. God inspired man to believe that he could build them.

Except in ancient Egypt, the pharaoh was considered god...are you suggesting your christian god inspired the ancient egyptions?

if i were askmychocolate, i'd be at least a small bit worried that islam/hinduism/judaism might be the correct religions to follow rather than christianity.

at the end of the day though, it stands to reason based on askmychocolates logic that the atheists are better people than the religious, because we're good people off our own backs, rather than because we fear being punished by some almighty bloke.

So what you're saying is, anyone who doesn't believe in God isn't capable of doing a favour for someone without expecting something in return? Athiests are just money grabbers?

No. I merely asked you why you would do something out of love( an unquantifiable object) when all other animals are driven by self-interest?

No. I merely asked you why you would do something out of love( an unquantifiable object) when all other animals are driven by self-interest?

so i don't love my girlfriend of nearly five years becuase I'm an atheist? my lack of fear in god means i can't love my dog? i can never assist anyone with any issue for which they require help because i don't go to mass?

you're a muck debater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

All our morals come from the golden rule i.e. do onto others as you would like done to you. This rule predates the bible. Without this rule we wouldnt have come this far as a species. It is also innate. We are born with this concept.

• Advertisement

Who said all other animals are driven by self interested?

A mother will protect her young in the animal kingdom don't you know?

Advertisement