Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is God to you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

raah! wrote: »
    Well I think it's time that we start to address determinism. And whether or not we are any different from our genes. I mean, even physical determinism isn't necessary if you just conveniently define what you want to be what your genes have programmed you to desire, chemically. Your arguments keep reducing to evolutionary things, and I know "new atheists" don't to consider human beings as being special animals. But here is how I look at it. If we are not able to control our actions with reason, and if we are completely determined physically, then this argument doesn't matter. If we can, then your lowering us to the level of dogs could at the very least be considered aesthetically displeasing, and probably contrary to your elevated ideas of human beings capacity to ascertain truth. (this is an assumption, correct me if it's wrong. Often very scientifically minded people put this forward, and since you are arguing from a completely from a scientific/empircal point of view, it's not ridiculous to suppose that you value scientific knowledge above other kinds).
    This raises the questions about consciousness and again, free will. If we are completely determined then we need not worry, and we can't argue about anything. If you were intellectually honest, your series of "what cause" questions combined with your materialism would necessitate and immediate acceptance of determinism, which would completely invalidate anything you had to say about any moral argument.

Also you should understand that there is more than one type of theist.

We are somewhat different from our genes but not nearly as much as people like to think we are. The fact that you keep comparing this to dogs and heroin addicts does not make it any less true. Human beings pretty much universally value living in society both because of our evolved instincts and because of the clear advantages this provides, ie being able to live in a house with people instead of in a cave alone. The value of a society is obvious to both our instincts and our reason.

What you have shown is that certain ethical systems lead to the death of the person holding them. That doesn't show they can't be held. My statement there was a statement in opposition to holding metaphysical absolutes without something like god to roote them in.
    Well then your statement was in opposition to something that I keep telling you I'm not saying. You're the only one talking about metaphysical absolutes.
    Well it does. Here's a nice example. We both want to stop a person from harming someone (in a way such that he cannot be caught), and lets say for the sake of argument, he will accept both of our first axioms.

So I go on a big spiel about god and all that and tell him that harming that person would be objectively wrong

You say "I like living in a society, so do you. Evolution."

He accepts this and then goes ahead with the rape, firm in the knowledge that he has done nothing wrong, and is in line with the principles of serving his genes, lengthening his survival, and increasing tasty dopamine realeases.
    1. He must then live with the consequences of being expelled from the society, which I think is a hell of a lot more immediate and real a punishment than being told he broke metaphyisical rules that bear no consequences until he's dead.
    2. If only it was as simple as that. If just telling people they were doing wrong was enough to stop them the world wouldn't be the way it is today.
    So to paraphrase, "the atheist doesn't ask why questions, unless they mean to inquire into causes". "theists ask why questions, necessetating appropriate answers, and this makes them idiots".
    Eh, no. Atheists don't ask questions that have no answer such as "why is a rock?". Theists keep asking questions until they imagine a magic man to whom we're not allowed ask questions and then convince themselves they have all the "appropriate answers" when they've actually just avoided the question
    Also, you cited as the final reason being that it's conducive to survival. Raping people without being cought, killing people and stealing their food, eating babies etc.

A successful serial rapist is far more evolutionarly successful than a person who has less sex regularly
    An individual rapist can be but has the added hazard of having to avoid being caught by the rest of the society. What works for an individual does not necessarily work for a society which is why such people are expelled from society when they're caught, where they can't rape anyone.

Also being a rapist isn't genetic. And see below
    Do you care about all people? And yes, I forgot to include this. Perfect people who love everyone (actually I did include it when I mentioned a love cult some pages ago) do not need a moral system. This can be reduced to "I don't want to hurt other people because I don't want to hurt other people"

So your afraid of being caught then? We could reduce this to "I don't want to hurt myself", if we asked you why you don't want to hurt yourself.
    No I don't care about all people as much as I do my family and friends. Why do you keep bringing up something I have acknowledged over and over? The system is not perfect. I am arguing that this does not make it worthless and that you wishing there was a better system under a god does not change the fact that this god almost certainly does not exist.

Are you trying to argue that even if a god doesn't exist we should try to convince people that he does because the moral system would be better that way?
    That was not the argument at all, thought it was a part of it. The main body of the argument was why one would value only empirically derived knowledge. You're using empiricism to justify the truth of empiricism. That's circular logic. Well, actually, you've never justified anything. So yes, if you start talking about only sticks, you'll come to conclusions only about sticks, if you start talking about things that aren't sticks, you come to conclusions about things that aren't sticks.

Again, why do people value talks about sticks so much? We can say evolution. This amounts to "I believe it's true because it provided me with food and sex". So will you accept these arguments are true if I give you a sausage and a hooker?

Edit: also using words like "real" where you obviously mean "empirically real" when discussing the superiority of empiricism over other epistemological positions shows you fully do not understand the argument.

Edit 2: This shouldn't be construed as me saying I don't accept empiricism. It's me saying "empiricism is empiricism". The reason I cited the arbitrariness of your moral system next to the arbitrariness is because these lie in similar epistemological domains.

I love when religious people sit at their computers to move some electrons around in a wire to allow someone on the other side of the world to read their words about the failings of empiricism and the knowledge beyond empiricism. The problem with "non-empirically derived knowledge" is that it's indistinguishable from making sh!t up and declaring it to be true. No method of gaining knowledge other than through empiricism has ever been shown to be reliable. Empiricism is why there is one atomic theory and 33,000 branches of Christianity. Science converges because they verify things, religion schisms because they just decide what they think is reasonable about something that is unknowable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭smokingman

Jakkass wrote: »
    Perhaps a better explanation of my position is this. God is my common reference point between myself and others. I realise that other people were created in God's image like I was. If God is in common with all others, then knowing God should ultimately help me in living out my life amongst others.

I'll explain where I'm coming from as well so you have some idea of my own self. I was brought up catholic, even served as an alter boy and lead choir boy up to about 12 years old. I never really got the significance of the god concept and just saw it as the same as the old Cuchulan stories. I enjoyed being an alter boy though - it was my first real "job" - and the choir was the same although I had a good voice before it broke and enjoyed the praise more than anything else. ;)
    During my teens, I saw the whole thing as a sunday-ruiner and felt completely out of touch with the religious teachers and "old fogies".
    It was only when I went to college where I lived with a philosopy student that I took an interest in religion in general and started reading the bible and other works, not to understand "god" but to understand the concept.

What you describe above, "knowing" god by conversing with him is a concept I'll never get, and not because I fundamentally don't believe in a god but because I don't understand how you can know someone without having a proper two-way conversation? That particularly irked me back in college as they way I saw it, gods would always be a stranger to their flock.

I don't know. Prayer of course is an intrinsic part of being in relationship with God. However, as for pleading for acceptance, I'm not sure about this. From what I have read of the Bible, it seems that Christianity is unique in the respect that it doesn't say that we have to do things to be accepted, but rather that God has accepted us first from the start. I don't need to pray to know that I am accepted.

I admire the way you take your religion seriously and don't fall into the category of "half arsed religious". They really annoy me - you know the ones that go to mass and spout a few repititious prayers and go home thinking their "sins" are gone for another week. These and the militant, opressive types sometimes make me put up angry posts on here and if you see them, just know I've been irked recently.

Sure, I'll never understand your belief but I can understand the need for acceptance which is common in everyone. I find it from my ego, you find it from your god, but it's essentially the same.
    I do pray in order to further my relationship with God, to praise Him when He is at work, to ask Him to give clarity in confusion, to pray for wisdom to more clearly communicate the good news of Jesus to my friends, on boards and so on. My journey with God is one that has ups and downs, and navigating through those, and seeing where God wants me to be is probably where prayer comes in.

Speaking of my ego above leads me nicely into this - when I was in college I tried a little experiment of treating myself/my ego (in the third person) as a god and tried praying to it every night for a few months. I never responded as "god" but I did feel better for it and explained to me some of the attraction to prayer. Essentially, what I was doing was what some peeps would just call sorting my head out and getting my plans straight in my head but when I was effectively talking through my problems and worries to a third person (easy to do after I read a lot of buddist zen books), I felt clearer in my direction. What you speak of above is what I felt during this time.
    I personally edge away from the view of prayer as a giant checklist, because I don't think that is what it is about. I personally believe that God will act according to His will, and that God can say no. If God never said no to our prayers, we would be God's puppeteers. God would no longer be Himself, but would be controlled by us.

With you on the checklist thing as stated above but the idea of intervention by god always confused me. I've heard some say he does and some say he doesn't. If he does, it's to protect the flock, if he doesn't, it's to protect our free will.
    If you can explain that one to me, if there's a definitive answer as to if the christian god isn't one that intervenes, then why the need for prayer and if he does intervene, then why do we have the illusion of free will?
    For me that isn't being down on myself. It is a recognition of reality, I know what I am capable of, but I am glad that I can live by example. The point is, that I don't believe anyone is inherently good in that we have all done wrong.

That's the thing though, it is being down on yourself.
    Yes, there's no black and white, we are all grey and capable of anything.....
    ...but...
    Maybe it's just that I think everyone should have a proper ego and feed it regularly with healthy self-prayer but I really think we, as a race, are the most amazing thing ever and amazing on an individual scale. I don't think anyone should ever doubt themselves and while this might be too idealistic for this society right now, I'd nearly pray for it ;)
    I assume by my book, you mean the Bible?
    Yup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭The Saint

God is something that makes my job more difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm interested in this, so I may ask a few more questions, and give a few of my thoughts.
    smokingman wrote: »
    I'll explain where I'm coming from as well so you have some idea of my own self. I was brought up catholic, even served as an alter boy and lead choir boy up to about 12 years old. I never really got the significance of the god concept and just saw it as the same as the old Cuchulan stories. I enjoyed being an alter boy though - it was my first real "job" - and the choir was the same although I had a good voice before it broke and enjoyed the praise more than anything else. ;)
    During my teens, I saw the whole thing as a sunday-ruiner and felt completely out of touch with the religious teachers and "old fogies".
    It was only when I went to college where I lived with a philosopy student that I took an interest in religion in general and started reading the bible and other works, not to understand "god" but to understand the concept.

From my perspective, I didn't really think seriously about God or believing and the like until I read the Bible out of curiosity nearly 4 years ago. I was raised in the Church of Ireland.

As for church being a Sunday ruiner, I guess it can be if you don't understand why you are there, and if you don't feel you have any purpose being involved in it. Surveys done in other countries of church-goers suggest that most people who go to church, don't just want to go to church, but they want to be involved in some way.

Would it be fair to say that the appeal to going to church dropped off in your teens because you just didn't see the point in going any more? - I think I can understand that a lot actually. I think the more separation there is between the "religious teachers" and the general people, the more disillusionment people have because they aren't really a part of it.

As for philosophy students, I am one myself and indeed it is very interesting, but I find that often philosophy can be used to explain things away as well give interesting insights.
    What you describe above, "knowing" god by conversing with him is a concept I'll never get, and not because I fundamentally don't believe in a god but because I don't understand how you can know someone without having a proper two-way conversation? That particularly irked me back in college as they way I saw it, gods would always be a stranger to their flock.

I don't think God of necessity has to speak in words, but God can also speak through experience. Also, for the Christian one often finds that the Bible often speaks to them personally in a certain situation, or in just coming to grips with God more.

I guess God isn't strange to me because I feel it quite natural that I should find out about Him. If He is my Creator, it is only natural that I should be reunited with Him.

I think often we don't do enough to explain properly to people how we think that this all works.
    I admire the way you take your religion seriously and don't fall into the category of "half arsed religious". They really annoy me - you know the ones that go to mass and spout a few repititious prayers and go home thinking their "sins" are gone for another week. These and the militant, opressive types sometimes make me put up angry posts on here and if you see them, just know I've been irked recently.

I think for me trying to understand God is about more than having sins forgiven, it's about gaining an entirely new perspective to living itself.

As for the militant oppressive types, I assume you mean people who list sins and the like? Or? - I'd be interested in hearing your take on this.
    Sure, I'll never understand your belief but I can understand the need for acceptance which is common in everyone. I find it from my ego, you find it from your god, but it's essentially the same.

It's probably more than acceptance. In fact a key Christian belief is that we (as believers) actually don't belong in the world, and that we are to try and live unique lifestyles for Jesus, rather than living as everyone else does. I think the more and more life goes on, I realise that this is really true from my own perspective.
    Speaking of my ego above leads me nicely into this - when I was in college I tried a little experiment of treating myself/my ego (in the third person) as a god and tried praying to it every night for a few months. I never responded as "god" but I did feel better for it and explained to me some of the attraction to prayer. Essentially, what I was doing was what some peeps would just call sorting my head out and getting my plans straight in my head but when I was effectively talking through my problems and worries to a third person (easy to do after I read a lot of buddist zen books), I felt clearer in my direction. What you speak of above is what I felt during this time.

So, you kind of made your ego into a God, and prayed to it? - Is this a Buddhist idea or was it something that you just derived yourself?

Again, I'm quite curious about this!
    With you on the checklist thing as stated above but the idea of intervention by god always confused me. I've heard some say he does and some say he doesn't. If he does, it's to protect the flock, if he doesn't, it's to protect our free will.
    If you can explain that one to me, if there's a definitive answer as to if the christian god isn't one that intervenes, then why the need for prayer and if he does intervene, then why do we have the illusion of free will?

I personally think that God does intervene, but that He doesn't intervene always. I think it has to be compatible with God's nature for Him to accept it. Pretty much as we won't do something unless we feel that it is best to do. God knowing more than us, knows ultimately what is best.

As for the free will vs determinism thing. This is a debate that has been going on in Christian circles since the Middle Ages, but has been reignited thanks to John Calvin one of the Protestant reformers. I have to say I don't know absolutely, and that I probably will never know absolutely as to how that works.

That's the thing though, it is being down on yourself.
    Yes, there's no black and white, we are all grey and capable of anything.....
    ...but...
    Maybe it's just that I think everyone should have a proper ego and feed it regularly with healthy self-prayer but I really think we, as a race, are the most amazing thing ever and amazing on an individual scale. I don't think anyone should ever doubt themselves and while this might be too idealistic for this society right now, I'd nearly pray for it ;)

I think that I am a confident individual, but ultimately I think we can only be made good by God's grace, rather than by our own action. Even if we make our best efforts to do more and more good things, there are always bad things that we have done.
    Yup.

Funny that you should mention this, as I personally think the Bible chronicles humility of the highest order, in that Jesus died for our sins, despite the fact that He had never sinned.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

So, you kind of made your ego into a God, and prayed to it? - Is this a Buddhist idea .

Definitely not, complete opposite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

The concept of god is entirely a human construct. Religious people will always point to the fact that every society believes in some sort of god. But it varies massively from society to society. From the abrahamic religions to hinduism to the cargo cults of the south pacific. This says more about the human psychy than what is happening in real life.

A lot of people who are not religious will still say 'please god' in a moment of vunerability and helplessness which is an appeal to construct of a father or mother figure. Its competely natural but I would say damaging as it can dampen peoples attempts to actually solve a problem such as some religions banning blood transfusions.

Of course people who believe in god recieve comfort from it. Why wouldnt people feel great when they acknowledge a deep seated belief that some benevolent being has always got their back and will love them unconditionally. It even leads them to forgive all their other failings (read everything in leviticus).

I am an athiest. I became such after reading up on a lot of different religions and from a belief in cause and effect. I found many inconsistencies in most religious texts, when pointed out i am asked to have faith. I dont buy that, the truth should be verifyable

Would it be fair to say that the appeal to going to church dropped off in your teens because you just didn't see the point in going any more? - I think I can understand that a lot actually. I think the more separation there is between the "religious teachers" and the general people, the more disillusionment people have because they aren't really a part of it.

To be honest, I didn't really have any connection to it moreso than seeing it as a waste of time. I saw first hand the "organised" bit of organised religion as an alterboy collecting the plates of money at the end of the mass and think that may have had something to do with it. My religious teachings in primary school involved illustrated storybooks that weren't discernable from normal kids fable stories and the teachers post primary were all nuns in their 70s so in effect, the lessons I learned in both schools were never taken seriously. I'm actually quite thankful for this when I look back.
    As for philosophy students, I am one myself and indeed it is very interesting, but I find that often philosophy can be used to explain things away as well give interesting insights.

It can be used to explain that we don't even exist so I get where you're coming from there. My preferred brand is that which deals solely with logic and my favourite book on the subject would probably be "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" which disects logic itself to it's purest form....and there's engine maintenance tips as well :)

That's the core of my atheism; being a logic fan.
    Also, for the Christian one often finds that the Bible often speaks to them personally in a certain situation, or in just coming to grips with God more.

I find the same thing with people I know that read horoscopes and unfortunately, equate the two as being the same. Subjucating meaning often dissolves truth.

I think often we don't do enough to explain properly to people how we think that this all works.

I find the religious who are strongest in voicing how all this works are the worst advertisements for their cause - don't get me started on creationism. :pac:

I think for me trying to understand God is about more than having sins forgiven, it's about gaining an entirely new perspective to living itself.

As for the militant oppressive types, I assume you mean people who list sins and the like? Or? - I'd be interested in hearing your take on this.

Yup, they'd be the sort alright - those and anyone who uses religion to infer that someone who isn't praying to the same god is somehow inferior because "my god says so".
    I'm sure the militant atheists could repeat this ad nausium but it's inherent in human nature and not the sole preserve of organised religion....it's just that when a god is used as the reason, I tend to cringe inside. The jewish thing of having a "god-given" right to the land they steal is an example.
    It's probably more than acceptance. In fact a key Christian belief is that we (as believers) actually don't belong in the world, and that we are to try and live unique lifestyles for Jesus, rather than living as everyone else does. I think the more and more life goes on, I realise that this is really true from my own perspective.

I'm curious about the "we don't belong here" idea. Is our natural place in heaven and we're only renting the gaff while the check clears? ;)
    So, you kind of made your ego into a God, and prayed to it? - Is this a Buddhist idea or was it something that you just derived yourself?

Again, I'm quite curious about this!

Nah, it was my own take on a few ideas I had. I was curious about the methods of worship and seeing as I didn't believe there were any gods, I chose my own higher order, i.e. the id, ego whatever people call it.
    I would actually recommend it though. :cool: Praying to something imaginary to some peeps may seem strange but when it's real, it takes on a real logical meaning. I'm not saying that I saw my ego as god-like with all the super powers etc but rather as something more tangible I could more easily relate to. I'd also like to state that I'm not schizo - I know there's only one me ;)
    I personally think that God does intervene, but that He doesn't intervene always. I think it has to be compatible with God's nature for Him to accept it. Pretty much as we won't do something unless we feel that it is best to do. God knowing more than us, knows ultimately what is best.

So is this where "we are all children of god" comes from?
    i.e. the idea that we should be glad we are treated as children?
    As for the free will vs determinism thing. This is a debate that has been going on in Christian circles since the Middle Ages, but has been reignited thanks to John Calvin one of the Protestant reformers. I have to say I don't know absolutely, and that I probably will never know absolutely as to how that works.

That makes two of us!
    I think that I am a confident individual, but ultimately I think we can only be made good by God's grace, rather than by our own action. Even if we make our best efforts to do more and more good things, there are always bad things that we have done.

I'm very much of the belief that people don't take enough responsibility for themselves and that "our own actions" are all there is. Assigning blame/credit for anything an individual does, to something else, be it god, the economy, whatever, is the one thing in society I would love to change most if I had the power. Shake them like mad and say "that was YOU!, not your escape mechanism from the real world, it was YOU!"
    Unfortunately I am pretty realistic about that never happening.
    Funny that you should mention this, as I personally think the Bible chronicles humility of the highest order, in that Jesus died for our sins, despite the fact that He had never sinned.

...but when you think about it, he didn't actually die. He was a god and gods don't die. He may have changed form but as a god....ah never mind. :D

...but when you think about it, he didn't actually die. He was a god and gods don't die. He may have changed form but as a god....ah never mind. :D

He sacrificed himself to himself to save us from the punishment that he was going to give us because of the sinful nature that he made us with. You'd think he could have just decided not to give us the punishment and saved himself all that hassle. Who was he trying to impress?

And as you say he didn't actually sacrifice himself because he did it in the full knowledge that he was going to go back to the perfect paradise that is heaven a few days later.

And what kind of monster comes up with a system where you commit a crime and another innocent person is made so suffer for it anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    He sacrificed himself to himself to save us from the punishment that he was going to give us because of the sinful nature that he made us with. And as you say he didn't actually sacrifice himself because he did it in the full knowledge that he was going to go back to the perfect paradise that is heaven a few days later.

And what kind of monster comes up with a system where you commit a crime and another innocent person is made so suffer for it anyway?
    Indeed.

I'd say that when christianity was kicking off god and his son were separate people which makes the sacrifice make a bit more sense (still not a lot) but then people realised that this went against the whole monotheism idea so they did a bit of mental gymnastics and came up with the god head idea of three people who are actually one person. This makes the sacrifice make no sense and still goes somewhat against the monotheism idea but since when did it making no sense stop anyone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd say that when christianity was kicking off god and his son were separate people which makes the sacrifice make a bit more sense (still not a lot) but then people realised that this went against the whole monotheism idea so they did a bit of mental gymnastics and came up with the god head idea of three people who are actually one person. This makes the sacrifice make no sense and still goes somewhat against the monotheism idea but since when did it making no sense stop anyone!
    I've heard claims that the storey of Jesus was vastly changed to make him appear more godly, like removing any trace of his extended family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

We are somewhat different from our genes but not nearly as much as people like to think we are. The fact that you keep comparing this to dogs and heroin addicts does not make it any less true. Human beings pretty much universally value living in society both because of our evolved instincts and because of the clear advantages this provides, ie being able to live in a house with people instead of in a cave alone. The value of a society is obvious to both our instincts and our reason.
    When you make comments like this I can't help but think you aren't understanding the arguments. Perhaps even deliberately. Things aboug dogs and heroin are about inferiority of one system over an other.

Well then your statement was in opposition to something that I keep telling you I'm not saying. You're the only one talking about metaphysical absolutes.
    And it seems that you just use them while ignoring any consequences of this.
    1. He must then live with the consequences of being expelled from the society, which I think is a hell of a lot more immediate and real a punishment than being told he broke metaphyisical rules that bear no consequences until he's dead.
    2. If only it was as simple as that. If just telling people they were doing wrong was enough to stop them the world wouldn't be the way it is today.
    This isn't the first example of completely ignoring a point in an argument to argue against it. If I was interested in the type of arguments you've been popping in here and there I'd say "this is symptomatic of the type of strawman argumentation new atheists have learned from richard dawkins". Again, you don't see me doing that, it's dishonest, and I don't really have any interest in convincing the people reading this of anything. I said, there "and say he can't get caught". If The only reason you can think of is "he'll get caught", then all I can say is you should go out into the world and watch people a bit.

Eh, no. Atheists don't ask questions that have no answer such as "why is a rock?". Theists keep asking questions until they imagine a magic man to whom we're not allowed ask questions and then convince themselves they have all the "appropriate answers" when they've actually just avoided the question.

So theists ask why questions resulting in a god concept, and atheists don't ask it at all, but theists are avoiding it?
    An individual rapist can be but has the added hazard of having to avoid being caught by the rest of the society. What works for an individual does not necessarily work for a society which is why such people are expelled from society when they're caught, where they can't rape anyone.
    I've never argued that. And everything you have ever said can be summed up to "what if everyone did it". That would indeed contradict the "it's nice to live in society" axiom. Doing things like this, as well as circular proof and argumentation shows a poor grasp of logic.
    No I don't care about all people as much as I do my family and friends. Why do you keep bringing up something I have acknowledged over and over? The system is not perfect. I am arguing that this does not make it worthless and that you wishing there was a better system under a god does not change the fact that this god almost certainly does not exist.
    Comparisons with dogs, heroin users and rapists make it worthless. If you wanna agree with these things yourself under this system that's fine. But you've failed to address any points. Deliberately misinterpreting my arguments for one thing to be for something else doesn't help your argument. And at this point I'm convinced that's what you're doing, and I guess that's understandable, this being a forum other people can see. But review the posts yourself afterwards. See if you think your responses are logical in anyway.
    Are you trying to argue that even if a god doesn't exist we should try to convince people that he does because the moral system would be better that way?

Again the existence of god is a separate issue. While you're sure of it's impossibility, I would suggest that this is only because of a narrowness of thought on your part, as well as a massive mis-understanding of what theists are actually talking about.
    I love when religious people sit at their computers to move some electrons around in a wire to allow someone on the other side of the world to read their words about the failings of empiricism and the knowledge beyond empiricism. The problem with "non-empirically derived knowledge" is that it's indistinguishable from making sh!t up and declaring it to be true. No method of gaining knowledge other than through empiricism has ever been shown to be reliable. Empiricism is why there is one atomic theory and 33,000 branches of Christianity. Science converges because they verify things, religion schisms because they just decide what they think is reasonable about something that is unknowable.

Ok, so the first line misses the point completely, and I think we can presume this just to be some sort of rhetorical trick to convince idiots reading this (and at this point, from your responses, I'm convinced that's all you have an interest in.)

If you think " The problem with "non-empirically derived knowledge" is that it's indistinguishable from making sh!t up", then I'm afraid we can only put this down to your ignorance. Look up rationalistic systems etc.

"Empiricism is why there is one atomic theory and 33,000 branches of Christianity". I have a nice quote from karl popper to respond to this "Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the thoery nor the problem which it was intended to solve"

You mean no method other than empiricism has been verified empirically? Again, this shows a poor grasp of logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You're starting to wreck a fun thread.

By responding to arguments?

If what ye were doing here was described by yourselves as "fun", then that would be one thing. You are convinced that your position and ability to deride religious people stems from your knowing more about science than them, and their beliefs being unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

By responding to arguments?

If what ye were doing here was described by yourselves as "fun", then that would be one thing. You are convinced that your position and ability to deride religious people stems from your knowing more about science than them, and their beliefs being unfounded.

Show me your god and we'll call it quits then.

Comparisons with dogs, heroin users and rapists make it worthless. If you wanna agree with these things yourself under this system that's fine. But you've failed to address any points. Deliberately misinterpreting my arguments for one thing to be for something else doesn't help your argument. And at this point I'm convinced that's what you're doing, and I guess that's understandable, this being a forum other people can see. But review the posts yourself afterwards. See if you think your responses are logical in anyway.
    Earlier in the thread you acknowledged that my system means that we must live by a specific set of constrained rules that must be obeyed by most people. How is that worthless? Do you equate not perfect with worthless?
    And it seems that you just use them while ignoring any consequences of this.
    No, I'm not using them. Only you are. You keep asking to explain why something is "bad" and I keep telling you I can't do that. The fact that you think I am using these concepts demonstrates that you are not understanding what I'm saying. Please try to understand that I am not using these terms in the way you mean and this will go a lot smoother.
    So theists ask why questions resulting in a god concept, and atheists don't ask it at all, but theists are avoiding it?
    No theists come up with the god concept as a terrible excuse for why they can stop asking why. Excuses such as "the legitimacy of wizards is not the question at hand" and "The infinite regress passes from the responsibilities of people to an omniscient god. Why is it good, because god said so. That's the end. For us, the arbitrariness is gone". Neither of these explain why we should be logically be able to stop asking questions at that point, it just avoids the question with "this is not the question at hand" and shifts the buck by "passing from the responsibilities of people to an omniscient god". The fact that you have passed the responsibility to another being does not mean the questions have been answered. They've just been pushed back a level to a person that we are not allowed to or able to question.
    Ok, so the first line misses the point completely, and I think we can presume this just to be some sort of rhetorical trick to convince idiots reading this (and at this point, from your responses, I'm convinced that's all you have an interest in.)

If you think " The problem with "non-empirically derived knowledge" is that it's indistinguishable from making sh!t up", then I'm afraid we can only put this down to your ignorance. Look up rationalistic systems etc.

"Empiricism is why there is one atomic theory and 33,000 branches of Christianity". I have a nice quote from karl popper to respond to this "Whenever a theory appears to you as the only possible one, take this as a sign that you have neither understood the thoery nor the problem which it was intended to solve"

You mean no method other than empiricism has been verified empirically? Again, this shows a poor grasp of logic.

The point is that there is no means to verify anything other than empirically. Without verification, all that's left is unsubstantiated claims.

Unless you can tell me a means of verifying something without empiricism?

Or do you not see the value of verifying things over everyone believing whatever they want and never doing anything to find out if what they believe is in any way accurate?
    When you make comments like this I can't help but think you aren't understanding the arguments. Perhaps even deliberately. Things aboug dogs and heroin are about inferiority of one system over an other.

This isn't the first example of completely ignoring the point I made to argue against it. I said, there "and say he can't get caught". If The only reason you can think of is "he'll get caught", then all I can say is you should go out into the world and watch people a bit.

I've never argued that. And everything you have ever said can be summed up to "what if everyone did it". That would indeed contradict the "it's nice to live in society" axiom. Doing things like this, as well as circular proof and argumentation shows a poor grasp of logic.

Again the existence of god is a separate issue. While you're sure of it's impossibility, I would suggest that this is only because of a narrowness of thought on your part, as well as a massive mis-understanding of what theists are actually talking about.

Seriously mate, I am not the one misunderstanding arguments here. Please try to understand this because I keep saying it and you seem to be ignoring it. You are saying that the existence of god is a separate issue but the entire validity of the system of morality you describe depends totally on the existence of the specific god of christianity. How can the existence of the christian god be a separate issue when if he doesn't exist, the bible is just the scribblings of a bunch of ancient nomads and we are the result of blind and unintelligent evolution? How can the very existence of objective morality be a separate issue to your argument that a system based on objective morality is better? Since the very beginning of this thread I've been agreeing with you that the system you describe is better. That is not in dispute. If that is the only point that you're trying to make then the discussion is over. What I am saying is that your point is moot until it can be shown that the christian god actually exists, that is unless you want to convince everyone that he exists whether he actually does or not for the purposes of tricking them into being good.

edit: Please tell me what's wrong with this argument: Teleporters are a better mode of transport than cars. Whether teleporters exist or not is a separate issue.

It can be used to explain that we don't even exist so I get where you're coming from there. My preferred brand is that which deals solely with logic and my favourite book on the subject would probably be "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" which disects logic itself to it's purest form....and there's engine maintenance tips as well :)

That's the core of my atheism; being a logic fan.

I don't know if one could say that atheists are more logic fans than theists. That assumption is definitely at the root of most discussions between theists and atheists, but in fact I would consider myself to be quite a logical mind, in that I always seek to make sense of my surroundings rather than accepting that "it just is".
    I find the same thing with people I know that read horoscopes and unfortunately, equate the two as being the same. Subjucating meaning often dissolves truth.

I think I best be careful and explain more thoroughly. I believe that the Bible communicates to us both personally, but also universally. I.E - That the Bible contains universal truth for all people as well as truth for personal situations. I believe truth is absolute, so I wouldn't seek to say that it is subjective.
    I find the religious who are strongest in voicing how all this works are the worst advertisements for their cause - don't get me started on creationism. :pac:

Well, the problem lies in that a lot of us don't want to say that we don't know about a lot of things.
    Yup, they'd be the sort alright - those and anyone who uses religion to infer that someone who isn't praying to the same god is somehow inferior because "my god says so".
    I'm sure the militant atheists could repeat this ad nausium but it's inherent in human nature and not the sole preserve of organised religion....it's just that when a god is used as the reason, I tend to cringe inside. The jewish thing of having a "god-given" right to the land they steal is an example.

I personally do believe that God has defined an ethical code for us to live by, but at the same time I believe that we all have sinned, and that we are all inclined to sin. This is what I mean by saying that we can only be made righteous by grace, I.E - Jesus' death on the cross.
    I'm curious about the "we don't belong here" idea. Is our natural place in heaven and we're only renting the gaff while the check clears? ;)

I believe that I belong to God, and that my true home will be in heaven. At the same time, we are called to be different from the rest of the world, and to live for God first and foremost. It's in a number of places in the New Testament that this idea is derived from. Being in the world, but not of the world if you will.
    Nah, it was my own take on a few ideas I had. I was curious about the methods of worship and seeing as I didn't believe there were any gods, I chose my own higher order, i.e. the id, ego whatever people call it.
    I would actually recommend it though. :cool: Praying to something imaginary to some peeps may seem strange but when it's real, it takes on a real logical meaning. I'm not saying that I saw my ego as god-like with all the super powers etc but rather as something more tangible I could more easily relate to. I'd also like to state that I'm not schizo - I know there's only one me ;)

I guess, for me I would believe that God isn't imaginary :)

I find it an interesting concept, that you would ascribe a personality to what is effectively you.
    So is this where "we are all children of god" comes from?
    i.e. the idea that we should be glad we are treated as children?

I don't think that is what it means. I personally believe that I am a child of God by adoption (through Jesus dying on the cross), but I don't believe that this means that I should act as a child, or that I am indeed a child in the common human interpretation. Rather I am a child in the respect that I would regard God as my heavenly Father. It's not a point of condescension really.
    I'm very much of the belief that people don't take enough responsibility for themselves and that "our own actions" are all there is. Assigning blame/credit for anything an individual does, to something else, be it god, the economy, whatever, is the one thing in society I would love to change most if I had the power. Shake them like mad and say "that was YOU!, not your escape mechanism from the real world, it was YOU!"
    Unfortunately I am pretty realistic about that never happening.

Remember at the start I admitted that yes we have responsibilities towards other human beings, but we also have a responsibility to God for failing to live as we ought in His world. When I do what is wrong (not necessarily only harming other people) I am disobeying God as well as disobeying other individuals (in the case of harm).

He took the punishment we deserved, so that we mightn't have to. That's pretty much why people refer to Christianity as good news. We can be forgiven if we believe in Jesus, and we can be reunited with God and start a new life with Him.

He took the punishment we deserved, so that we mightn't have to.

Yeah how dare we be created with a sinful nature that we had no choice over! The way we were created is entirely our own fault and we deserve all the punishment we can get

Yeah how dare we be created with a sinful nature that we had no choice over! The way we were created is entirely our own fault and we deserve all the punishment we can get

We do have a choice in as far as resisting temptation. It is by virtue of free will, that we have the choice to decide which way we wish to live. Either in accordance with God or away from Him.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    I've heard claims that the storey of Jesus was vastly changed to make him appear more godly, like removing any trace of his extended family.

Really, how come it mentions his cousin John, his aunt Elizabeth, and his uncle Zechariah if one looks at Luke chapter 1.

The Gospels also mention Jesus' brothers and sisters.

The manuscript evidence suggests that no such change actually occurred, even if we ignore that the Gospels do make mention of Jesus' family.

Earlier in the thread you acknowledged that my system means that we must live by a specific set of constrained rules that must be obeyed by most people. How is that worthless? Do you equate not perfect with worthless?

I equate a moral system which is completely arbitrary and fails to differentiate between raping someone and not being caught and anything else than can be considered good, to be worthless, yes.

Edit: And if you are saying it's not a moral system, but people are simply constrained to act good, then I would say that while some people maybe be constrained not everyone is. And the people who are, completely determined by biology without thinking about, shouldn't really enter into any argument. Yes people like that exist, but if you think "the world as it is" provides a good exampe of this I'd also say that that's a massive simplification. People who act based on reason do exist, and you model fails to take them into account whether they are acting in accordance with it or against it. Also it's not necessary to think to act against it, that's another thing we should clear up. An example that can be the familiar heroin addicts.
    No, I'm not using them. Only you are. You keep asking to explain why something is "bad" and I keep telling you I can't do that. The fact that you think I am using these concepts demonstrates that you are not understanding what I'm saying. Please try to understand that I am not using these terms in the way you mean and this will go a lot smoother.
    The fact that you think you are not using them demonstrates that you don't know what a "moral system" or an "ethical system" are. When We did go past that and start saying "right, so there's no moral system but only evolutionary constraints, you went back in a circle to talk about why you are moral.

You failed to grasp the point that without an "ought" it's not possible for you to criticise someone who is able to live in society whilst doing anything. The only constraint you placed was it's nice to live in society. The only argument you were able to offer is the absurd notion that anyone who does anything which is not conducive to societal living for other people will be caught.
    No theists come up with the god concept as a terrible excuse for why they can stop asking why. Excuses such as "the legitimacy of wizards is not the question at hand" and "The infinite regress passes from the responsibilities of people to an omniscient god. Why is it good, because god said so. That's the end. For us, the arbitrariness is gone". Neither of these explain why we should be logically be able to stop asking questions at that point, it just avoids the question with "this is not the question at hand" and shifts the buck by "passing from the responsibilities of people to an omniscient god". The fact that you have passed the responsibility to another being does not mean the questions have been answered. They've just been pushed back a level to a person that we are not allowed to or able to question.

Wow, all I can say is that this is massively dishonest. I said "we can discuss this later" you really are incapable of discussing something without trying to get some digs in at theism. Now, there has to be a stopping point, and we're all familar with the argument, theists simply argue that god is the best stopping point. And it explains the most, whilst also containing many useful ontological attributes like existence by definition (which isn't one I accept mind you, but it's an example).

What's more, you don't accept the answer to these why questions based on lack of empirical evidence, but you've already stated that it doesn't make sense to ask "why is a rock", so your position here is self-contradictory.

The point is that there is no means to verify anything other than empirically. Without verification, all that's left is unsubstantiated claims.

Unless you can tell me a means of verifying something without empiricism?
    You've never heard of logic?
    Or do you not see the value of verifying things over everyone believing whatever they want and never doing anything to find out if what they believe is in any way accurate?
    This is an example of you using certain loaded terminology without knowing. You mean "empirically accurate". As I said before, I'm not arguing against empiricism. I'm arguing against empiricism as the sole arbiter of truth, and your idea that it's more logical than other positions.
    Seriously mate, I am not the one misunderstanding arguments here. Please try to understand this because I keep saying it and you seem to be ignoring it. You are saying that the existence of god is a separate issue but the entire validity of the system of morality you describe depends totally on the existence of the specific god of christianity.
    Ridiculous, first we started to say "an atheistically based system is inferior to a non-atheistically based system". I told you why. Then you said "the theistically based one is based on something not true". I said ok, lets talk about that, and then we started to do that, but you kept trying to combine the two issues. You would think since I was saying things like "yes a system based on a wizard is also superior, you would have caught on"
    How can the existence of the christian god be a separate issue when if he doesn't exist

Well, if you will take time to look at the argument. For one thing it was never my intention to argue for the christian god, this is something you kept bringing in because you thought it would bolster your argument for some reason.

Notice I said, a million times, the word arbitrary. So we could have even defined a god such that it didn't need to exist for it to be a stronger source of morality than atheism. It wouldn't even need to be a god per say, just some arbitrarily define thing which imparts rules. That's why I'm saying you haven't understood the argument, which you have to admit that you haven't.
    , the bible is just the scribblings of a bunch of ancient nomads and we are the result of blind and unintelligent evolution? How can the very existence of objective morality be a separate issue to your argument that a system based on objective morality is better?

Objective means unbiased etc. Now, this "objective morality" would exist regardless of whether the arbitrary thing preceding it does. Again, this is a misunderstanding of logic on your part.
    Since the very beginning of this thread I've been agreeing with you that the system you describe is better. That is not in dispute. If that is the only point that you're trying to make then the discussion is over. What I am saying is that your point is moot until it can be shown that the christian god actually exists, that is unless you want to convince everyone that he exists whether he actually does or not for the purposes of tricking them into being good.

I have no desire to convince anyone of that. My main line of argument with respect to this was that logic is different from empiricism. Empiricism could be classed as a subset of logic with certain axioms. What you are saying "empiricism tells you about empiricism, but other systems don't tell you about empiricism" is silly. I presume this is what you are saying, because something like "other systems make it impossible to verify claims" just shows that you've had a very narrow education. I then went on to say "why do people pick empiricism" and I said why (your claims of it being the only thing which can verify claims is absurd). And when we look at it, this choice of axioms was in no way superior or more logical than other choices. It is in fact simply narrow minded and uneducated, when there are so many other systems of though which tell us so many other things. We can proceed from there to connecting systems like rationalism with theism. Or arguing from theism from there. Yes, it's possible to make a god of the gaps type empirical argument, but it's not necessary, and people who do that are only doing it because in todays society there is a heavy reliance on empiricism, and lets say that its "evolutionarily constrained", but based on these constraints the value of empiricism is reduced to same level as the moral system you mentioned.

Also, should find out whether or not you are a materialist, that is very important. At the moment your position is somewhat vague, but I think your complete dismissal of things like god based on lack of empirical evidence means that we could suggest that you only consider material things to be real?
    edit: Please tell me what is wrong with this argument: Teleporters are a better mode of transport than cars. Whether teleporters exist or not is a separate issue.

That is logically correct. And if one were drawn into an argument where the starting point was the superiority of teleporters versus cars, one would of necessity talk about the superiority first.

Another point is that these two things lie in the same domain of material things, so it's not a complete analogy.

• Advertisement

We do have a choice in as far as resisting temptation. It is by virtue of free will, that we have the choice to decide which way we wish to live. Either in accordance with God or away from Him.

I've heard all the excuses for why god isn't responsible for his creation and none of them wash I'm afraid. I've heard that one a million times and could respond to it again but I really don't want to get into an extended debate with you so I'm going to link to a picture of ceiling cat instead

http://catmas.com/images/2006/12/where-is-your-god-now.jpg

I equate a moral system which is completely arbitrary and fails to differentiate between raping someone and not being caught and anything else than can be considered good, to be worthless, yes.
    So just to clarify, a system of highly constrained rules that cannot be whatever we want them to be (but are somehow still arbitrary by your definition :confused:) and that must be obeyed by most people is not in any way better than having no system whatsoever and everyone living alone in caves coming together only to kill each other?
    The fact that you think you are not using them demonstrates that you don't know what a "moral system" or an "ethical system" are. When We did go past that and start saying "right, so there's no moral system but only evolutionary constraints, you went back in a circle to talk about why you are moral.

You failed to grasp the point that without an "ought" it's not possible for you to criticise someone who is able to live in society whilst doing anything. The only constraint you placed was it's nice to live in society. The only argument you were able to offer is the absurd notion that anyone who does anything which is not conducive to societal living for other people will be caught.
    LOL, I don't think I'm using these terms!? I know what terms I'm using because I'm the one that's using them. Unless you're a telepath please stop telling me that you know better than me what's going on inside my brain.

The constraint I can put is that "if you do not obey these rules you will no longer be allowed live in the society". Once they have been expelled they can live by whatever rules they want. If you insist on an ought its "you ought to behave like this because you want to live in society"
    Wow, all I can say is that this is massively dishonest. I said "we can discuss this later" you really are incapable of discussing something without trying to get some digs in at theism. Now, there has to be a stopping point, and we're all familar with the argument, theists simply argue that god is the best stopping point. And it explains the most, whilst also containing many useful ontological attributes like existence by definition (which isn't one I accept mind you, but it's an example).

What's more, you don't accept the answer to these why questions based on lack of empirical evidence, but you've already stated that it doesn't make sense to ask "why is a rock", so your position here is self-contradictory.
    God explains absolutely nothing. It's a convoluted way of saying "a wizard did it" so that we can stop asking difficult questions. It says that the world is so complex and wondrous that it must have been created by something even more complex and wondrous and when people point out that this even more complex and wondrous thing also requires explanation they stick their fingers in their ears and shout MAGIC!
    You've never heard of logic?
    This is an example of you using certain loaded terminology without knowing. You mean "empirically accurate". As I said before, I'm not arguing against empiricism. I'm arguing against empiricism as the sole arbiter of truth, and your idea that it's more logical than other positions.
    I have no desire to convince anyone of that. My main line of argument with respect to this was that logic is different from empiricism. Empiricism could be classed as a subset of logic with certain axioms. What you are saying "empiricism tells you about empiricism, but other systems don't tell you about empiricism" is silly. I presume this is what you are saying, because something like "other systems make it impossible to verify claims" just shows that you've had a very narrow education. I then went on to say "why do people pick empiricism" and I said why (your claims of it being the only thing which can verify claims is absurd). And when we look at it, this choice of axioms was in no way superior or more logical than other choices. It is in fact simply narrow minded and uneducated, when there are so many other systems of though which tell us so many other things. We can proceed from there to connecting systems like rationalism with theism. Or arguing from theism from there. Yes, it's possible to make a god of the gaps type empirical argument, but it's not necessary, and people who do that are only doing it because in todays society there is a heavy reliance on empiricism, and lets say that its "evolutionarily constrained", but based on these constraints the value of empiricism is reduced to same level as the moral system you mentioned.
    Firstly, if you use terms like narrow minded, uneducated and narrow education one more time I will not be responding to you again. Ad hominem attacks do not help your argument

Now, logic led people to believe for 1500 years that heavy objects fell faster than lighter ones. Then Galileo dropped some stuff from the tower of Pisa and proved them all wrong. Logic can be useful but it is wrong far too often to be relied on solely. The universe is under no obligation to conform to the way our logic says it should be. If logic was enough science would be unnecessary. Things like the Monty Hall problem show the weakness of using logic alone to solve problems.

Could you please outline one of these systems by which we can gain knowledge without verifying it and still know that we are not mistaken?
    Also, should find out whether or not you are a materialist, that is very important. At the moment your position is somewhat vague, but I think your complete dismissal of things like god based on lack of empirical evidence means that we could suggest that you only consider material things to be real?
    There might be something beyond the material but until this can be shown to be the case all we have are millions of different and contradictory claims to knowledge of what goes on in this non material realm.

Notice I said, a million times, the word arbitrary. So we could have even defined a god such that it didn't need to exist for it to be a stronger source of morality than atheism. It wouldn't even need to be a god per say, just some arbitrarily define thing which imparts rules. That's why I'm saying you haven't understood the argument, which you have to admit that you haven't.

Objective means unbiased etc. Now, this "objective morality" would exist regardless of whether the arbitrary thing preceding it does. Again, this is a misunderstanding of logic on your part.
    Something doesn't need to exist to be a stronger source of something than something else? :confused:

How can something be a source of something if it doesn't exist? Are you saying that there can be absolute right and wrong without the existence of god?
    Ridiculous, first we started to say "an atheistically based system is inferior to a non-atheistically based system". I told you why. Then you said "the theistically based one is based on something not true". I said ok, lets talk about that, and then we started to do that, but you kept trying to combine the two issues. You would think since I was saying things like "yes a system based on a wizard is also superior, you would have caught on"

Well, if you will take time to look at the argument. For one thing it was never my intention to argue for the christian god, this is something you kept bringing in because you thought it would bolster your argument for some reason.
    That is logically correct. And if one were drawn into an argument where the starting point was the superiority of teleporters versus cars, one would of necessity talk about the superiority first.

Another point is that these two things lie in the same domain of material things, so it's not a complete analogy.

I think this is a major problem in this thread. You keep arguing about the superiority of a god based system over an atheistic one. You don't seem to have noticed that I have not contested that at any point in this thread and in fact have emphatically agreed with you all along.

If one were drawn into a debate where the starting point was the superiority of teleporters versus cars, would it not be necessary to point out that teleporters do not exist, at least once it has been established that the other person is not contesting their superiority?

I do not contest the superiority of a god based system over an atheistic one. Now prove your god exists or your point is moot

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Even the newborn babies born tainted with original sin? That's their own choice, is it?

kylith wrote: »
    Even the newborn babies born tainted with original sin? That's their own choice, is it?

You may want to read what I said about original sin a few pages ago to smokingman.

So just to clarify, a system of highly constrained rules that cannot be whatever we want them to be (but are somehow still arbitrary by your definition :confused:) and that must be obeyed by most people is not in any way better than having no system whatsoever and everyone living alone in caves coming together only to kill each other?

We've already established that you accepted the logical impossibility of crossing hume's gap. Going from evolution to "a set of rules" is crossing that. This has already been argued and conceded pretty much. That's why it's arbitrary.

Now it's better than no system, but not better than any of the other openly arbitrary systems I listed. Morality from evolution is one of the weakest moral systems I've ever heard, and it crosses hume's gap when people try to describe it as being derived directly from evolution. Not only is it not conducive to what we would all consider good (here we use the term to mean the subjective standard that describes the opposite to things like rape, selfishness etc.) behaviour, it's logically inconsistent.
    The constraint I can put is that "if you do not obey these rules you will no longer be allowed live in the society". Once they have been expelled they can live by whatever rules they want.

I anticipated this response and added in a rebuttal in my edit.
    God explains absolutely nothing.
    What about why questions? And if you only accept the word explain to mean "give empirical cause for" then feel free to interpret that as some other word like... "answers"
    It's a convoluted way of saying "a wizard did it" so that we can stop asking difficult questions. It says that the world is so complex and wondrous that it must have been created by something even more complex and wondrous and when people point out that this even more complex and wondrous thing also requires explanation they stick their fingers in their ears and shout MAGIC!

If you spend your time arguing with creationists from america (a popular trend within new atheism, and an important distinguishing factor imo) then perhaps you will arrive at these conclusions.

You keep reverting to a completely empirical view of god, which is not something I have ever offered.

This is a strawman argument. But this terminology kind of irritates me, and I believe it's popularity has arisen from internet debates where people desire only to win an argument, gaining superiority (which is assumed from the start) and this obscures their view of the opponents position.
    Firstly, if you use terms like narrow minded, uneducated and narrow education one more time I will not be responding to you again. Ad hominem attacks do not help your argument.

Ok, that's fair enough. But can you see the consistency with me saying this sort of stuff and you claiming that all theists are automatically ridiculous? That type of statement elicits a similar response.
    Now, logic led people to believe for 1500 years that heavy objects fell faster than lighter ones. Then Galileo dropped some stuff from the tower of Pisa and proved them all wrong. Logic can be useful but it is wrong far too often to be relied on solely. The universe is under no obligation to conform to the way our logic says it should be. If logic was enough science would be unnecessary. Things like the Monty Hall problem show the weakness of using logic alone to solve problems.
    I'm well aware of logic alone failing. Another example can be naieve mathematics, which doesn't use axioms and crashes into contradictions. This was never what I was talking about. Logic is not a starting position but a way to proceed from one position to the next. Science is the use of logic with axioms from empiricism.
    Could you please outline one of these systems by which we can gain knowledge without verifying it and still know that we are not mistaken?
    When did I mention such systems? That's a strawman (I'll start using this for brevity, and I suppose it makes sense to use the same language being used in the majority of internet debates)
    There might be something beyond the material but until this can be shown to be the case all we have are millions of different and contradictory claims to knowledge of what goes on in this non material realm.
    Do you mean until it can be shown by science, a system which operates on empirical principles? Do you see how that is contradictory?

If there is nothing beyond the material, then you hold a position of monism with respect to the mind-body problem. And a position of materialistic monism at that. This completely eliminates free will, and makes all your earlier discussion of morality, and pretty much everything, self contradictory.
    Something doesn't need to exist to be a stronger source of something than something else? :confused:
    I was using exist in the sense that you would use it, exist materially. Many people do not attribute a material existence to god. And what's more, it doesn't matter. You could be a materialist and (despite everything you say being negated by determinism) and say "god doesn't exist" but "moral systems derived from the concept of god are superior to others".
    How can something be a source of something if it doesn't exist? Are you saying that there can be absolute right and wrong without the existence of god?

Yes and indeed I have been saying this the whole time. The definitions of these then may or may not be arbitrary, mostly they are.

I would even go as far as to say that anytime anyone uses moral statements, they have to adopt an absolute definition of them.

I think this is a major problem in this thread. You keep arguing about the superiority of a god based system over an atheistic one. You don't seem to have noticed that I have not contested that at any point in this thread and in fact have emphatically agreed with you all along.

I think this is mainly a problem with the format. If we were to organise our posts in some more neat fashion we wouldn't be confusing each others arguments for one thing as being for another thing.

I did however go past that, and say that all moral systems must be arbitrary. You said yours was non-arbitrary, and I then went on to say that it was arbitrary, and that this particular arbitrary moral system was weaker than nearly all others.
    If one were drawn into a debate where the starting point was the superiority of teleporters versus cars, would it not be necessary to point out that teleporters do not exist, at least once it has been established that the other person is not contesting their superiority?

I think we have infact moved onto the question of existence.
    I do not contest the superiority of a god based system over an atheistic one. Now prove your god exists or your point is moot

I have no desire to prove this, my only desire is to contest claims that such a belief is ridiculous. I've made all these arguments, you haven't been quoting them however.

The arguments concern the perceived strength of your position, and your reduction of the existence of god into an empirical statement. It is my firm belief (again if you have a problem with this type of language replace the word belief with "I'm absolutely certain about everything I say"), that the main motivating factor for belief in (at least the christian god, in this one instance I will use this example) a god, is very far from "an explanation for empirical phenomena". That's a deistic position. Now, you can say "but look at american creationists", this is only a reaction to the position that science explains away god by people who aren't that well educated (I'm sure you'll have no problem with me disparaging creationists like this). If they had better arguments, they would probably use them instead but a "god of the gaps" style thing is much easier.

We've already established that you accepted the logical impossibility of crossing hume's gap. Going from evolution to "a set of rules" is crossing that. This has already been argued and conceded pretty much. That's why it's arbitrary.
    eh no it hasn't. Firstly I am appealing to both evolution and reason and secondly, you conceded that a society cannot define whatever rules they want. If the rules are constrained, how are they arbitrary?
    Now it's better than no system, but not better than any of the other openly arbitrary systems I listed. Morality from evolution is one of the weakest moral systems I've ever heard, and it crosses hume's gap when people try to describe it as being derived directly from evolution. Not only is it not conducive to what we would all consider good (here we use the term to mean the subjective standard that describes the opposite to things like rape, selfishness etc.) behaviour, it's logically inconsistent.
    If its better than no system, how is it worthless? and since its the system currently active in our society today, ie offenders who are not caught escape punishment, do you consider our society worthless?
    What about why questions? And if you only accept the word explain to mean "give empirical cause for" then feel free to interpret that as some other word like... "answers"
    "Because god said so" does not answer why, its just an argument from authority. I then ask why did god say so?
    If you spend your time arguing with creationists from america (a popular trend within new atheism, and an important distinguishing factor imo) then perhaps you will arrive at these conclusions.

You keep reverting to a completely empirical view of god, which is not something I have ever offered.

This is a strawman argument. But this terminology kind of irritates me, and I believe it's popularity has arisen from internet debates where people desire only to win an argument, gaining superiority (which is assumed from the start) and this obscures their view of the opponents position.

I'm well aware of logic alone failing. Another example can be naieve mathematics, which doesn't use axioms and crashes into contradictions. This was never what I was talking about. Logic is not a starting position but a way to proceed from one position to the next. Science is the use of logic with axioms from empiricism.

When did I mention such systems? That's a strawman (I'll start using this for brevity, and I suppose it makes sense to use the same language being used in the majority of internet debates)

Do you mean until it can be shown by science, a system which operates on empirical principles? Do you see how that is contradictory?
    You referred to non empirically derived knowledge. How does one derive knowledge without verifying it in any way and know that one is not mistaken, given the acknowledged failings of logic alone?

And do you really consider a system that emphasises the importance of verification as contradictory and circular?
    Ok, that's fair enough. But can you see the consistency with me saying this sort of stuff and you claiming that all theists are automatically ridiculous? That type of statement elicits a similar response.
    I never said all theists are automatically ridiculous. At most I said that specific arguments that are used by some theists are ridiculous. Now thats a straw man
    If there is nothing beyond the material, then you hold a position of monism with respect to the mind-body problem. And a position of materialistic monism at that. This completely eliminates free will, and makes all your earlier discussion of morality, and pretty much everything, self contradictory.
    How does the non existence of another plane outside our universe eliminate free will?
    I think this is mainly a problem with the format. If we were to organise our posts in some more neat fashion we wouldn't be confusing each others arguments for one thing as being for another thing.

I did however go past that, and say that all moral systems must be arbitrary. You said yours was non-arbitrary, and I then went on to say that it was arbitrary, and that this particular arbitrary moral system was weaker than nearly all others.
    Could god have defined morality with only one rule: no human being must live beyond the age of 5. The existence of 6 year olds and above are an abomination unto the lord and they must be killed

Would this then be "good" even though it would have resulted in the extinction of the human race and would we be "wrong" for not immediately killing our children and then ourselves?
    I think we have infact moved onto the question of existence.

I have no desire to prove this, my only desire is to contest claims that such a belief is ridiculous. I've made all these arguments, you haven't been quoting them however.

The arguments concern the perceived strength of your position, and your reduction of the existence of god into an empirical statement. It is my firm belief (again if you have a problem with this type of language replace the word belief with "I'm absolutely certain about everything I say"), that the main motivating factor for belief in (at least the christian god, in this one instance I will use this example) a god, is very far from "an explanation for empirical phenomena". That's a deistic position. Now, you can say "but look at american creationists", this is only a reaction to the position that science explains away god by people who aren't that well educated (I'm sure you'll have no problem with me disparaging creationists like this). If they had better arguments, they would probably use them instead but a "god of the gaps" style thing is much easier.

Well what is your motivation for belief? Go on, give me the good reason that no theist from the most stupid creationist to a bishop to professional apologists has ever given me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Hes no relation

I don't know if one could say that atheists are more logic fans than theists. That assumption is definitely at the root of most discussions between theists and atheists, but in fact I would consider myself to be quite a logical mind, in that I always seek to make sense of my surroundings rather than accepting that "it just is".

I know it is indeed a common debate and I'm sure you can see where both sides are coming from but you seem to have selective logic the same as I have selective belief.

I know you can be logical and yet still believe in things that can't be proven (I know a few scientists that believe there's a god), just the same as I can still believe a hunch even though all logical thought would point otherwise. Thing is though, logic is, and always will be more powerful than god in my eyes and I do find it hard to ever imagine it otherwise. That whole proof thing is where it gets sticky for me. I know you feel the same about god and we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one.

I think I best be careful and explain more thoroughly. I believe that the Bible communicates to us both personally, but also universally. I.E - That the Bible contains universal truth for all people as well as truth for personal situations. I believe truth is absolute, so I wouldn't seek to say that it is subjective.

It's the interpretation of absolute truth that starts a bargie ;)
    If you could explain your thoughts on what this is though, I'd be interested to hear. Is it just the "be good to those around you" or something else?
    I think a lot of atheists get annoyed at this, thinking that the religious use it as a superiority stick to hit them over the head with when being nice to others is simply an evolutionary trait in the human race and not something exclusive to the teachings of Jesus.

Well, the problem lies in that a lot of us don't want to say that we don't know about a lot of things.

Same goes for everyone dude, I'd really like to know what happens inside a black hole and whether, as one new theory suggests, separate universes exist within them. I do sometimes pretend I know when I'm drunk though ;)
    I personally do believe that God has defined an ethical code for us to live by, but at the same time I believe that we all have sinned, and that we are all inclined to sin. This is what I mean by saying that we can only be made righteous by grace, I.E - Jesus' death on the cross.

Can I ask what you think the difference between societal ethical codes and gods defined one is? I suppose it's an eternal debate but the way I see things, we're pretty good at seeing what is good and what is bad already.
    I believe that I belong to God, and that my true home will be in heaven. At the same time, we are called to be different from the rest of the world, and to live for God first and foremost. It's in a number of places in the New Testament that this idea is derived from. Being in the world, but not of the world if you will.

There's a thing I disagree with on a personal level, that you "belong" to god.
    I think of that and I think of how wives used to "belong" to their husbands.
    Kinda riles me up to be honest but if you're ok with it then I won't press.
    I guess, for me I would believe that God isn't imaginary :)

I find it an interesting concept, that you would ascribe a personality to what is effectively you.

It wasn't really a separate personality, it was me all along. Felt like a bit of a tool at the start but towards the end, I had logical debates on what I felt I should do against what was best for my own interests. I kinda failed the whole god bit as I ended up replying even though I spent the first two months praying without replying....and when I say praying, I mean repeating a mantra I concocted that had the same rhythmic drone as say Hare Krishna or Buddhist tunes. It did praise me to high heaven though and involved me kicking Optimus Primes ass back to cybertron :pac:
    I don't think that is what it means. I personally believe that I am a child of God by adoption (through Jesus dying on the cross), but I don't believe that this means that I should act as a child, or that I am indeed a child in the common human interpretation. Rather I am a child in the respect that I would regard God as my heavenly Father. It's not a point of condescension really.

I get what you're saying alright but I still see it as purposely throwing your free will away and doing "what you're told", if you will.
    Remember at the start I admitted that yes we have responsibilities towards other human beings, but we also have a responsibility to God for failing to live as we ought in His world. When I do what is wrong (not necessarily only harming other people) I am disobeying God as well as disobeying other individuals (in the case of harm).

Putting god first before your loved ones is something I will never even pretend to understand but this is what I think you're getting at there.
    I'd like to think it wasn't but I know one or two people personally who take their religion as seriously as you do and that bit scares the bejebus out of me when I talk to them about this in particular.

He took the punishment we deserved, so that we mightn't have to. That's pretty much why people refer to Christianity as good news. We can be forgiven if we believe in Jesus, and we can be reunited with God and start a new life with Him.

I've never seen it as good news but I still think that religion was necessary all the same. In these modern times though, I do think it's holding us back with the automatic guilt and reward mechanism you speak of.

We may have completely opposite views Jackass and I'll never understand you completely but cheers for not repeating gospel verses at me :cool:

eh no it hasn't. Firstly I am appealing to both evolution and reason and secondly, you conceded that a society cannot define whatever rules they want. If the rules are constrained, how are they arbitrary?

That is most certainly not what you started out doing. In fact, quite recently you've been arguing for a system with "no ought" ie, just let things happen and everyone will be moral because it's biologically impossible to do immoral things.

But it doesn't matter, we'll accept that you're using reason now. While I would like you to qualify this use of reason exactly, it still doesn't mean they are non-arbitrary. The fact is, you cross hume's gap into the realm of "ought" or reason even. This application reason, and evolution are separate. The sentence "evolution is good" is arbitrary. The sentence "living in society is good" is arbitrary. Wanting something doesn't make it good. We have been over this.

Also, what I conceded was that if a society accepted certain rules it would destroy itself.
    If its better than no system, how is it worthless? and since its the system currently active in our society today, ie offenders who are not caught escape punishment, do you consider our society worthless?

Ok, you're using what people do automatically to support your system, and then you say it's based on reason. Do you know that they use your reasons. It is either based on reason or is not.

So lets actually finally and definitivley say what your system is. And we'll have this one definitino, put it in bold, and never change it for the rest of the argument. Is it "what people would do anyway is good?". Is it "whatever you want to do is ok?". Asking me if I consider if society is worthless again shows that you are not really taking hume's gap into account.

All this argument amounts to your thinking society is great because it would be automatically. Even if it would, I have more enough times stated how people don't need moral systems.
    "Because god said so" does not answer why, its just an argument from authority. I then ask why did god say so?

I suppose you could consider it to be an argument from authority, but I cannot think of anymore authorative figure. We've already stated, the question had to stop somewhere. And "why god said whatever he said" depends on the definition. Those things fit into the definition.
    You referred to non empirically derived knowledge. How does one derive knowledge without verifying it in any way and know that one is not mistaken, given the acknowledged failings of logic alone?
    One proceeds from axioms. I never ever said use logic alone.

Here is an example: Take your axioms of addition, along with things like definitions of what two is (1+1) and what three is (2+1). Then if we have a definition of 5 as (1+1+1+1+1). We can deduce that 2+3 is the same as five, ie. 2+3=5. That is deductive reasoning.
    And do you really consider a system that emphasises the importance of verification as contradictory and circular?
    Do not take my saying your statements are contradictory and circular as saying empiricism is contradictory and circular. I have been criticising you for over-extending empiricism, and using it to criticise things which it isn't able to by definition.

I'm saying that certain misunderstandings of yours about empiricism (the most astounding of which that it is the only system that can verify claims) are leading you to make claims which are circular in the proof, and self contradictory in nature.

Oh, I just read what I quoting when I said that. You said

And I mentioned you using material methods to find out about non-material things. This seems a contradictory approach to me. Certainly contradictory to a position of materialism.
    I never said all theists are automatically ridiculous. At most I said that specific arguments that are used by some theists are ridiculous. Now thats a straw man.
    Well then I misunderstood something you said earlier about "pointing out when things are ridiculous".
    How does the non existence of another plane outside our universe eliminate free will?

Well to be brief, it's necessary to have some descision making faculty which is exempt from the laws of physics (a soul fits the bill here, but any other such idea will do), and no material things are exempt from these laws. Now we can ignore quantum mechanics for the moment (because it doesn't make a difference) and lets just say F=ma. F=ma for all particles, including the electrons in your brain. That these electrons can move freely from F=ma would disrupt alot of physics. To suppose that the matter in our brain is somehow special is also ridiculous. In short, free will from a materialistic, or empirical point of view, is ridiculous.
    Could god have defined morality with only one rule: no human being must live beyond the age of 5. The existence of 6 year olds and above are an abomination unto the lord and they must be killed

Would this then be "good" even though it would have resulted in the extinction of the human race and would we be "wrong" for not immediately killing our children and then ourselves?

Yes, if one accepted that definition of good, and believed in such a god. This was implied in the argument, I can see what you're doing here as little more than another little "god is bad" statement.
    Well what is your motivation for belief? Go on, give me the good reason that no theist from the most stupid creationist to a bishop to professional apologists has ever given me.
    I have no desire to convince you of anything. Everything you need to know, should you like to see my motivation, is already contained within the arguments, though it doesn't seem you are paying too much attention to them.

• Advertisement

Yes, if one accepted that definition of good, and believed in such a god. This was implied in the argument, I can see what you're doing here as little more than another little "god is bad" statement.

While I'm dying to respond to the rest I'd just like to focus on this part for the moment. You believe in a god who has defined an system of morality where he has decided what is good and bad arbitrarily. You believe that whatever god says is good is good. (You also believe in a god who commanded people to slaughter and enslave outsiders throughout the old testament btw)

But when I suggest that god could have defined killing yourself and your children as good you describe this god as "bad". How can god be "bad"? Surely good is whatever god says it is and if he says that killing your children and yourself is good then it's good because good is whatever god says it is? How can killing your children and yourself be bad if god says it's good?

Advertisement