Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing post - The postman signed for it

Options
  • 23-07-2010 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    There was some stuff to be delivered on monday and the post man had signed for it for us instead of waking us up as it was 7am when it was susposed to be delivered. He said that he thought that he was doing good leaving it in the portch for us. The mail then went missing. I complained to an post before I knew that he had signed for it for me. They said that they will investigate it for us. The item in that was susposed to be delivered was worth €80. But its not worth it if that man could loose his job. Do you think that he could loose his job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Horrible situation to be in, similar happened with my xmas bonus last year, didnt turn up. postman couldnt recall if he'd signed for it or not, eventually dropped in the cash equivilent to me by way of apology, and I presume to avoid trouble at work. I'd say its a fairly serious matter with them yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Our postman at home always does that too. I'm sure this postman won't be fired, he might get a warning because he shouldn't have done it (even though he thought he was doing a nice thing)....if you're really worried maybe ring An Post and say you don't want him to get in trouble or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I've often got signed for post just put through the letter box, its a disgraceful practise

Luckily nothing has yet gone missing

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

My postman has signed for my post in the past, too. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My postman does this sometimes. I much prefer it too having to wait till the next working day and trying to fit in collecting it. With big stuff he often leaves it next door, which is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Out of curiosity - what time did you actually open the front door for the first time that day? I mean, who would walk around and steal someone else's post from their porch at like 7 or 8 in the morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Why doesn't the Postman pay you the €80 in compensation, you tell An Post you are not proceeding with the complaint, he gets off relatively cheaply.

Personally, I wouldn't be happy with the Postman signing for parcels and leaving them in the porch - I know he is trying to accommodate you but I would rather if he left it with a neighbour or left it back at the depot.

Too many dubious clothes collectors etc going around at the moment - not really safe to leave to leave your new purchases lying around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

THe problem is that the postman is only trying to help out the customer and by doing this puts himself in a vulnerable position. if he goes by the book and refuses to accomadate the customer hes a gobshi te yet if something happens hes the one in the line of fire.

if reported he will be disciplined and depending on his record , that will determine if he is fired or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Out of curiosity - what time did you actually open the front door for the first time that day? I mean, who would walk around and steal someone else's post from their porch at like 7 or 8 in the morning?
    people delivering leaflets and those awful roma types leaving those bags for clothes collections, they usually have a good poke around your property while thay are there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

the way it is ,
    post man signed for it , so technicaly he stole it ,
    in the eyes of the law
    thats theft
    next time you see him have a chat with him , tell him you gotta contact anpost , about him signing for your mail that you never recieved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I didnt open the door until around 11 as I decided to sleep late.
    I already had a chat with him. He said that he is really sorry and that he was just trying to help. I just told him to not to worry about it and Ill just buy another one. I just asked him to knock in in the future.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,405 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

That was really sound of you! With any luck you'll have an excellent post service from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

do you actualy have any proof that the package was left there for you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

antocann wrote: »
    do you actualy have any proof that the package was left there for you ?

No, I dont but I do trust that he did leave it there as he done it many times in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

who would walk around and steal someone else's post from their porch at like 7 or 8 in the morning?
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    people delivering leaflets and those awful roma types leaving those bags for clothes collections
    +1, and I expect just regular thieving scum might do the rounds, especially if they read threads like this where idiot postmen are leaving stuff there in the mornings, easy pickings and you know when it will be there.
    antocann wrote: »
    the way it is ,
    post man signed for it , so technicaly he stole it ,
    in the eyes of the law
    thats theft
    That is it, I know in the US postal theft is an extremely serious crime, wish it was here too. I think one of the longest prisons sentences ever handed down in the US was to a postman who failed to delivery all his letter for several years, longer sentence than mass murderers would get.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

rubadub wrote: »

That is it, I know in the US postal theft is an extremely serious crime, wish it was here too. I think one of the longest prisons sentences ever handed down in the US was to a postman who failed to delivery all his letter for several years, longer sentence than mass murderers would get.

Yeh its a federal crime over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

nice of the OP not to take it any further. However, Registered Post is there for a reason. Main one being that the sender knows that the recipient received that mail. It's exceptionally bad practice for the postie to sign for it, regardless of intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭manna452121

If a reg item is stolen by some scumbag,An post have no way of contacting the sender to say the item was stolen.The bar code is only used to show that the item was sent and arrived at the other end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

ur missing the whole point,postmen shouldnt be allowed be allowed to sign for items that require a signature of the RECIPIENT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

My old postman lives around the corner form me. One night he knocked in at about 11 at night, I'd had a parcel delivered that morning and no one was in, so he brought it home with him and had forgotten to drop it around. He said if there were no lights on he would've brought it back the next day. Although he lives near, he wasn't/isn't a friend but that was nice of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Nolimits wrote: »
    My old postman lives around the corner form me. One night he knocked in at about 11 at night, I'd had a parcel delivered that morning and no one was in, so he brought it home with him and had forgotten to drop it around. He said if there were no lights on he would've brought it back the next day. Although he lives near, he wasn't/isn't a friend but that was nice of him.

But he kept it in his possession, NOT just in your porch and hoped for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Having worked for Royal Mail for many years I am really suprised at the lack of security around post here. I've seen open mail bags on bikes standing unattended on streets etc. Mail theft is actually big business... identity fraud, credit card fraud etc. That is why both RMG and hopefully An Post consider it gross misconduct for a postie to "sign for" mail - as someone else has pointed out already this is actually theft and leaves both the postie and An Post in a very vunerable position. Unfortunately I don't think some posties realise the rules are there to protect them as well as the customer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I had the problem of my postie signing, or somebody that wasn't me or my wife at my house and there's nobody else, for an item and leaving it in my porch. It happened a few times that parcels were left at the front door but you don't really care until something goes missing.

When one item went missing AnPost were no help (they sent me a scan of the docket and the signature on the docket had the recipients name of my wife which was a good trick as she leaves for work at the same time as me and arrives home after me so I alway pick up all the post when I come home).

So now I get it delivered to work.

My estate is one that seems to get a flood of people dropping leaflets in at the house so there's no point in leaving temptation in someones way.

It's mad that it seems to be common practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

We bought a modem recently and it was a condition that the courier sees and checks my laser card number when delivering .

I asked the courier to hold on while I get my card , and he said '' nah its ok - theres your modem ''

Couriers / Postmen / are NOT following the correct route ,- They must begin to get proper signatures etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I had a phone delivered by An Post in the following manner :

Signed for by postman and chucked into the flower beds. The phone was soaked through and destroyed as there was heavy rain and I had terrible difficulty getting money back for it as the company who shipped it said that I had accepted it and that I must have then water damaged it!

It's totally unacceptable for An Post to override signatures on postal deliveries. Companies and individuals pay good money for this service to ensure that items are delivered etc

They should just make it easier to get a re-delivery i.e. just phone up and ask with the tracking number.

Also, I cannot understand why postmen / women can't leave the packages for collection at your local post office.

In Cork City for example, if you live anywhere North of the River Lee you can expect to have to visit the hell-hole of a delivery office that is about 5km from the city centre in the most dog rough industrial estate you have ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

Solair wrote: »
    I had a phone delivered by An Post in the following manner :

Signed for by postman and chucked into the flower beds. The phone was soaked through and destroyed as there was heavy rain and I had terrible difficulty getting money back for it as the company who shipped it said that I had accepted it and that I must have then water damaged it!

It's totally unacceptable for An Post to override signatures on postal deliveries. Companies and individuals pay good money for this service to ensure that items are delivered etc

They should just make it easier to get a re-delivery i.e. just phone up and ask with the tracking number.

Also, I cannot understand why postmen / women can't leave the packages for collection at your local post office.

In Cork City for example, if you live anywhere North of the River Lee you can expect to have to visit the hell-hole of a delivery office that is about 5km from the city centre in the most dog rough industrial estate you have ever seen.

i live inn templebar area ,dublin 2

when i miss the normal post i have to walk to cardiff lane (not close )

when i miss the parcelforcevan i have to get a dart to KILBARRACK

i live beside about 5 post offices i couold collect from ,in the uk they leave it in the postoffice closest ur house (convenient)

Irelands An Post is a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

"in the uk they leave it in the postoffice closest ur house (convenient)"

I'm afraid that in the UK they don't leave it in the nearest post office, it is sent back to the nearest collections office which is not the same thing. Post offices (here and there) often don't have the space to store undelivered parcels letters (which unbelievably in some areas can run to the many hundreds over a week long period). My local collections office in central London was only 15 minutes walk away in an industrial estate (again ... the only place An Post or RMG can find the suitable logistical space) but I spent many a Saturday morning queing for over an hour with a hangover and ipod on ... some Saturdays the queue would be over a 100 people long and if you didn't reach the top of the queue before 12:00 (when it closed) then that was it.

In the UK however you can choose to have it redelivered out to another post office for collection (within certain limits) or redelivered again..... their technology is much better.

Just for an idea of scale the mail centre I used to work from was the size of about 6 football fields and 3 stories tall and was a 24 hour operation. You just don't realise the scale of what goes on behind the scenes until you become involved in it. It certainly gave me a new respect for what is involved in delivering mail.

Gg

• Registered Users Posts: 43 johnie89

Goreygal wrote: »
    In the UK however you can choose to have it redelivered out to another post office for collection (within certain limits) or redelivered again..... their technology is much better.

I can't understand why an post INSIST on not redelivering mail. They will tell you that they'll deliver to a neighbor but not to the same address again. I have had numerous parcels gone missing. I usually inform the sender and as its legally up to them to ensure u get the goods I usually get a replacement or refund.

The postal system in this country is a JOKE, I have had post men deliberately coming to my letter box with an attempted delivery notice because they cant be arsed to stand around waiting for me to come downstairs. I have had post men who have failed to deliver parcels because they couldnt get parking nearby (ie. As they couldnt park on a double yellow line, they just returned the parcel to the sorting office and send me an attempted delivery notice the next day).

I have NO PITY for post men. If they choose to work for a company who treats its customers and staff in the manner they do, then they deserve to take the blame when mistakes are made (even if they're trying to accommodate the customer).

If An post allowed an item to be redelivered atleast twice the post men would not have to do things like leaving items out on the porch or signing for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭CR 7

The trick of just bringing the delivery notice straight to the door seems very common. I've caught my postman trying this a few times, some of those times he didn't even bring the parcel with him. And it's not as if he was stuck for parking, tis out in the countryside. The collection centre is only 5 minutes away too, so i don't really mind that, but it's annoying if i'm actually there when he calls.

Advertisement