Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing post - The postman signed for it

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i would prefer to have the item signed for by a memberof my family if i am not available to do so, otherwise the note through door requesting me to collect it would be fine
    this is why we have to sign for it ourselves
    to validate that we got in.

i did have to look up a post that i had registered as i had been told that the person i had sent it to told me they had not received it,
    well on tracking back, i found out they had and signed for it, that saved me a lot of hassel,

so to post employees, i say, leave the note, as if this had happened in my case the man would be in deep trouble, as these in my case were legal documents,
    their jobs are more important than one minuit of madness, signing for others, it is wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

FedEx, UPS, DHL and TNT are FAR FAR FAR more professional than An Post. There is just no comparison. Items signed for digitally, they will re-deliver as necessary, I have even had DHL re-route items to my office when I couldn't sign for them at home.

Meanwhile, An Post just chuck the item into the shrubbery :D

@delllat ParcelForce is a subsidiary of the Royal Mail in the UK. I think they operate their own deliveries in Ireland via some crowd called GLS ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

My postman does stuff like this too and I really hate it - recently I ordered a really expensive piece of computer equipment and requested the company make sure I needed to sign for it to make sure it got to me safe and sound.
    The day it was due to arrive I was at work so was expecting that note to be in the door to go to the depot - no sign of it anywhere and I was worried about it.
    Even worse, the company insisted when I called that the parcel had been delivered and signed for according to the an post website! You can imagine how worried I was at this point!

Two days later my neighbour (who I barely know) runs out to me with the parcel! She had it for the past three days!:eek::eek::eek:
    I don't know this woman that well, she could have kept it and I would never have known or been able to prove she had it!

This isn't the first time this has happened either and I had the awkward job of telling my neighbour not to sign for my stuff anymore - I had to lie and say I got in trouble with my boss but still, I shouldn't have had to have the conversation in the first place. What I don't understand is, how can just anyone sign for a parcel? Isn't the whole point of signing is to make sure only myself can get the parcel???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

i once had an expensive item (700ish) returned from an ebay customer and the postman didnt think it was important so he left it on the stairs in a block of flats in dublin city centre

i had no idea the item was delivered until a chinese neighbour who id never met before knocked my door in the evening to say she had found a parcel on the stairs with my name on it and taken it into her house for safe keeping (WHICH I SIGNED FOR ACCORDING TO THE TRACKING WEBSITE )

i gave the post so much sh1t over that the postman was transferred to another route

it was an absolute miracle it wasnt stolen and i would have been down the 700 because paypal would have just said "i signed for it "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

GLS are a complete joke IMHO ..

I ordered a Second hand Mac Laptop from the US.. it was left in its original box left behind a wheelie bin in plain of anyone coming around the corner (corner house) .. hows them apples! :eek:

I had war with them (GLS handled USPS packages) over it.

I've had tons of smaller parcels from china and UK left in the unlocked porch in a not so great area of dublin .. pure lazyness.

• Advertisement

was.deevey wrote: »
    GLS are a complete joke IMHO ..

I ordered a Second hand Mac Laptop from the US.. it was left in its original box left behind a wheelie bin in plain of anyone coming around the corner (corner house) .. hows them apples! :eek:

I had war with them (GLS handled USPS packages) over it.

I've had tons of smaller parcels from china and UK left in the unlocked porch in a not so great area of dublin .. pure lazyness.

its not so bad if its just standard post (you can claim non-recieval and get reship or refund)

its when they have the cheek to leave expensive registered items on a door step and fake your signature that really pi$$es me off

they dont seem to understand or care that paypal give instant refunds once the tracking says delivered

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

The trick of just bringing the delivery notice straight to the door seems very common. I've caught my postman trying this a few times, some of those times he didn't even bring the parcel with him. And it's not as if he was stuck for parking, tis out in the countryside. The collection centre is only 5 minutes away too, so i don't really mind that, but it's annoying if i'm actually there when he calls.

LOL this isn't confined to Ireland, I happened to feel a bit ill one morning in my digs in the UK so I thought I'd go into work a bit late for once. I was coming down the stairs and I saw the postie's van over the road and him walking towards the door. I opened it just before he got to the letterbox and he gave me the (already filled-in) card and told me there was a parcel for me!! I just took it, looked at him and he said he'd pop over the road and get it for me out of the van. Thanks very much I thought. Have to say our postie in Ireland is great though, couldn't be better, well worth the few quid he gets for his Christmas box.

I find the secret with GLS, DHL is to contact the office when your parcel is shown as "out for delivery", they will usually give you the driver's mobile number and you can arrange to meet him somewhere.

SSE

My postman does stuff like this too and I really hate it - recently I ordered a really expensive piece of computer equipment and requested the company make sure I needed to sign for it to make sure it got to me safe and sound.
    The day it was due to arrive I was at work so was expecting that note to be in the door to go to the depot - no sign of it anywhere and I was worried about it.
    Even worse, the company insisted when I called that the parcel had been delivered and signed for according to the an post website! You can imagine how worried I was at this point!

Two days later my neighbour (who I barely know) runs out to me with the parcel! She had it for the past three days!:eek::eek::eek:
    I don't know this woman that well, she could have kept it and I would never have known or been able to prove she had it!

This isn't the first time this has happened either and I had the awkward job of telling my neighbour not to sign for my stuff anymore - I had to lie and say I got in trouble with my boss but still, I shouldn't have had to have the conversation in the first place. What I don't understand is, how can just anyone sign for a parcel? Isn't the whole point of signing is to make sure only myself can get the parcel???

you are so right
    now if the right part was not in package or no part at all, who would have been responsible, the postie the neighbour, i dont know
    but we are supposed to check that what is supposed to be in the parcel or envelope is in fact there before we sign for it
    otherwise we have no grounds to fight our case
    it is like signing for a pig in a bag otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

About 10 years ago one fri eve i was heading out to the pub, as i was walking down the street i noticed a small brown envelope on the ground with something pink in colour sticking out.
    I bent down to take a look and saw it was a driving licence!
    I took it out of the soggy envelope (it was after pouring down) and to my horror i discovered it was mine!!
    I had passed my test and was waiting for it to be posted.
    It was ruined and i had to request a duplicate.
    I reported it to An Póst, who just said they'd investigate and look into it..
    Never heard another thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Solair wrote: »
    FedEx, UPS, DHL and TNT are FAR FAR FAR more professional than An Post. There is just no comparison. Items signed for digitally, they will re-deliver as necessary, I have even had DHL re-route items to my office when I couldn't sign for them at home.

Your having a laugh Solair, these companies are constantly coming into the local Post Offices asking (their Competitors) for directions to houses and pleading with us to leave the parcels with us.

They might be fine in the cities but in the countryside they are lost.

As for the redelivery option, An Post are paid to deliver the parcel, if through no fault of their own they are unable to do so (noone at home) then that not their problem.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »
    Solair wrote: »

Your having a laugh Solair, these companies are constantly coming into the local Post Offices asking (their Competitors) for directions to houses and pleading with us to leave the parcels with us.

They might be fine in the cities but in the countryside they are lost.

As for the redelivery option, An Post are paid to deliver the parcel, if through no fault of their own they are unable to do so (noone at home) then that not their problem.

nobody at home does not give them the right to fake my signature and leave the box on the door step
    its sheer laziness,they cant be bothered to bring it back to the depot

dublin postmen are famous for leaving parcels in the depot and only coming out with "sorry ,we missed you today ,your parcel is at ............"

this is also cause theyre too lazy too bring the parcels with them especially postemen on bikes do this

kbell wrote: »
    About 10 years ago one fri eve i was heading out to the pub, as i was walking down the street i noticed a small brown envelope on the ground with something pink in colour sticking out.
    I bent down to take a look and saw it was a driving licence!
    I took it out of the soggy envelope (it was after pouring down) and to my horror i discovered it was mine!!
    I had passed my test and was waiting for it to be posted.
    It was ruined and i had to request a duplicate.
    I reported it to An Póst, who just said they'd investigate and look into it..
    Never heard another thing.
    driving licence being a legal document, and in the wrong hands could have been dangerous.
    that was all wrong
    i have never heard of this kind of thing happening
    it is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

also why is nothing done about these post men/woman ,
    signing some one elses name is fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Once the postman knocked and asked did I mind taking a packet for a neighbor across the road (whom i did not even know).

I order loads of DVDs from england. I made it clear to him that if he ever thought about doing this to my parcels i'd raise hell with An Post and bring this incident to there attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

delllat wrote: »
    Shelflife wrote: »
    dublin postmen are famous for leaving parcels in the depot and only coming out with "sorry ,we missed you today ,your parcel is at ............"

this is also cause theyre too lazy too bring the parcels with them especially postemen on bikes do this

I once caught a postman dropping that "we missed you today" letter in my door, i was coming home from getting the newspaper. He said he didnt have it on him, as the package was to heavy for his bag (it was season 2 of dexter, which is not heavy).

I said what about the delivery van, and he said they had passed it onto him. What about the Van advertising "You Surf We Deliver".

johndoe99 wrote: »
    delllat wrote: »

I once caught a postman dropping that "we missed you today" letter in my door, i was coming home from getting the newspaper. He said he didnt have it on him, as the package was to heavy for his bag (it was season 2 of dexter, which is not heavy).

I said what about the delivery van, and he said they had passed it onto him. What about the Van advertising "You Surf We Deliver".

its a sub-standard service for sure ,i was in cardiff lane one day giveing them abuse because i was running a mail order company (so i was working from home/always there at postal times) and all i ever got was tickets posted thru the door saying "sorry we called and u were not at home,please collect your parcel at ................"

the guy at the desk blamed it on ..................wait for it ..........the internet :rolleyes:

he says since the internet shopping boom took off 10+ years ago an post have had basicallly the same resources to work with but thousands of ebay ,amazon and every other type of internet shopping item imaginable have now been added to the million or so other items they have to deliver every day

and the postmen fill in the dockets at the depot BEFORE they go on their delivery rounds saying "sorry we missed you "

i am not 100% sure but i think some of them hoard the mail and only actually deliver maybe 3 days a week

its really weird that i either get no letters at all ,or a bundle of letters on anny certain day

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cool girl

hi do you know if usps delivers with an post and does any one have the number and so do you think customs will charge me for a laptop thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

cool girl wrote: »
    hi do you know if usps delivers with an post and does any one have the number and so do you think customs will charge me for a laptop thanks

You really should open up a new thread as it has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

1. Does UPS deliver with An Post? I doubt it. If the sender sent the laptop via UPS, then UPS will deliver. If they sent it using national postal service, chances are that it will be An Post delivering it.
    2. Customs Charge : If you purchased it from outside Europe, you can bet yer a$$ you will get charged. You probably won't even receive your laptop until you pay it and any other relevant charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

RangeR wrote: »
    You really should open up a new thread as it has nothing to do with what we are talking about.

1. Does UPS deliver with An Post? I doubt it. If the sender sent the laptop via UPS, then UPS will deliver. If they sent it using national postal service, chances are that it will be An Post delivering it.

2. Customs Charge : If you purchased it from outside Europe, you can bet yer a$$ you will get charged. You probably won't even receive your laptop until you pay it and any other relevant charges.

USPS is the United States Postal Service .. yes it gets delivered by An-Post.

UPS is a different company alltogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

cool girl wrote: »

They will stop some parcels, not all. You might be lucky... but I doubt it. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The trick of just bringing the delivery notice straight to the door seems very common. I've caught my postman trying this a few times, some of those times he didn't even bring the parcel with him. And it's not as if he was stuck for parking, tis out in the countryside. The collection centre is only 5 minutes away too, so i don't really mind that, but it's annoying if i'm actually there when he calls.

Been done to me a few times, no big deal as I've nothing better to be doing on my lunch hour then traipse up to the depot. :rolleyes:

But as for Galway!
    The sorting office is way out on the Tuam Rd,miles from anywhere and no buses.
    If you don't drive or cycle then it's good 2km or so walk from the nearest bus stop and then back again

USPS is the United States Postal Service .. yes it gets delivered by An-Post.

UPS is a different company alltogether.
    What I said, assuming a national carrier.
    JustinOval wrote: »
    They will stop some parcels, not all. You might be lucky... but I doubt it. :pac:

I heard that customs are actually cracking down on most deliveries from outside EU these days. Our Gov needs the money...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Back to the original topic.....

I live in semi rural area where it's safe enough during day to leave front small ground level window open if I go out for a few hours during the summer as all the kids (and a lot of parents) are out the front all day. My lovely postie pushed a parcel through the window the other day to save me having to go collect which I'm happy with (didn't have to be signed for and not left outside).

My sister lives in an even more rural area and often finds parcels in the driver footwell of her car if the postie hasn't been able to get an answer at the door.

Goreygal wrote: »
    which I'm happy with

Until the day when one of your parcels goes missing but was "signed for by you"...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

RangeR wrote: »
    Until the day when one of your parcels goes missing but was "signed for by you"...

As I said in the original post RangeR - he doesn't do it with things that have to be signed for. They go back to the depot without fail.

Advertisement