Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else seen this article on VRT changes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Yes, saw it over on the motoring forum. Looks like from January you won't be able to VRT anything as a commercial unless it's been Type Approved. I assume DIY conversions could still be OK provided the base vehicle was available from the manufacturer as a commercial at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

Although I agree only a commercial vehicle should be able to be classed as a commercial vehicle the bigger problem here is the VRT.

In my mind revenue is the single most dominant factor of road death in this country. Followed closely by the insurance companies.

Besides the fact that vrt is probably against European law they type of vehicle that the government would prefer, through indirect vrt messaging, is very unsafe.

If we talk a safe vehicles what springs to mind is germans, french and swedes. - The bigger models.

A Volvo s80 is a very safe car but it sports a v8 engine - it's a heavy thing...

So the most vulnerable drivers are out there driving the most dangerous cars - as they are the only ones they can afford.

The horrible thing is that if a 1ltr corsa would do something unfortunate just in front of my 1.8 ton Defender there would be very little corsa left over afterwards but if it would have been a safer car it is likely everyone would have walked away with a good story to tell.

What's the point of this rant? a BMW X5 is not a commercial, no matter what way you spin it - in fairness!

Direct all that anger towards the VRT system as such instead.

welcome to the banana republic - are you surprised - really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I'm guessing all this will mean is that only official importers will be able to import vehicles as commercials.

I dont think it will stop X5 commercials, or anything else, it will just stop people from wheeling yokes into the VRT inspection and then putting the seats back in straight afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

JohnBoy wrote: »
    I'm guessing all this will mean is that only official importers will be able to import vehicles as commercials.

I dont think it will stop X5 commercials, or anything else, it will just stop people from wheeling yokes into the VRT inspection and then putting the seats back in straight afterwards.

theyre quite good at stopping that anyway , when i brought in my sorento and converted it , tallaght vrt office had a very thorough list of checks on it , its said theres going to be a list of 'approved' vehicles, personally dont think that kind of limitation should be allowed, X5, Range rover whatever else... if they can prove your not using it for any commercial purpose or youve put the seats back in then fair play on catching you , but nobody wants to be forced to buy a transit to transport round tools because the goverment says a 4x4 isnt a commercial vehicle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

My understanding of this is, it will be aplied to M1 type vehicles. what that means is any vehicles that leave factory as comercial will be VRT @ 50, i.e. all N1 type vehicles.

What it means is all imported comercial 4x4 will be VRT'd @ 13.3%.

• Advertisement

My understanding of this is, it will be aplied to M1 type vehicles. what that means is any vehicles that leave factory as comercial will be VRT @ 50, i.e. all N1 type vehicles.

What it means is all imported comercial 4x4 will be VRT'd @ 13.3%.

well in that case they can go ahead , itll mean the hilux, l200, navara and d-max can all be imported without f*cking with the suspension and tyres to meet the 3.5 tonne gvw and still get 50 euro VRT, considering the hilux is un-altered it should make it 4.5k cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

But the whole thing with a "commercial" is the purpose it is used for, isn't it?

If there are 2 brackets it shouldn't matter what the vehicle is. If you need a mazda mx5 to run your business - is that not a commercial vehicle then?

I have a vehicle that fair and square qualify for commercial tax but I use it 100% privately - that's not right either!

The vrt is plainly illegal and the road tax is a joke.

But you'll still vote FF, won't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

Can anyone clarify what the vrt will be on a Hilux or what the classes will be after Jan 1st 2011.

Glenalla wrote: »
    Can anyone clarify what the vrt will be on a Hilux or what the classes will be after Jan 1st 2011.

well as seen here : http://www.tuv.com/vn/en/vehicle_categories_1.html the hilux will fall into the N1 vehicle catagory, meaning that it will fall under the 50 euro VRT band, the hilux is currently the only pickup (afaik) that is not altered to meet the 50 euro vrt currently, so come january with the 50 euro the hilux SHOULD get 4-5k cheaper because it will be in the 50 euro vrt band, it will also mean the d-max and l200 can be brought in without the modified suspension

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Stacks Mad

But could some boby tell me whats the story with this commerical vehicle not being aloud for personnel use, because I want to buy a crew cab hilux for private use ie going in and out of work shopping etc etc will I be able to ?

Should I hold off on buying one?

• Advertisement

Stacks Mad wrote: »
    But could some boby tell me whats the story with this commerical vehicle not being aloud for personnel use, because I want to buy a crew cab hilux for private use ie going in and out of work shopping etc etc will I be able to ?

Should I hold off on buying one?

if its for private use you can buy one but it will have to be taxed provatly, luckily the emissions arent declared on the VLC so you wont have to pay the 2100 euro tax, but 1500 is still steep

Advertisement