Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Panicing about future

• 23-07-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

This seems like a trivial complaint compared to many on this forum but its somehing which I could would bebefit a lot from hearing other peoples opnions/views.

Im finishing my postgrad course in September and had to take out a loan to cover my expenses of doing this abroad. Now that Im so close to the end Im struck with the prospect of no job. There is nothing for me in Ireland, I feel like my knowledge would become outdated and there are more graduates every yr so I dont want to get stuck in a job just to get by and not in my field.

I have no money. I cant ask my parents and I cant get another loan. I cant get the dole as it would be based on my parents salaries as Iv only ever worked under the counter so to speak. The what ifs are terrifyiing. I want to move to the UK but cant scrape enough together for a deposit and then I will have to sign a 6mth contract. What if i dont get a job? what can i do then?

I have younger sisters who are all living at home still and about to graduate in the net 2/3 yrs so I feel like I have to show them the way.

Can anybody advise me? Or tell me how they got on post graduating pre job time?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

You should send out about 100 cvs, see if any of them convert to interviews and hopefully you'll get a job.

Having a post-grad AND the experience of having living abroad are favoured by employers.

The UK isn't a million miles away so you should contact recruitment agencies and arrange telephone interviews to try and secure a job, particularly contract work.

If you decide to remain in Ireland you will be really shooting yourself in the foot by ruling out part-time or full-time employment in an unrelated (even dead-end) job. Large gaps on your cv scare employers. Regardless of whether everyone else is in the same boat, employers would prefer to see you working in tesco than scratching around until you get called to an interview. Having said that, be careful of dead-end jobs. You don't want to get stuck in a rut.

For example, if you wanted a job in accounting you could apply for a 3 month contract doing data entry in a bank, and hopefully something more relevant will come up in that time. Data entry is boring (I haven't done it but I've done some pretty dead-end jobs).. but on your cv you can write "worked for large, respected company in financial services industry", "work to deadlines", "meticulous attention to detail", "ability to work on your own as part of a team" :D )

Remember as well, your first job doesn't have to be perfect. I've often heard it said it is your third job before you find something you feel comfortable with.

Advertisement