Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feet position on pedals? Feet going numb :(

• 23-07-2010 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hey.. Iv just got into road cycling. Have a Giant Defy 4. less than 100miles on him yet... But... I find my feet are going numb during my cycles. The bike came with the the Cage and Clips as standard as Pedals.

I presume the Cage is the problem?? Has anyone any tips??

Should I take off the cage and use the pedal minus the cage?

I see most people big into cycling have the Pedals such as in this post. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055975585 and then you have the shoes which clip in..

Could someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of this?? Iv tried searching the posts but not seen anythin really, maybe the keywords iv used are not great

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

What kind of shoes are you wearing??
    Cycling shoes have a really really stiff sole to take the load off all the tiny bones in your feet.Cyling in normal shoes (esp Runners) will lead to sore/numb feet usually.

Clipless pedals (the ones you mentioned) are much better than toeclips and straps (like you have). Should be high on your list if you getting into half serious cycling.Bit of an outlay but the cheaper ones are grand and they last for eons.

Advantages are; easier to get in and out of after initial getting used to them. (you tube has loads of vids of people falling over when they first try them.)
    More positive attachment to pedal so easier to develop smooth efficient peadaling action.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Ky Abu

papac wrote: »
    What kind of shoes are you wearing??
    Cycling shoes have a really really stiff sole to take the load off all the tiny bones in your feet.Cyling in normal shoes (esp Runners) will lead to sore/numb feet usually.

At the moment, just basic Adidas runners like you said.
    Clipless pedals (the ones you mentioned) are much better than toeclips and straps (like you have). Should be high on your list if you getting into half serious cycling.Bit of an outlay but the cheaper ones are grand and they last for eons.

What brands should I be looking out for? Something good for a beginner, but not massively expensive, im only young into this game yet :)
    Advantages are; easier to get in and out of after initial getting used to them. (you tube has loads of vids of people falling over when they first try them.)
    More positive attachment to pedal so easier to develop smooth efficient peadaling action.

No numbness too id hope :)

No numbness too id hope smile.gif
    Less likely certainly. Especially when you find a good cleat position.

The shimano SPD models (shoes and pedals) are the usual starters.
    About eighty euros from cahinreaction for the lot. (Pedals come with cleats-the bits you attach to shoes that clip into pedals.)

Can't reccomend a cheap model as I use more expensive carbon soles with spd-sl pedals.
    FWIW The cheap ones work grand they are just a bit heavier and not so super stiff in the sole. OK except for serious racing.

Less likely certainly. Especially when you find a good cleat position.

The shimano SPD models (shoes and pedals) are the usual starters.
    About eighty euros from cahinreaction for the lot. (Pedals come with cleats-the bits you attach to shoes that clip into pedals.)

Can't reccomend a cheap model as I use more expensive carbon soles with spd-sl pedals.
    FWIW The cheap ones work grand they are just a bit heavier and not so super stiff in the sole. OK except for serious racing.

Ok thanks :) Iv seen a few of those videos! Im alergic to falling. Its just a case of getting used of them..

Is there anythin in the middle?

Ride on grass until you are used to em.Everyone is allergic to falling.:)

• Advertisement

Ride on grass until you are used to em.Everyone is allergic to falling.:)

Ha ha.. Thanks... So.. Shimano SPD models.. Il check em out.. Thanks Papac :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Possibly something like this,
    shimano-pda530-med.jpg
    clipless one side, flat the other so you can use them with specific shoes or just flat shoes. Used them myself for a while but didn't like the flat side as it was too unstable compared with the clipless side. i have a pair of shoes and those pedals i could sell you if you've not sorted anything in a couple of weeks (I'm going away for two weeks)

abcdggs wrote: »
    Possibly something like this,
    shimano-pda530-med.jpg
    clipless one side, flat the other so you can use them with specific shoes or just flat shoes. Used them myself for a while but didn't like the flat side as it was too unstable compared with the clipless side. i have a pair of shoes and those pedals i could sell you if you've not sorted anything in a couple of weeks (I'm going away for two weeks)

What size would the shoes be?? And whats your price?? They Shimano??

They're pearl iziumi shoes, size 43
    here

They'll work perfectly with spd cleats and pedals.

for both i'd probably want 60

They're pearl iziumi shoes, size 43
    here

They'll work perfectly with spd cleats and pedals.

for both i'd probably want 60

Ok.. Il check in the local shop see what they have, if not, il get back to you, thanks :)

• Advertisement

Sure, no problem. If i'm not back to you it's because i'm out of the country.

Sure, no problem. If i'm not back to you it's because i'm out of the country.

ya thanks.. il know by then whats happening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

I'm not long into road cycling.

I use these Look Keo Easy pedals:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28263

with these Northwave Jet road shoes:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35490

A bit more expensive than above but very comfortable and would recommend them.

Anyone else have the SPD pedals??? Local shop is a small bit pricey. Also, can someone explain.... Are their different types of cleats to suit different pedals?? Or how does it work at all?? Small bit confused..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

When you buy the pedals they come with the matching cleats and then there's a universal mounting system (read a couple of holes) on the bottom of the shoes that any cleat will attach to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

zil wrote: »
    When you buy the pedals they come with the matching cleats and then there's a universal mounting system (read a couple of holes) on the bottom of the shoes that any cleat will attach to.

That's possibly misleading. SPD cleats come with SPD pedals and are compatible with SPD-compatible shoes. :)

Ok... So... am I right in saying... Were I to get these http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67125418#post67125418 (For example) These shoes have the 3 Holes underneath. I could then go and get say Shimano SPD Pedals as pictures in this post, or something like these Look pedals,http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055975585&highlight=pedals and both type pedals would work with the shoes because I would get a different type cleat with the pedal to suit that particular pedal ???

Ky Abu wrote: »
    Ok... So... am I right in saying... Were I to get these http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=67125418#post67125418 (For example) These shoes have the 3 Holes underneath. I could then go and get say Shimano SPD Pedals as pictures in this post, or something like these Look pedals,http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055975585&highlight=pedals and both type pedals would work with the shoes because I would get a different type cleat with the pedal to suit that particular pedal ???

No. You have to have shoes compatible with the type of cleats that come with the pedals.

In general terms road shoes/cleats come with three holes and MTB shoes/cleats come with two holes, but if in doubt find the shoe manufacturers description which should tell you which systems they're compatible with.

Oh damn it! haha.. I get you now. So the example of the Look Pedals I had, and the Northwave shoes wouldnt work together, as the look pedals have two holes, where as the shoes have 3...

Oh damn it! haha.. I get you now. So the example of the Look Pedals I had, and the Northwave shoes wouldnt work together, as the look pedals have two holes, where as the shoes have 3...

SPD cleats have two holes.
    Speedplay cleats have two holes.
    Look/Time cleats have three holes.
    SPD-SL cleats have three holes (I think).

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

OOps! So not as straight forward as I thought... Ok.. Thanks :) Il have to decide what I want and see what matches

Speedplay have two? i had thought it was four?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

OP, if you find shoes/pedals that you want, post them here so we can tell if they are compatible. It is confusing if you are new to clipless pedals. I remember being confused by SPD and SPD-SL - they sound very similar, and possibly compatible, but they are actually completely different.

My current set up is SPD pedals (Shimano M520) and mountain bike shoes (Specialized Comp MTB). I actually do road cycling, but I went for the mountainbike setup as the cleats are recessed, which means you can walk around in your cycling shoes, and the cleats don't make contact with the ground, so it's easier to walk.

OP, if you find shoes/pedals that you want, post them here so we can tell if they are compatible. It is confusing if you are new to clipless pedals. I remember being confused by SPD and SPD-SL - they sound very similar, and possibly compatible, but they are actually completely different.

My current set up is SPD pedals (Shimano M520) and mountain bike shoes (Specialized Comp MTB). I actually do road cycling, but I went for the mountainbike setup as the cleats are recessed, which means you can walk around in your cycling shoes, and the cleats don't make contact with the ground, so it's easier to walk.

Ah ok thanks. Ya that would sound good for me, like half afraid of falling off too... Any good second hand stuff on here?? Iv gone through the adverts and dont see anythin, wel iv not heard back from the few iv sent messages to either

Would love to get hold of the Shimano SPD pedals with the cleat system on one side, and normal on the other, just in case anyone of the family used my bike :)

Sorry, brain fade. You're right.

Would love to get hold of the Shimano SPD pedals with the cleat system on one side, and normal on the other, just in case anyone of the family used my bike :)

Isn't that a good reason to get very specialized pedals?

I had A530 pedals like that, didn't like them. Too slippery on the flat side.

Isn't that a good reason to get very specialized pedals?

I had A530 pedals like that, didn't like them. Too slippery on the flat side.

Im easily swayed Lumen. Iv heard a few now saying the flat side in not much use in these dual pedals.. I saw BBB (i think) pedals, for 55 each for the most basic, didnt really impress me, Shimano look better.., haha

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭LastGasp

Speedplay have 3 ! Well, 3 hole baseplate that fits 3 hole shoe. Then a 4 hole cleat plate screws onto the baseplate. Highly recommended if you have wonky knees (like me).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Ankling will stop your feet going numb.

What kind of distances are you doing, by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

I've used just about every pedal out there and concluded that Speedplay pedals are the best.

Something like the X-5
    speedplay-zero-stainless-pedal.jpg

These pedals allow a lot of degrees of freedom and need no adjustment. I never liked the Look pedals as they were too restrictive on the knees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Some interesting stuff on the linked page here, including a response from Steve Hogg:

"Every attempt that I have seen to train someone to pedal in a particular way (and I'm assuming when I say this that there have been no equipment or positional changes) breaks down as soon as that rider is in a race intensity situation, ie, 90+% heartrate and hurting. Under these conditions riders cannot think about individual strokes and revert to what comes naturally to them. For this reason I think that with the bracketed qualifier above, pedaling technique for an individual is a given. The best way to refine it is to ride a lot and undertake off the bike structural maintenance and improvement so that we function fluidly doing what ever comes naturally to us."

I agree with the cleat-back approach though, works great for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    I'm not long into road cycling.

I use these Look Keo Easy pedals:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=28263

with these Northwave Jet road shoes:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=35490

A bit more expensive than above but very comfortable and would recommend them.

+1 I've just started and these were easy to get used to - picked up both in the Cycle Superstore for just over 100 yoyos.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Considering getting some proper shoes and pedals etc for the bike I'm using and "Frogs"(?) was something that the brother said he was recommended and is happy with. Anyone got any opinions on that type, if I've even remembered what he said correctly?

Ankling will stop your feet going numb.

What kind of distances are you doing, by the way?

Im only a beginner, but iv done three 25 mile cycles, and a few 15's so far, and on mostly rough South Kerry roads.. Iv about 120 miles in total done in a few weeks which is nothin major I know..

• Advertisement
Advertisement