Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat trees/ scratching posts

Options
  • 23-07-2010 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hey guys I'm looking to invest in a second cat tree.
    As I now have 2 new kittens who are totally taking over my current tree.
    The older 2 are naturally getting upset that they no longer have the run of the tree.
    So basically wondering where i can get a good sized one cheap??
    Online or in a shop any ideas let me know???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

You could check zooplus.ie (or zooplus.co.uk sometimes has cheaper prices). I dunno how much the cat trees are, but they are cheap for other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I ordered this one on Zooplus. It's just for one cat.
    http://www.zooplus.ie/feedback/shop/cats/scratching_posts/large/127229
    When I looked at similar products in the petshop there was no comparison. The only problem is they have to be assembled when they arrive.
    Zooplus have regular discounts on certain products.
    Just spotted that they have some nice new cat trees for more then 1 cat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

If you want a cheap alternative try some boxes. Many years ago when we got our cat Jake and his brother Harry(passed away now:() the most fun they ever had, was with some cardboard boxes. We had a large shoebox (had boots in), a crisp box, a portable TV box(back before flat panel tv's) and a fruit box.
    The boxes were being stacked up for recycling and the cats and my then 2 1/2 year old daughter, found them. I ended up using scissors and some sellotape to join them up, with doors between them.
    Just add one of those sticks with feathers on, poke in through some of the holes and its best entertainment you'll ever have.
    It lasted a couple of months, and while it looked untidy it was worth its weight in gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭purpur1

I ordered this one from Zooplus.ie http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/cats/scratching_posts/medium/127260

Have to say it's brilliant, well worth the 60 odd quid. It's very sturdy with plenty of scratching areas. Fits nicely into a corner and its fairly slim so it's not bulking up a room. Zooplus were brilliant - delivered in 3 working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just generally, (and more especially if you have a multicat household, who will be pretty hard on any cat tree just because there are more of them), carpet is better on the uprights than sisal rope. If the rope has been tacked at top and bottom and wound, instead of being glued all the way along the upright as it's being wound, then if they scratch through one piece, the rope will unravel from the entire upright. You can rewind them with new rope, but it's a fiddly and time consuming procedure.

Chewed sisal rope can create an intestinal blockage so never leave loose sisal rope hanging off an old cat tree.

Carpet on the flats will also last longer than plush fabric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

We ordered the filaou / filou climbing tree from www.zooplus.ie - it was 50euro I think , free delivery. Very easy to assemble and a great tree for that money. Two kitties love it and seem to race for the top part (the penthouse, as we call it!) when its bedtime. Well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Agree, zooplus.co.uk is deffo. one of the cheapest places so well worth a look.

Maxi zoo also stock some large cat trees.

If you want to go nuts there are some lovely cat trees here http://www.catpalace.nl/ they were at the pet expo in Dublin and they are so cute and well made too, pricey but would love one even though we don't have cats.

Advertisement