Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 1080p problem , help needed

Options
  • 23-07-2010 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Hi I have a ps3 connected to a samsung 1080p tv via component cable.

When displaying any HD resoltion there is a problem where the ps3 shows kind of a double image , it is hard to explain , it is as if somebody streaked wet ink to the right , altough not too bad , it is very annoying and kind of cancels out the highere resolution.

Any toughts? Will a HDMI cable fix this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Could be a dodgy component input or cable. Have you definitely got the PS3 set to 1080p? Other than that try a HDMI cable, don't spend silly money on it, just get the cheapest one you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

amacachi wrote: »
    Could be a dodgy component input or cable. Have you definitely got the PS3 set to 1080p? Other than that try a HDMI cable, don't spend silly money on it, just get the cheapest one you can.

No it's definitely on 1080p , you can tell it's hd apart from the streaking.

Where is the cheapest place to get a HDMI cable? I checked in tesco but thet were €35:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    No it's definitely on 1080p , you can tell it's hd apart from the streaking.

Where is the cheapest place to get a HDMI cable? I checked in tesco but thet were €35:eek:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Connectors/dp/B0017RW94A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279915845&sr=8-1 is an example of a cheap one. Just checked Argos and they have one at 7 quid but it's a bit on the short side. Not sure of the best Bricks and Mortar place to pick up a cheap cable tbh, though Tesco semi-regularly have some at under a fiver. You might be as well seeing if someone has a cable you can borrow to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

amacachi wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8M-HDMI-Cable-Gold-Connectors/dp/B0017RW94A/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279915845&sr=8-1 is an example of a cheap one. Just checked Argos and they have one at 7 quid but it's a bit on the short side. Not sure of the best Bricks and Mortar place to pick up a cheap cable tbh, though Tesco semi-regularly have some at under a fiver. You might be as well seeing if someone has a cable you can borrow to check it out.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Turn sout it was a dodgy component cable , got a cheap HDMI from Argos and it is working brilliant.

Thanks for all the help , appreciate it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drnmalone

hey man you should get a more expensive cable as some of the cheaper cables dont support full hd spend around 40 for a good cable you will notice the difference.:) im an av installer so trust me i know as i use stuff like this the whole time :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I was always lead to believe there was no difference between hdmi cables - cheap and expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭drnmalone

unfortunatly there is a difference :(some of the cheaper cables dont have a very high bandwidth. if you look at a cheap and expensive cables side by side you`ll notice the expensive cable is noticeably thicker to allow for the extra bandwidth and the expensive ones are a higher version no if you look and the fine print on the packaging.
    ive used hdmi cables costing nearly 150 euros for a 2metre cable:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 teg23

There are arguments like this all the time about cable quality. Let me state that the apparent 'thickness' of the cable means NOTHING. Bandwidth does NOT get through thicker cables in any different way - this just illustrates that a lot of guff is spoken when discussing cables. HDMI is a digital signal - you will either see an image (and hear sound) or you won't, it will work or it won't.
    Once the cable supports HDMI 1.3a, you will be fine; cheap cables that conform to this standard will be just as good as more expensive ones.
    Check these sites:
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2007/02/7116.ars
    http://www.avrev.com/forum/plasma-lcd-hdtv/4395-hdmi-cables-expensive-vs-cheap.html
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/hdmi-cables-switches/596556-cheap-hdmi-vs-expensive-hdmi-cables.html
    The best comment I ever read about expensive cables likened them to jewellery for equipment - they don't do anything different, they're just pretty.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Nononolan

Id only pay extra if you were sending the signal over long distances.
    I ve read reviews of monster cables vs a bargain bin competitor, and over 1.5m they were fairly similar.....although extending the signal, the monster performed moderately better. Crazy prices though

Advertisement