Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hidden ip=hidden identity? Think again

• 23-07-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

http://panopticlick.eff.org

I've said a few times in various posts that the information your browser sends out, being unique, can identify you on the internet. I didn't realise it was this bad but by god this is amazing and I've gotten paranoid again.

If you think you're anonymous by IP alone, think again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,570 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

nice 1000th post :)
    or are you who you say you are!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

cheers didn't even notice that till you pointed it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

That information is like saying that if you hide your car registration number that your car colour can identify you.

It says my details are 1 in 150,000... out of a million.

So that's 15% of the population sampled.

mine was unique out of 1 million. You're forgetting it doesn't have to be as good as a mac or dna/finger print. If you're browsing certain sites with that? That's good enough to track you. Timestamps and pages viewed as well as frequency,cookies and let's not forget mac address and possibly even delay between page clicking. That is just the tip of the iceberg that when you hit a page straight off without anything else you're already massively different to anyone else who they're trying to track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,730 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

That information is like saying that if you hide your car registration number that your car colour can identify you.

It says my details are 1 in 150,000... out of a million.

So that's 15% of the population sampled.

It says I am " unique among the 1,095,635 tested so far."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

wolfric wrote: »
    let's not forget mac address

Mac addresses are not accessible by web servers.
    Not if you block insecure items like flash players etc.

I have Firefox and the "no script" plugin, blocking all Javascript unless explictely enabled per site.

Mac addresses are not accessible by web servers.
    Not if you block insecure items like flash players etc.

I have Firefox and the "no script" plugin, blocking all Javascript unless explictely enabled per site.

Apologies no, not on external sites however if you're penetrating an internal network, a mac address (assuming it doesn't go through a router) will be identified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I got
    Your browser fingerprint appears to be unique among the 1,096,378 tested so far.
    Is that good or bad?

Malice_ wrote: »
    I got Is that good or bad?

Well more than that it's just interesting and surprising. It's more bad than good but it's not really that bad. It means your computer can be identified and tracked even if you're hiding your ip. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a unique identifier for your computer among everyone elses out there but still it's quite easy to find identify and follow someone if you want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,238 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it means that 1 in a million, you're easily distinguished, either based on what plugins you have running, your time zone, screen resolution, etc.

Anybody who works with custom user fonts is screwed as well: I occasionally install a few from time to time to dick around with. And some games install them to run with. I think morrowind did this for instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

I think that site is a pile of poo, tbh.
    How can I be unique among 1m tests so far? Ubuntu 10.04 & FF - absolutely no browser or font customisation. No security changes from default on either OS or browser.

drop the results in pastebin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

wolfric wrote: »
    drop the results in pastebin

http://pastebin.com/2eektc5F

1 in 99,734 for this ([SIZE=-2]Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.7) Gecko/20100715 Ubuntu/10.04 (lucid) Firefox/3.6.7)[/SIZE] user agent? I find it hard to believe.

That's the string for anyone running Ubuntu/Firefox on 32bit Intel, default english install, who has their system up to date.

So, I downloaded and installed Konqueror and got this result.
    User Agent 13.09 8707.37 Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/4.4; Linux) KHTML/4.4.2 (like Gecko) Kubuntu

1 in 99734 are using FF and 1 in 8707 using Konqueror? Keep in mind that FF is installed by default. Konqueror must be added afterward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

...appears to be unique among the 1,097,191 tested so far.

:|

Advertisement