Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't face friends...

• 23-07-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I'm worried that this is going to sound terribly superficial, but my physical appearance has been bringing me down, to the point of social isolation. I find it hard to bring myself to go out at weekends, or to even get dressed to go into town. I'm paranoid that everyone is judging me on my weight and looks.

I go through cycles of going to the gym daily and eating right, but then fall into cycles of depression and binge eating. I find it hard to talk about this with friends, who refuse to understand how I can be so self conscious. When I discuss my plans of self improvement most of them just tell me I'm fine the way I am, when all I want from them is some motivation. I know I constantly irritate them by avoiding going out at weekends, and dodging other social events. I often make flimsy excuses as I don't want people to think I'm troubled or worry about me...

Basically I just don't know how to avoid falling into these cycles of highs and lows, and how to make my friends understand my difficulties and support me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 forest gunner

Hi OP.
    I can get too hung up on my physical appearence at times too i.e feel too small, too goofy, too weak etc.
    I do a bit of exercise to stay in shape but think about this...
    If you think that getting super fit is going to solve your self esteem issues, youre wrong. Youll probably always find something wrong with yourself no matter what you do.
    Why not believe in yourself? People are attracted to strong personalities not strong bodies.
    Im not saying let yourself balloon overweight - mind and body work as one. But just focus on the great personality that Im sure you have.
    Maybe focus on others instead of yourself? See how you can show kindness to people where others fail to and in turn you will inspire them.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 AdmiralRazor

Have you considered joining a fitness group at your local gym?

It would be a major motivator and a way to meet people who might offer you the encouragement your friends don't seem to be capable of giving.

Advertisement