Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bada Q

Options
  • 23-07-2010 7:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Anyone have any idea when this app store will fill up?

I love my wave but would love it more if there were 10s or 1000s of apps.... when are samsung going to fill this and end that competition they have going atm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

It isn't really up to Samsung, it's up to the developers.

The Apple App store was not filled up by Apple. It has taken several years to get where it is.

A large factor will be how many BADA OS phones Samsung sells over the next year or so. If developers see there are 10M potential customers, they might be tempted to port their apps to the platform.

Apps for Bada in large numbers, is not going to happen overnight. I would guess you will have to wait a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

I note that on http://www.samsungapps.com/ there are 385 apps available when country selected is ireland but when you change country to uk there are over 1300 available,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sandwich1989

sohappy wrote: »
    I note that on http://www.samsungapps.com/ there are 385 apps available when country selected is ireland but when you change country to uk there are over 1300 available,

how do i access those extra 915 on my phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

think you would have to use the keis software to download via your pc, not really sure as I havent used it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Anyone have any idea when this app store will fill up?

I love my wave but would love it more if there were 10s or 1000s of apps.... when are samsung going to fill this and end that competition they have going atm?

The quality of the apps is way more important than the quantity to a huge degree imho. When I had my 5800 the majority of the apps in the OVI store sucked balls due to being crappy ringtones or themes but switching to an Android based Desire which has a proper app store nets me cool apps every other day.

Saying that tho, as others have pointed out it could take at least a year or two to get a decent selection of apps in the Bada store if it even happens.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Saying that tho, as others have pointed out it could take at least a year or two to get a decent selection of apps in the Bada store if it even happens.

I think it will happen. Samsung is the worlds second largest phone maker. They seem very keen to have Bada succeed, to the point where they almost seem to be selling the Wave at a discount. Apart from Bada, the smaller screen, and a superior build quality, the Wave is at least €175 cheaper than the Galaxy. So Samsung seem willing to sell it cheaply in order to get Bada established. They have said there will be several more models of phones running Bada, most of them being cheaper than the Wave.

So Bada phones will be the cheapest way for people to get onto the smartphone bandwagon, and cheap always sells. So as long as Samsung sticks by their guns and floods the market with a cheaper alternative to iOS4 and Android, they will probably sell bucketloads of Bada phones.

If they do, the app developers will come to the party because the established market of Bada phones will be large enough that they would be stupid not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lawstud

I have my doubts about bada. I have the htc desire and my bro recently got a samsung wave. I know they have similar specs but I much prefer the desire. Don't get me wrong the wave is a great little phone but for me the screen is too small and the widgets are a bit awkward to place with any real symmetry. No text reflow when browsing (I know other smartphones don't have reflow. But after using it on the desire I couldn't manage without it.) and a limited app store. I also think that the iphone styled app list is a bit cartooish looking for me.

More to the point I think its kinda strange that samsung put android os on their flagship device - the Galaxy S. If they were serious about bada and its own app store surely it would make more sense to excluded android os and concentrate on developing bada and their app store.

Although, I suppose that giving people the option of android and bada in one phone while they work on the development of their app store could be a good move. Ultimately however I think the option of the android os and market place on the galaxy may serve to dilute the potential in the embryonic samsung bada os and app store.

At any rate the wave doesn't come with the duel android and bada option which is why I wouldn't be mad on it.

Comparing the Wave and the Desire is an interesting one, because it beatifully highlights what I was saying about Samsung subsidising the price of the Wave, making it an absolute bargain.

I paid €307 for my Wave. The Desire from the same source would be €477.

The Wave actually has better hardware specs than the desire in most areas. The one superior feature the Desire has is the OS. The Desire screen is actually only 0.4" bigger than the Waves, but with the same pixel dimensions, which means the Wave screen will appear slightly sharper as it is closer to what Apple have done with the iP4 making the pixel pitch smaller.

If Samsung had offered the Wave with a chice of either Bada or Android, it would have ensured that Bada never got off the ground, because everyone would opt for Android for instant apps gratification. I would have.

You 'can' get a Wave like phone with Android, they just called it the Galaxy and charge another €170 or so for it.

Bada may not succeed, but I think Samsung have the financial muscle to make it happen. I personally am not that fussed about apps, which is why I took a punt on the Wave and Bada. I can't loose, because I got a top spec'd phone, that performs near faultlessly in all important criteria, for a feature phone price. A thriving apps scene would just be icing on the cake.

Advertisement