Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is getting out

Options
  • 23-07-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

ok folks , just wondering is there many citizins of galway leaving for a holiday cos of race week? we have bucked a few days in waterford so i cant wait to go., just cant stand the races, is just me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Agree. One year I went to Florida instead. Yeah, that's better than being stuck amongst the crowds in Ballybrit or stuck amongst the crowds in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sillymoo

I'm working at the races this year - would love a holiday but the money is more essential!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Wouldn't mind getting out! Living here 5 years but its my first Race week experience! :s
    we have bucked a few days in waterford so i cant wait to go
    Ah my homeland! You ever been before? Need any advice on the good spots to head out down there just let me know! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Not going anywhere..
    Living near Athenry so have stocked up on food for the week and have told my family in the Westsiiiide that I'll see them the following week:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

cats.life wrote: »
    ok folks , just wondering is there many citizins of galway leaving for a holiday cos of race week? we have bucked a few days in waterford so i cant wait to go., just cant stand the races, is just me?

Can't.... I'm teaching English that week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

stuck here & living in Ballybrit.

car's going to be up on blocks pretty much. ugh. fml.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Love to escape too but work won't allow. Can't stand the races at all. Town will be mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭doctorwu

Any sign of a tent. Maybe some refuge there. Many have found safe haven there.

I have booked my week of work especially to come back to Galway for race week as I do every other year. Best week of the year in Galway and people want to leave, the mind boggels.

Gambling and drinking what more could you want!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Was *so* planning on it, but the other half got work, and that's few and far between. I may feck off up to Achill to visit a mate home from the States tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Abroad with work all of next week so I'll avoid the crazy madness. Might go racing at the weekend tho:)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

Last year wasn't bad at all, it's just before the actual racing starts, after that it's plain sailing. I think the amount of people staying home because of the traffic kind of cancels out the cars that are coming for the races.....

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭leebee77

ive booked week off work to get outa galway. tried desperately to get last minute holiday abroad but budget was laughed at! can anyone suggest where to go with two boys (9&10) for a couple of days for el cheapo hol in Eire. Have spend lots of time in west cork and kerry but never waterford/wexford/wicklow...anything going on around there????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Work in Ballybrit but can never get time off during race week. If you can get out during the races it's not the worst. Make sure your tax and insurance are in order. No drink on you either, I suspect with the economy the way it is the blind eye usually cast during the week won't be blind this time. No harm either

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Usually leave for it but stuck here this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Headed out with my mother and the baby to her homehouse in Aran yesterday, bliss! Have to come back in for my OH's work do at it (why?!!) on the Friday but will return here afterwards. I'd never stay in Galway city for it, tis hellish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Headed out with my mother and the baby to her homehouse in Aran yesterday, bliss! Have to come back in for my OH's work do at it (why?!!) on the Friday but will return here afterwards. I'd never stay in Galway city for it, tis hellish.

Tá an t-idirlíon scaipithe go hÁrainn anois? bhuel go sábhála dia sinn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Tá gan dabht, chomh tapaigh is atá sé sa bhaile!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Alambra

Can't stand the races!! Went one year and thought it was just over the top. Going to Dublin for a few days instead. Then back to nice normal Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I have booked my week of work especially to come back to Galway for race week as I do every other year. Best week of the year in Galway and people want to leave, the mind boggels.

Gambling and drinking what more could you want!!

Depends on your situation. If you've kids and aren't planning in going out and partaking in the festivities then it can be a nightmare.
    If your younger and still in party mode then it is the best time of the year in Galway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Last year I spent race week temping in an office in Parkmore. Getting home took forever.

This year's gig is walking distance from my house, so I'm happy. Just hope I don't fall over too many drunks in Eyre Square on my way to the office in the mornings :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

anything going on around there????

The Spraoi street festival is on in Waterford duringthe bank holiday weekend. Always a tonne of stuff at that like street performers, open air music and the parade/fireworks on Sunday night. It's basically like the Galway Arts festival but crammed into a weekend. Lots of entertainment for kids at it too. It's my first ever year missing it this year :(

http://www.spraoi.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Ms Fluorescent

I totally agree! The thoughts of people dressing up and looking at horses being whipped up and down a track kind of baffles me... but then again each to their own I guess:confused: I would love to somewhere else this week!!!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I've been promising myself for years that 'next year' I would escape the mayhem of race week, and this year I'm actually going to manage it; I'm delighted. It's far and away the worst week of the year to be playing gigs in town - double the trouble loading in and out, the least responsive audiences, and the pubs usually want you to play longer than usual because of the late licence, but without paying for it. Last year, I returned to my van one night after a gig to find a woman squatting beside it in the gutter taking a leak, and for me that just about sums up the level of squalid behaviour (aka 'craic'). The best thing about playing in Galway in general is the large number of tourists, who tend to be far more appreciative of live music than the domestic audience; race week brings out the worst of the Irish contingent, such a downer after the arts festival.

Had days booked off for it.. Then remembered it's shlte so I cancelled them.
    I work in Parkmore though so this bus will do my nut in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Used to live out by the Clayton and it was always a balls with the traffic.
    Thank feck I got away from bloody Doughiska.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Used to live out by the Clayton and it was always a balls with the traffic.
    Thank feck I got away from bloody Doughiska.

traitor!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Take the week off work.
    Live out near the course, so walk to the track one day.
    If the weather is fine use a motorbike to get to town most nights
    for a walk around the streets to savour the 'atmosphere' / mayhem.
    Yes it's mayhem and madness and totally over the top,
    but I've lived here all my life and wouldn't want to be anyhere else for that week.
    Kinda fun to watch it all unravelling. Sky black with Helicopters etc. €100 + to get from town to the track etc....Fianna Fail tent.....where have they all gone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

I've only managed to get out of town the odd time. It's a tough week to get through if you're not into it.

My mother gets the hell out every year, now that she's retired from her B&B buisness. She's delighted to no longer have to change the sheets every morning from the beds of blokes who get so hammered after the races they wet the bed (seriously, it's really common!!). It is but a distant memory for her now.

Also, three years ago, a mate of mine who's a postman, came across a lad, at 6 o' clock in the morning, buck naked, on the Dual carraigeway. When he approached him to ask if he was okay, the lunatic threatned to fight him and chased him down the road. I dunno if there's as much coke during the races as there used to be, but lets not forget the prostitution and the pick pockets too...

After all that, I'm going to stroll down for an hour, to show the American husband what the fuss is about.:o

The only upside... well if you live in Doughiska you can rent/sublet your place out for a few bob that week. A mate of mine was stuck one year, advertised a room in his house and did okay. That's the advantage of living in Doughiska folks;).

Advertisement