Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking device advice for recording Xbox360

Options
  • 23-07-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, didn't even know these forums existed until now.:o

I'm a complete newcomer to capturing, I have never done it or seen it being done before, I just have a general idea of what's involved. I'm interested in getting a device to capture videos from my Xbox360. I have loads of questions so forgive me.

1. I play my 360 through HDMI, does this mean I need to buy a HDMI capture device to record it? Or alternatively if I chose an SD device, will I need to switch to SD during play to capture from my 360?

2. I'm by no means looking for top end quality, but if possible I'd rather not play in SD while recording, so which product would you guys recommend me getting keeping in mind I'd have to be able to walk into a store and get it somewhere in Dublin.

3. I've attempted to look at people using capture devices on youtube, but it's frustrating as it's usually American kids that can be fairly hard to understand, and then when you read the comments loads of people complain the guide either didn't work or the person in the video used many other components not mentioned in the video. So I'd need if possible it to be explained to me exactly what's required and what wires need to be connected in which way both at the PC and the console.

4. Doubt this makes any difference but I'm playing on a:

http://www.philips.co.uk/c/televisions-5000-series/5000-series-32-inch-full-hd-1080p-digital-tv-32pfl5604h_12/prd/

Just in case anyone needs to know what ports are on my TV.

5. What format do most recorders record to? I do my video editing (basically just adding music cutting certain bits out) with windows movie maker, it's basic but it gets the job done for me.

I can't think of anything else just now, no doubt I'll think of more, thanks in advance for the help.

Ace.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

1. Playing your 360 through HDMI would mean that you would need an HDMI capture device. And if you pick an SD device, or rather something that would use a different set of cables, be they the component or composite ones, then you'd need to change your 360 setup to be compatible with them.

2. Bearing in mind that you do play via HDMI, I would recommend the Blackmagic Intensity series, but you would need to have either a USB 3.0 compatible computer for the Shuttle, or a proper desktop PC with a free PCI slot for the Pro. Other than that, for HD recording, grab an HD PVR ;)

3. It's a lot easier to explain the cables than some of the other possible hiccups that could happen let me tell you that :P

4. Shouldn't be too much of a difference :)

5. Depending on what you get, but I think most of them generally record to some form of compressed AVI. You can set them to record to uncompressed AVI, but I wouldn't recommend that if you're using WMM.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

I'm hoping not to spend too much, around €100 would be what I'd want to spend. My PC has spare PCI slots and I think one spare PCIe, so that's no problem, only USB 2.0 though. I do have both component and composite cables for the Xbox, it would just mean switching connections around every time I want to capture game play. I'm guessing the model you recommended is quite expensive, can it even be picked up in a shop in town?

Thanks for the swift response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

For max €100, that's probably one of the higher-end Dazzles. Although I'm no expert on Dazzle, easycap or things like that, so I can't really say which of them is the best.

I was looking at the HD PVR, seen it for $199, is it available in Ireland for the equivalent in euros or would it be as usual more expensive? If possible I'd prefer to pick it up in store. I might stretch to €150ish depending on the features of the product. I noticed when reading about it on hauppauge.com it didn't mention AVI as one of the formats it records to. And for whatever reason WMM doesn't support MP4. Have always had to convert from MP4 which gimps the quality.

The only reason I am considering the HD PVR if indeed it can record to AVI is so I can play though Component, at least it will still be in HD while I play. So basically my only concerns are:

Can it actually record to AVI?

Does it work with USB 2.0?

Can it be picked up in ireland? (Or at most a good priced trustworthy site that will deliver it here for a fair delivery charge)

And what is a good price for this?

Ace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

The PVR works out as about 175 all in so I'd recommend paying the extra. you really wont regret it

• Advertisement

Yeah I think I could stretch €175, where in Dublin can you pick it up? And can it record to AVI?

Yeah I think I could stretch €175, where in Dublin can you pick it up? And can it record to AVI?

You can't. You need to order it from their site. www.hauppauge.com

Their warehouse is in Dublin so delivery is like 1-2 days

Tallon wrote: »
    You can't. You need to order it from their site. www.hauppauge.com

Their warehouse is in Dublin so delivery is like 1-2 days

And do you know if it can record to AVI?:)

And do you know if it can record to AVI?:)

No it can't :(

You'll have to import it to sony vegas or something and convert it

Hmm, well that kind of tears it, I don't have the software, or the cash to get it. Will probably have to settle for a Dazzle card or something, or do they even record to AVI? lol

• Advertisement

Hmm, well that kind of tears it, I don't have the software, or the cash to get it. Will probably have to settle for a Dazzle card or something, or do they even record to AVI? lol

yeah, it will record to AVI. It's probably the best option for what your looking for, but I'd recommend getting the easycap for cheaper, does the same job and records the same quality

A friend of mine had an oem version of Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 he got with some stuff he bought a while back and he didn't need, so he gave it to me. So I have the editing software now if needs be. I'll see how cash goes over the next few weeks and judge whether or not to buy each device. The only reason I want a HD device at all is so I can play in HD, not bothered if the recording quality is HD or not, can't stand gaming through a scart connection on a large TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

A friend of mine had an oem version of Sony Vegas Pro 8.0 he got with some stuff he bought a while back and he didn't need, so he gave it to me. So I have the editing software now if needs be. I'll see how cash goes over the next few weeks and judge whether or not to buy each device. The only reason I want a HD device at all is so I can play in HD, not bothered if the recording quality is HD or not, can't stand gaming through a scart connection on a large TV.

With the pvr you will need the componant cable , you'll still be able to play in hd . Well worth the money.

Advertisement