Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In All Fairness

Options
  • 23-07-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

If you are being banned from a forum, in the interests of natural justice, should you not be allowed to go back and see what you are being banned for? Surely you should be allowed to judge whether your posts are unacceptable or not? I am perfectly happy with the standard of Modding on this site. Indeed, I would imagine it is what keeps me coming back, but surely while you can (and possibly should) keep a troll/****e poster from posting, you should never deny a defendant access to what was said (claimed to be said). Otherwise, how can they defend themselves?

All people who are being banned should be allowed access to the thread they are being banned for so that they can defend themselves or offer a genuine apology. No need to let them post.

Ger.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you are being banned from a forum, in the interests of natural justice, should you not be allowed to go back and see what you are being banned for? Surely you should be allowed to judge whether your posts are unacceptable or not? I am perfectly happy with the standard of Modding on this site. Indeed, I would imagine it is what keeps me coming back, but surely while you can (and possibly should) keep a troll/****e poster from posting, you should never deny a defendant access to what was said (claimed to be said). Otherwise, how can they defend themselves?

All people who are being banned should be allowed access to the thread they are being banned for so that they can defend themselves or offer a genuine apology. No need to let them post.

Ger.

Or you could just log out to see what was posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Ger.

Have a look at the link in my signature for the appeals process.

We are not robots, we are human. No, seriously.

All messing aside, if you think you have been banned unfairly, or are unsure as to why, we are all ears. We try our best to best to be as open and fair as possible.

A ban is typically used as a last resort to remove a poster who has either broken the rules of the forum, or is deemed a disruptive force. As such, that person is denied the opportunity to defend themselves until such time as their ban is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

Spear wrote: »

Sorry. How is that done? :o

Tom Dunne wrote: »

All messing aside, if you think you have been banned unfairly, or are unsure as to why, we are all ears. We try our best to best to be as open and fair as possible.

A ban is typically used as a last resort to remove a poster who has either broken the rules of the forum, or is deemed a disruptive force. As such, that person is denied the opportunity to defend themselves until such time as their ban is up.

Cool with that man. Didn't argue the validity of my ban. Just thought that a person who is banned should be allow to review their posts so they could at least say, "I'm terribly sorry" or else, "I still think you're wrong".

Denying people access to their offensive posts is wrong IMO.

AMC

Spear wrote: »

This post was thanked by a load of people in the know. So, tell us. Don't be mean y'miserable bastards. If I knew how to log out and log back in, do you not think I wouldn't have done it by now?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This post was thanked by a load of people in the know. So, tell us. Don't be mean y'miserable bastards. If I knew how to log out and log back in, do you not think I wouldn't have done it by now?

There's a log out button just under the upper right area, where your username and PM count are displayed.

And I also reserve the right to be a mean, miserable bastard.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

At the top of your screen you should see a bar with the words User CP, FAQ, Community, etc going from left to right. The Log Out option is last on the right. Click it and you will be signed out of your account.

From there, find the forum from which you were banned and look for the thread in which you posted something that got you banned.

When you have found it and read it, log back into your account as normal.

Great tips lads. But I logged out and then logged back in, I still can't get into AH nevermind the particular thread.

AMC (frustrated)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Great tips lads. But I logged out and then logged back in, I still can't get into AH nevermind the particular thread.

AMC (frustrated)
    Log out, then you are free to view all forums that are open to the general public, which is about 95% of them :)

Then log back in to access PMs and other such things personal your account.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Well, i have finally managed to get in to the forum (thanks for all the tips lads. It was like getting directions, and when you finally arrive at the place, you go "Oh that left, now it all makes sense" :))

Anyway, I'm glad I took a look, because I do feel that my banning was a bit harsh. I'm a huge fan of Doc Boc and his moderating but I do feel I've been hard done by.

If you read the posts leading up to the one I was banned for, I would think you could see the humour. I even put a stick out tongue emoticon just so GG would know I was only messing.

As I said, seems a bit harsh.

AMC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

How is that done exactly? Shouting really loud?

Edit: Also, just because you stuck in an emoticon doesn't exclude you from a ban. If that was the case, everyone would do it. I suppose the ban was borderline, but the Doc is usually pretty fair as far as I can see. Maybe if you didn't use the word "prick", you might have gotten away with it. But you'll have to ask the Doc to be sure.

El Weirdo wrote: »
    How is that done exactly? Shouting really loud?

Edit: Also, just because you stuck in an emoticon doesn't exclude you from a ban. If that was the case, everyone would do it. I suppose the ban was borderline, but the Doc is usually pretty fair as far as I can see. Maybe if you didn't use the word "prick", you might have gotten away with it. But you'll have to ask the Doc to be sure.

Don't mean to be rude, but do I know you?:confused:

What possible interest could you have in my banning?:confused:

You're dead right though. Doc Boc is not a prick. If him or Javaboy ban you, then you need to take a good look at yourself, generally.

Can I say generally again? It's not as good as "germane", but it's a good word.

*rubs himself and thinks of "salient"*

AMC

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Don't mean to be rude, but do I know you?:confused:

What possible interest could you have in my banning?:confused:
    Erm... Sorry.

Didn't realise that you had to know me before I could reply to one of your feedback threads.:rolleyes:

Ok, guys, let's keep it civil.
    Anyway, I'm glad I took a look, because I do feel that my banning was a bit harsh. I'm a huge fan of Doc Boc and his moderating but I do feel I've been hard done by.

Right, if you think it was a bit harsh, don't just sit there, do something. :)

Seriously, get a second opinion from the other mods, then if you are not happy with what they say, take it to the CMods. Then if you are still not happy, start a Help Desk thread.

You are being very decent about this, I am trying to be also.

Mods/CMods/Admins do make mistakes, you know. It can't hurt to get a second opinion.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Currently awaiting a reply to me private message to AMC. I didn't get his private messages till this morning. Did not see this thread till I sent t'other PM. I don't tend to ignore people who drop me private messages questioning this or that or pointing out where I may have been overly harsh. The specific is being dealt with as per the DRP.
    Incidentally, DRP, derp, somebody should look at changing the name. Perhaps a feedforward discussion in the making.

Currently awaiting a reply to me private message to AMC. I didn't get his private messages till this morning. Did not see this thread till I sent t'other PM. I don't tend to ignore people who drop me private messages questioning this or that or pointing out where I may have been overly harsh. The specific is being dealt with as per the DRP.
    Incidentally, DRP, derp, somebody should look at changing the name. Perhaps a feedforward discussion in the making.

Ok Doc, with that in mind, I'll close this thread.

Any issues, drop me a PM.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement