Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Overclocking my Q6600, help.

• 23-07-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Short and to the point:

I have no experience with over clocking.

My rigs about 2-3 years old.

I've this fan slapped on top of my Q6600

thermaltake%20big%20typhoon%20cpu%20cooler.jpg

My mobo is a Gigabyte P35C DS3R

I've 4gb of corsair DDR2 ram.

I've recently slapped a 9800GX2 into my rig.

I've read that arma2 is very CPU intensive and that the Q6600 is great for overclocking.

I want to overclock it. What do I do?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

What stepping is the quad? Most G0's will do 3-3.2Ghz without any extra volts, B3's need lots. Download cpu-z and see, post a screenie.

What exact ram have You got, post a screenie of the memory tab and spd tab open (You can open cpu-z more than once and include all tabs in one screenie)

Update Your mobo to the latest bios before You start, ds3 is a fine oc'er

Edit: also before You start take note of Your idle and full load temps (after 15-20mins) with core temp, OCCT will fill your cores to 100% and give max temps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Okay yeah I remember well back when I was buying my Q6600 there was all this talk of a cooler running version coming out. Unfortunately mine is not that version so yes indeed its a B3 :(

Heres this :

beforegh.jpg

Ran a 100% cpu test and my temps according to coretemp went up to around late 40's to mid 50's.

However OCCT shows much hotter temps then coretemp over all , idle and on load :confused:

This is my ram btw Corsair-Twix-DDR2-XMS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Dunno how I missed this tweaking and modding section , soz about that mods.

So anyway, what now? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Sorry man, been away and then been busy

Run occt for 30mins and take a screenie of coretemp while its running at max load, need to know your max temps are before You start.

There is no definitive overclock guide, every board is different and every bios has different settings. The idea is to relax the memory frequency and start adding to your core frequency, try going from 333 to 350fsb, then push a further 10 fsb if that boots to windows fine. When You get a fail its because the chip needs more voltage, add volts and see if it passes. Adding volts gives higher temps so You'll need to keep an eye on them. When You get the cpu to its limit (be that the actual chip limit or the temps far enough) You move Your ram back to its natural speed.

Have a google, lots of peeps overclocked quads on the ds3, I never had one. Here's a good guide specific to Gigabyte:
    http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1169366

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

Regardless of the stepping of that Q6600 you can easilly push 3.4ghz. Especially if you have good cooling/air flow through the case and a bit of patience. The only thing i can see hampering you here is the motherboard. The P35's were notorious for vdroop

But as possy said. Run ICCT for 30 mins and post us a screenie of your temps. With this we can see how hot it is running now and will be able to push it a bit further :) But also remember, overclocking does void the warranty ;)

Oh and another thing, you will need to turn intel speedstep off in the bios. As i see your Q6600 running at 1.6ghz above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭WEST

I have overclocked a e6600 to 3.2Ghz, I just upped the CPU voltage one notch in the BIOS and at load I get a max of 58c. At this temp CPU fan increases speed and the temp drops to approx 51c.

I set the multiper to 8x and the FSB to 400. You should have no problem reaching this speed.

Re the intel speedshep, I left this on. Since the CPU speed is adjusted depending on the demand put on it, is there a need to turn it off? Playing any demanding game, my CPU stays at 3.2 Ghz. Just browsing the web, it decreases in speed meaning the CPU is cooler and drains less power.

Advertisement