Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get broadband...

• 23-07-2010 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Imagine if you will a house in rural Donegal. A house with no access to broadband. No fixed phoneline capable, no 3G signal. Nada.

There is however a hill behind this house.

400m up this hill you will get a 3G signal.

However there is no power.

So....
    How to get broadband to the house?

I had thought on daisy chaining Cat5 using Ethernet Extenders with PoE. Assuming it would work that far, and assume there is hardware that would be sufficiently powered by PoE to receive and transmit a 3G signal.

ugly as hell but.
    USB 3G Modem -> usb to ethernet adapter - > ethernet extender....100m cat 5....ethernet extender....(power injector)....usb to ethernet adapter - > house
    No way convinced it would work.

Satellite, been there, tried that... aint good. Aint Broadband (even 3G is pushing it but beggers cant be choosers).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Dovado or other router with directional panel aerial on the WiFi. Car battery to power it (I think it runs of 12V instead of mains adaptor). BIG solar panel (15W at least) and USB 3 G dongle all in dog kennel.

second wifi directional panel at house.

400m only needs basic directional panel, not the big MMDS dishes (pair of they is 5km).

Good satellite is usually better than 3G. Maybe it was a very cheap (for Satellite) service. The ones I've tested only issue (if dish was big enough for rain) was the 800ms ping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was thinking along exactly the same lines.

a re-flashed la fonera 'fon' router off ebay would be ideal as the remote router as it has a removable antenna for your to attach a more suitable directional panel and only uses 5v to power it so a 12v car cigarette lighter type USB charger t a car battery would take care of the power needs without you needing to mess around too much aside from doing a usb power mod (15-20 mins very simple soldering) on the router.

there's lots of online guides on how to re-flash it to get the most out of it as well.

AND there's been success getting some USB 3G dongles to work off the USB ports on them too, so as long as you do some research first and make sure get the right dongle, you should be good to go. :)

also, not sure if it's still on, but maplins were doing 12v solar trickle chargers at half price for €15 quid a while ago and i have 2 for my car and they work a treat for keeping my two big batteries topped up.

afaik they only put out up to 1.5w, but a few of them working together to charge a car battery (to see your router through the night) would do the trick nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭CelticTigress

Imagine if you will a house in rural Donegal. A house with no access to broadband. No fixed phoneline capable, no 3G signal. Nada.

There is however a hill behind this house.

400m up this hill you will get a 3G signal.

However there is no power.

So....
    How to get broadband to the house?

I had thought on daisy chaining Cat5 using Ethernet Extenders with PoE. Assuming it would work that far, and assume there is hardware that would be sufficiently powered by PoE to receive and transmit a 3G signal.

ugly as hell but.
    USB 3G Modem -> usb to ethernet adapter - > ethernet extender....100m cat 5....ethernet extender....(power injector)....usb to ethernet adapter - > house
    No way convinced it would work.

Satellite, been there, tried that... aint good. Aint Broadband (even 3G is pushing it but beggers cant be choosers).

Duderino, do you live in my house!? I'm in exact same pickle.

Best I can get is ISDN dialup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

its definitely doable anyway. maybe not simple, but not impossible.

it might also be worth looking into the possibility of using a tall pole attached to the house to mount an external antenna on and try and get a signal there? maybe use a temporary wooden one just to see if it's workable and then get a steel one if it works out?

might be easier than trying to get the whole lot working on the top of a hill that might not even be your own property. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭TheDuderino

Thanks guys n gals, for the input. Nice to know things ARE possible.

Pity there isnt an all in one off the shelf product for same.
    Or perhaps this is a business opportunity.

The land from the house to the top of the hill is owned by us (brother actually), so thats all good.

I had thought on running a USB cable up a pole and seeing if it would groove.
    15m is the max for USB.... as far as Im aware.
    Still 15m vertical isnt to be sniffed at. Might be fun organising a pole that high though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can use an USB active repeater(s) and get 30m to 45m. But modem needs so much power you need to run +5V power up pole too!

Advertisement