Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweetie Pies

Options
  • 23-07-2010 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Has anyone Been to that new coffee shop in Galway called sweetie Pies?

I was in there last week while on hols. I couldn't get over the fact that it's a one off (not part of a big chain) and Irish.

Very nice.
    Very busy though.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

bad joke :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

mink_man wrote: »
    nah creamie pies is my favourite place to go! :pac: oj

:eek: ........... :D

its not a one off. There is a branch in Athenry in the old Garda station and one in Loughrea

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yup: very styley, very girlie, and ultra high-calorie. Prices to match.

Lovely stuff if you're in the mood for it (I'd had a bad day, need a serious chocolate fix!), but I can't see me being a regular.

Good luck to them though, lots of people have tried and failed in that site, at least they're managing to look busy-ish at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

its not a one off. There is a branch in Athenry in the old Garda station and one in Loughrea

The one in Loughrea closed down months ago. Whereabouts is the one in Galway? Pretty average place IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I haven't been in there yet, the buns in the window have looked pretty gross everytime I've walked past and it put me off. Have they got decent coffee? I'll give it a go if they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

I didn't realize they'd 3 branches, business must be good.

The coffee is excellent, I like my coffee:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

where is this place?

(not that it's going to change the fact that I rarely buy baked goods...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Middle street apparently:

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/28062

Kiddies corner makes the place sound like my idea of hell:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Cathal01

I think the one in Athenry is closed now too........

• Advertisement

FUtoo wrote: »
    Middle street apparently:

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/28062

Kiddies corner makes the place sound like my idea of hell:eek:

That's a great article on the place, makes me want to go back:D

Most coffee shops don't cater for kids so that's a plus in my book.

Maybe you're too young to appreciate that kind of thing, lucky you:D

Xiney wrote: »
    where is this place?

But baked goods are awesome! Well, good quality ones are :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

That's a great article on the place, makes me want to go back:D

Most coffee shops don't cater for kids so that's a plus in my book.

Maybe you're too young to appreciate that kind of thing, lucky you:D

No, I'm not that young really; it's just that I prefer coffee shops to creches:). If I'm buying overpriced cake and coffee I like to eat said over priced cake and drink said over priced coffee in relative peace and quiet and actually enjoy it as opposed to suffering playtime noise and chaos.

I'm sure such an area in a restaurant is an absolute boon for parents and wonderfully enjoyable for children too but to me it means that I shall go elsewhere to eat over priced cake and drink over priced coffee; luckily living in Galway means there's plenty of choice on that front:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I really liked it and hope that because it's big they'll keep it as one side for Mommies/Daddies and kids and the other for ladies/gents who lunch. Sounds weird coming from a Mommy I'm well aware but when I go out without the wee man I don't want to be minding someone elses! That said I think I've become more tolerant, I just don't like when parents ignore their kids doing something wrong and expect a stranger to take over. I thought it was a nice place, very girly but my OH's salad was enought to fill his enormous appetite with all the bread they gave him!

FUtoo wrote: »
    No, I'm not that young really; it's just that I prefer coffee shops to creches:). If I'm buying overpriced cake and coffee I like to eat said over priced cake and drink said over priced coffee in relative peace and quiet and actually enjoy it as opposed to suffering playtime noise and chaos.

I'm sure such an area in a restaurant is an absolute boon for parents and wonderfully enjoyable for children too but to me it means that I shall go elsewhere to eat over priced cake and drink over priced coffee; luckily living in Galway means there's plenty of choice on that front:p

You'd be hard pressed to find a coffee shop anywhere that doesn't have kids.
    I do know what you mean though, it is nice to escape the little darlings every now and then:D

Thanks god for pubs after 6:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Spadina wrote: »
    But baked goods are awesome! Well, good quality ones are :D:p

yes but yours are the only baked goods that are nicer than my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Alambra

I've been in twice because the people I was meeting both times had kids and were curious about it - the cup cakes look ok but when I got some for the kids even they thought they were ultra sweet and they didn't come close to finishing them. The staff were very nice though and I'd get other food there instead of the buns when/if I go in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Girlie cafe's seem to be recession proof! There's a new one open every other week around town.

Xiney wrote: »
    where is this place?

Middle St, former pro-cathedral building. It was an Indian restaurant. And a different Indian restaurant before that too, I think. Just across from the Amnesty International shop.

Girlie cafe's seem to be recession proof! There's a new one open every other week around town.

Not too recession proof or their place wouldn't be sitting empty in Loughrea since last year.

So it's right across from Gourmet Tart? Is that still there? Quite similar places no? Although Sweetie Pies has seating etc.

• Advertisement

The only things that are recession proof are TD's, dentists, doctors and undertakers:D

So it's right across from Gourmet Tart? Is that still there? Quite similar places no? Although Sweetie Pies has seating etc.

Around the corner.

Actually, GT were advertising for waitresses/waiters a bit before it opened. Clearly the didn't need them for their GT format shops (strictly shop assistants there). So it wouldn't surprise me if it's the same company under a different brand.

(I don't have ANY information either way, just making a wild-but-not-off-the-wall guess.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

JustMary wrote: »
    Around the corner.

Actually, GT were advertising for waitresses/waiters a bit before it opened. Clearly the didn't need them for their GT format shops (strictly shop assistants there). So it wouldn't surprise me if it's the same company under a different brand.

(I don't have ANY information either way, just making a wild-but-not-off-the-wall guess.)

GT are opening a resturant in Salthill, that's probably what they wanted all the staff for.

Was in sweetie pies for sandwich and coffee, was ok but too expensive. regarding new bakeries, Bake house just opened, its beside ryans homeware (or whatever its called) got a bakewell from them yesterday and it was very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

Haven't been to the one in Galway but if it's the same crowd running it as ran Loughrea I won't be visiting.
    Loughrea was always filthy and the staff were as lazy as sin!
    Their pastries were frozen and there was no facility to change a nappy in the ladies - not even a chair! :mad:

Think I might go check them out today.

It is the same one as was in Loughrea.

Went to Bakehouse today, very unimpressed with their cupcakes, not a bit of colour on them, not even a few sprinkles, most places throw too many on, this place don't use them at all. Not very appetising to look at, no little labels to say what all the products were, and at €2.10 a pop not good value either. The icing was nice, but too much of it.

Have a mars bar slice to taste yet. Edit: The "Mars Bar Slice" is just rice krispies and chocolate, feel really cheated, if I'd wanted Coco Pops I could've bloody bought them. Sweetie Pies doesn't have to worry about competition anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭apple26

I was there last Saturday and can honestly say I will not be returning. The service was really bad and the prices were extortionate.

Ok, the place was busy but that does not excuse staff mixing up orders and forgetting one person's food. We ordered 3 sandwiches and eventually after 30 minutes our food appeared, minus one sandwich. When we enquired about the remaining food we were told that the kitchen staff had "forgot" to make it and would do so straight away. We were waiting on a toasted BLT and when it finally appeared it was not toasted and the bacon was cold. We were so fed up at this stage that the sandwich was eaten and no more said about it.

When I went to pay I was charged €6.95 for my plain chicken sandwich. IMO that is daylight robbery. I don't mind paying for something when it is worth the money but there was nothing special about this sandwich.

This place needs to up it's standards and lower it's prices if it wants to succeed.

apple26 wrote: »
    I was there last Saturday and can honestly say I will not be returning. The service was really bad and the prices were extortionate.

Ok, the place was busy but that does not excuse staff mixing up orders and forgetting one person's food. We ordered 3 sandwiches and eventually after 30 minutes our food appeared, minus one sandwich. When we enquired about the remaining food we were told that the kitchen staff had "forgot" to make it and would do so straight away. We were waiting on a toasted BLT and when it finally appeared it was not toasted and the bacon was cold. We were so fed up at this stage that the sandwich was eaten and no more said about it.

When I went to pay I was charged €6.95 for my plain chicken sandwich. IMO that is daylight robbery. I don't mind paying for something when it is worth the money but there was nothing special about this sandwich.

This place needs to up it's standards and lower it's prices if it wants to succeed.

TBH it's not as if they were robbing you blind. They state their prices on a menu at the door, I'm presuming also on the menus given to you inside, so at that point it was your choice to order the food and then pay for it. If it bothered you so much, you could have just walked away, like I did when I saw how much they were charging.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

I was in Sweetie Pies for lunch and I did find the price of their sandwiches a little high for what you got. The main issue I had was the level at which the cakes are displayed. They are a child-friendly restaurant, which is nice, but I really don't like the fact that the cakes are at a 5-yr-old's level for them to touch and maul.

Now most of the cakes are covered with a net cloche but for instance the lovely yet expensive chocolate loaf cake was displayed uncovered, for flies and kids to crawl on. I had my eye on this cake to have after my lunch, to share with the OH. (At 4.50 a slice you would have to share!) Just as the waiter had walked away with my order did I see a little (potentially snotty) hand grab some of the cake only to be shooed away by adoring mammy. Suffice to say it put me off the cake and the OH profited from the result. (Maybe he paid off the kid, who knows;))

So Sweetie Pies, if you are listening, cover up all of your cakes and put them up higher, or if you want kids to see them invest in a clear glass refrigerator to display them!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

It is the same one as was in Loughrea.

Went to Bakehouse today, very unimpressed with their cupcakes, not a bit of colour on them, not even a few sprinkles, most places throw too many on, this place don't use them at all. Not very appetising to look at, no little labels to say what all the products were, and at €2.10 a pop not good value either. The icing was nice, but too much of it.

That's cheaper than sweetie pies.

Advertisement