Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweetie Pies

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

That's cheaper than sweetie pies.

How much are they in Sweetie Pies? Do they "look" worth the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

I believe they were 3e and over for the standard cupcakes, and more for the rest of the stuff. Whether they 'look' worth it or not is completely subjective, I wouldn't put a high value on cupcakes at all since I know how to make them.

3 euro? My God, well it'd have to be diamond encrusted for that money, imagine paying 12euro for 4 cupcakes.

Whenever I've sold cupcakes I priced them at 1.50, I didn't have Galway City rent prices but still though, that's ridiculous.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I bought a selection of the cupcakes recently and they were about €2.50-2.80 in general and over €3 for the bigger ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Robbo wrote: »
    I bought a selection of the cupcakes recently and they were about €2.50-2.80 in general and over €3 for the bigger ones.

Wow. Are they much nicer than cupcakes you'd get elsewhere or make yourself?Do they taste worth it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

chilly wrote: »
    Wow. Are they much nicer than cupcakes you'd get elsewhere or make yourself?Do they taste worth it??

I thought so:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

Robbo wrote: »

Jesus, for that price I'll come over and bake you some myself. That's CRAZY MONEY.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

chilly wrote: »

I should mention that for that price you are getting waiter service. The prices are pretty comparable with what you'd pay in Dublin for a self service cafe.

I wish they had a branch in Dublin to be honest as there's nothing like it up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Spadina wrote: »
    3 euro? My God, well it'd have to be diamond encrusted for that money, imagine paying 12euro for 4 cupcakes.

Whenever I've sold cupcakes I priced them at 1.50, I didn't have Galway City rent prices but still though, that's ridiculous.

Thought you sounded like a competitor all right....

Thought you sounded like a competitor all right....

Definitely not a competitor to established places like that, but I'm just fascinated by the crazy prices these places charge for generally not great products and how people actually pay for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭sunflowa

Just wondering if anyone has had one of the giant cupcakes? They look delicious! Also if anyone knows how much they cost? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Lensbaby89

I helped to organise a charity event not so long ago and with absolutely no sponsorship of raffle prizes, Sweetie Pies owner jumped right in and gave us a voucher and then a box of super fancy cakes, she even gave my co organiser a free coffee at the end of a particularly hard day trawling the streets of Galway.
    Lovely, lovely people and I really hope they succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭SparKing

sunflowa wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone has had one of the giant cupcakes? They look delicious! Also if anyone knows how much they cost? Cheers!

giant cupcake = cake?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Has anyone Been to that new coffee shop in Galway called sweetie Pies?

I was in there last week while on hols. I couldn't get over the fact that it's a one off (not part of a big chain) and Irish.

Very nice.
    Very busy though.
    how long ago did you open this shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

found that they are ok for once in a blue moon, i wouldn't dream of eating in there either as the prices are even dearer than takeaway which is dear. €4.50 for some of the stuff is just ridiculous. You can get desserts which of similar if not better quality in places like Gourmet Tart and La Petit Delice for half that. Always found the tables, chairs etc a bit weird too, doesn't fit with the image of a cupcake cafe, wheres the comfy seats and cushions and bright colours?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

Takeaway prices are not too bad, with the current offer 6 cakes for price of 4 for takeaway...so roughly €2 each.

However sat in to eat a few days ago and was charged €2 for water! Tap water with a slice of lemon in it. :eek:

Nice food, great cakes... but as mentioned nothing you can't get better for cheaper elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

6 of us went to Sweetie Pies few weeks ago and never again.

Worst service ever, had to ask 4 times for cutlery, had to get it myself. Asked what flavour cupcakes they had was told she didn't know to go for a look to the front of the shop. Lights not working could barely see what we were eating.

Charged €50 for 6 tea/coffee, slice cake, 2 cupcakes, salad and 2 waffles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

TillyGirl wrote: »
    6 of us went to Sweetie Pies few weeks ago and never again.

Worst service ever, had to ask 4 times for cutlery, had to get it myself. Asked what flavour cupcakes they had was told she didn't know to go for a look to the front of the shop. Lights not working could barely see what we were eating.

Charged €50 for 6 tea/coffee, slice cake, 2 cupcakes, salad and 2 waffles.

I would agree that their service isn't hectic. On a recent visit, I waited ages for them to bring milk for our coffee and ended up going and taking it off one of the other tables as it was easier. The milk arrived about 5 minutes later:rolleyes:

Tried getting a table in there a few weeks previous and they were going to put us sharing a table with another couple, but it was a tiny table, and we would have been like sardines at it, yet the girl who seated us did not see a problem with that. We opted to go elsewhere and apologized to the people at the table for the cafe's 'bad crowd management'.

They could also do with investing in some of those electric fly killers as there are always flies buzzing around in there. Better quality tables and chairs would be good also, ones that matched, and didn't look like they came from the hock shop.

I sound like I'm nitpicking here, but they charge a premium price yet do not deliver a premium product/service in premium surroundings(or just proper surroundings). Their cakes are nice(I cannot comment on their other food as I have not tried), but they could badly do with improving their service and adding a bit of polish to their interior. It's only right at those prices.

Also, their bathrooms still whiff and they should really pay more attention to the hygiene of same.

Cupcakes are soooo fashionable right now, and it's clear that they are 'packing them in' down there but that is no excuse for sloppy standards.

I would agree that their service isn't hectic. On a recent visit, I waited ages for them to bring milk for our coffee and ended up going and taking it off one of the other tables as it was easier. The milk arrived about 5 minutes later:rolleyes:

Tried getting a table in there a few weeks previous and they were going to put us sharing a table with another couple, but it was a tiny table, and we would have been like sardines at it, yet the girl who seated us did not see a problem with that. We opted to go elsewhere and apologized to the people at the table for the cafe's 'bad crowd management'.

They could also do with investing in some of those electric fly killers as there are always flies buzzing around in there. Better quality tables and chairs would be good also, ones that matched, and didn't look like they came from the hock shop.

I sound like I'm nitpicking here, but they charge a premium price yet do not deliver a premium product/service in premium surroundings(or just proper surroundings). Their cakes are nice(I cannot comment on their other food as I have not tried), but they could badly do with improving their service and adding a bit of polish to their interior. It's only right at those prices.

Also, their bathrooms still whiff and they should really pay more attention to the hygiene of same.

Cupcakes are soooo fashionable right now, and it's clear that they are 'packing them in' down there but that is no excuse for sloppy standards.
    might be wrong but i think they are the same tables and chairs that were in the Indian that was there before them :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

might be wrong but i think they are the same tables and chairs that were in the Indian that was there before them :eek:

Some of them look like they may have been in an Indian restaurant right enough, but they have added in a 'haphazard' selection of extra ones also, and they all look 'interesting', and not in a good way:p

• Advertisement

Some of them look like they may have been in an Indian restaurant right enough, but they have added in a 'haphazard' selection of extra ones also, and they all look 'interesting', and not in a good way:p
    yep its like i said earlier in the thread, where are the comfy couches/seats, bright colours etc, you expect more for your money really.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I was in there for the first time today and won't be back either! Place was packed and tables are on top of one another. I wanted to try the red velvet cupcake and had been told they had them. It took ages for them to get just a coffee and the cupcake, although a woman at the next table ordered a baked potato and was still waiting after i'd had mine and read most of the paper.

Coffee was just meh, i've had much better americanos in town, it tasted weak and grainy. Cupcake was weansey, literally the size of an old queen cake and tasted like yesterdays. The staff seemed to be under orders to turn tables as quickly as possible so that once you cleared your plate,cup, they were whipped from the table.

Went to pay and was charged €6.60 for the privelege of not enjoying either the coffee or cake - never again :(

I should mention that for that price you are getting waiter service. The prices are pretty comparable with what you'd pay in Dublin for a self service cafe.

I wish they had a branch in Dublin to be honest as there's nothing like it up here.
    was in Dublin today and there are two branches of Queen of Tarts (Dame St and Cow Lane) which are way better than Sweetie Pies. Prices are similar but the service is miles better. They dont do as many cupcakes, moreso tarts and other desserts but can be compared and compares so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Spotted this deal today http://livingsocial.com/deals/45566-six-cupcakes?msdc_id=515 6 cupcakes for €6, good deal Id say. haven't been myself yet though.

Advertisement