Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mounting a scope on a cz 452 + bore guide

Options
  • 23-07-2010 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭

Hows it going lads I was just wondering can you give me some info on mounting a scope to my cz 452 lux, I was just wondering what objective and mounts would be best with that rear sight. Also have any of you used quick release mounts? I thought it would be handy as I love plinking with the irons. And finally do any of you know where i can get a bore guide? i know i can order it from the net but i'd prefer to walk into a shop and just get rather than waiting on shipping.
    Cheers:)
    Sam

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

juice1304 wrote: »
    Hows it going lads I was just wondering can you give me some info on mounting a scope to my cz 452 lux,

If installing the scope the quick way would be to place the rifle in a gun clamp or very steady front rest and back bag. Place a spirit level on a flat section of the rifle. If none can be got or trusted take the rings apart and screw on the bottom section of the rings leaving the top piece of. Tighten these down. Now place a level across these rings and straighten the rifle. Once your happy, place the scope into the rings and place the top section of the rings on the bootom section over the scope and screw in the screws but DO NOT tighten.

Have a heavy string/line hanging from the ceiling of your hall (at the end of the hall). Weigh it down if necessary. This will give you a dead straight vertical line. Have the rifle pointing towards the string and adjust the position of the scope forward and back in the rings until your eye relief is good (that there is no black when you look into the scope) Twist/turn the scope until the vertical line of the crosshair tallies with the string/line hanging in your hall. Once happy tighten the screws on the rings but do so in an alternating fashion as if you tighten one side fully it will twist the scope in the rings. Problem i find with some lads is even though the crosshairs are perfectly straight everyone holds the rifle at a slight cant and so when they put it to their eye they think the crosshair is leaning. Its not. Resist the temptation to adjust it as canting the crosshair to suit your hold will mean any clicking to zero the scope will result in angled adjustments rather than perfectly up/down or left/right adjustments.

Go to a range or find a fixed spot at home. Somewhere around the 50yd mark is grand. Have the elevation of your scope trned down to zero. Have the windage adjustments centralised. As in if there is 50 minutes (moa) of adjustment have it set for 25moa. Have the bolt removed and with the rifle unclamped adjust the rifle until you can see the target down the barrel. The muzzle of the gun will appear as a circle and must sit perfectly "central" in the circle created by the breach. Once this is done make sure the target is central in the circles created by the muzzle and breach. Have the rifle reclamped making sure the target is still central in the bore/barrel. Now without moving the rifle look through the scope and see where the crosshairs are in relation to the target. Adjust the crosshairs up to and left/right until they meet the target. Now once more check the bore/barrel sight and scope sight. If you are happy both are pointing at the same target time to replace the bolt and fire a shot (this is why i recommen doing this at a range). Find where the shot impacted. Measure the distance from your point of impact to the target bull and adjust your scope as necessary. gain fire another shot. You should be either in or very close to the bull. Make one more adjustment if you are not in the bull and fire one more round. You should be zeroed at this point.

I was just wondering what objective and mounts would be best with that rear sight.

You could try many different rings/mounts. Sports Match, Millet, etc. It really depends on what you want and do you intend to leave the rear sights on or off. If on you may need a higher mount or even a raiser block. They are 11mm in width so whatever suits. Sorry for not being specific.

Also have any of you used quick release mounts?

Years ago. No real disadvantage if installed correctly (as with all mounts). I got rid of them as they were of no use. I use a scope always so they were wasted on me. Again personal choice. Should not cause any problems with zero when the scope is re-attached, but someone with more experience than me with them should be better able to give you the pros and cons.
    And finally do any of you know where i can get a bore guide? i know i can order it from the net but i'd prefer to walk into a shop and just get rather than waiting on shipping.

Honestly, most every shop should carry some line of bore guides. I see from your details you are in Lusk so i cannot recommend a shop local as i never bought from anywhere near you. Try John Kavanagh in Fingal Sports, Cresent Sport in Monkstown or Tallaght Rod and Gun. A Bore Tech or something similar should cost about €20 - €25 or so. Been a while since i bought one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I mounted a Leupold 3-10x40 with 30mm body on my CZ on Thursday.

I had to remove the rear sight blade to get the scope to sit in a good spot for me.
    I've put the rear blade sight away safe, but the scope is the business on the medium height mounts I bought.

Just back far enough I can see, bright enough, illuminated and mil-dot in place, sitting right down on the action and a cheap comb riser gets me on target.

Get the scope set for you, then tighten it all up bolt by bolt and relax lad!

These CZ rifles are eager to shoot by the looks of my groups today, rusty as I am at riflery.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

A handy boreguide for the CZ is a fired 20 gauge shotgun cartrige with the primer knocked out.

Advertisement