Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public liability insurance re: hiring a venue

Options
  • 23-07-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

I am trying to hire a room at a local venue, but have to wait for them to check their 'public liability insurance' as the room will be used for selling things in (Table top sale) They hire out rooms for kids parties and conferences and don't seem to have problems with that.

Does anybody know if there should be a problem with this or anything I can argue my case with if need be?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

perhaps try a different forum other than Greystones?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've tried hiring stalls in farmer's markets and craft markets in the past for selling stuff I make and every time I've been hit with not only the stupidly high charges for the stall itself, but the requirement for me to have my own 3rd party liability insurance. It's daft, I'd have to be slaving away 24/7 to make enough stuff even to cover my expenses, let alone make any profit. I've had no success in determining what exactly the reason was that I needed it, just that the event organizer stated that it was in turn required by his insurer.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Are you part of a club, school, other organisation that already has some kind of insurance policy? If so, you should be able to add one-off cover by contacting the insurer. If you have no such group policy, I would say it will be close to impossible to get temporary one-off cover.

There are lots of venues where you can hire a room in Greystones these days. I would start ringing around to find somewhere else that doesn't have this requirement.

Places to try:

Charlesland Sport & Recreation Centre
    Shoreline Greystones
    Greystones Rugby Club
    Greystones Tennis Club
    Golf clubs
    Local schools
    Greystones Inn
    Parish Centre at Holy Rosary
    St Patrick's church hall
    Scouts hall
    Sea scouts hall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭The Guide

Greystones Theatre / Studios
    Eire Og

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Greystoner

Have tried quite a few places to hire a room for a table top sale, and they all mention the public liability insurance, which is impractical for a 'joe public' like myself.

Is there anybody that can help me get this sale off the ground? It is a great idea (if I say so myself! for the baby/children's good as new sale), has alot of interest from asking around and I am sure would be a success. Setting up the sale is not a profit making deal in itself, and the 'table hire' money could go to the venue direct as a 'charity donation', as long as the advertising costs are covered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement