Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing a PC game for XP on Vista

Options
  • 23-07-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I want to install a game that I used on my laptop (The Simpsons) that says it requires Windows XP, 98, Me or 2000 onto another laptop with Vista. Can I do this without causing harm to the laptop? I got the game maybe 3/4 years ago.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

Installing wont harm it one bit. Now getting it to run might be another story. If you install and it works, then thats good. If it doesnt work try and run it in compatibility mode and it should work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

ive never had a compatibility issue with a game that was post-2000 in vista. mechwarrior 2 was probably one of the only games i ever had an issue with and it was from the mid 90s. having said that, even lemmings ran beautifully.

its software. its not going to hurt your pc it will simply either play or it wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Yes, easily.
    And it will 99% work.

If you cant get it working on vista, right click the .exe game file and under 'properties' set the compatability to Windows XP SP2 and it should be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I have a lovely boxed copy of Grim Fandango that my Vista machine will play fine until I get to the garage and then it dies completely :-( Sigh....still waiting for it to show up on Steam/GOG in a compatible format.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Vim Fuego wrote: »
    I have a lovely boxed copy of Grim Fandango that my Vista machine will play fine until I get to the garage and then it dies completely :-( Sigh....still waiting for it to show up on Steam/GOG in a compatible format.

Have you tried this:
    http://www.grim-fandango.com/comments.php?type=news&id=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Lucyxxx

I put the cd into the drive (there's 3 cds) and started installing it. It said to put the other cd in and it continued installing. Then, I must have put the wrong cd in because it just froze and wouldn't do anything and then said it was the wrong cd. It wouldn't eject and everything froze so I had to just turn it off by taking the battery out.
    I went to try to play it but it said it couldn't when I put it in again. It said something like I had to reinstall or something. So I tried. I pressed reinstall but it says I have to check my internet connection, close all programs and empty the temporary folder. As it's not my laptop, I don't want to delete the files.
    Then I tried to uninstall it by going into control panel and remove programs but it's not there. I can't play it and I can't remove it to reinstall it again.
    Any ideas??
    I tried playing it on an old laptop (it's installed on that) and it said it couldn't. It has directx and I downloaded another one but it still wouldn't play.

Any ideas on what I can do? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

All that follows assumes that the game will work with Vista. It might not!

You might have to go into the C drive and then into Program Files folder and find the appropriate game folder. It might be called The Simpsons or it might be called by the publisher' name - it will say on the disks. it may possibly be published by EA - so look out for something like EA Games or Electronic Arts or some such. Open this folder and make sure that there aren't other games contained within it. Delete the appropriate Simpsons folders. Then you can reinstall.

BTW, I wouldn't ever remove the batteries to switch it off. That could really mess the computer up. You can try to hit the windows key to see if get mouse function and close the install program or even restart the laptop, ctrl, alt + delete (all 3 at the same time) or alt + f4 (again at the same time).

Alternatively, you could just try a different game. There are better out there.

Advertisement