Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic design course

Options
  • 23-07-2010 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi I was just wondering if there is a HIGHLY RECOMENDED graphic design course, either part time or full time.
    I am looking for one which includes photoshop, illustrator and indesign possibly?......any views on the subject are appreciated..thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,571 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While the programs you mention are essential to a graphic designer, they are only tools, and as such are somewhat periphieral to a design course.

Any of the degree courses are going to put in a lot more time on theory and practise of design, the production tools are something you pretty well learn along the way. There probably would be some formal classes (there were not when I did my course, it was figure it out for yourself, though loads of access to good computers and the programs) but it is a long way down the list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Agree with the above, the computer is a tool which you learn in your own time on any graphic design course. The real skill and talent / learning attitude comes from yourself. You have to have a passion for design to get by in one of these courses, the lecturers /experts on these courses are naturally very subjective and difficult as you will have to fight for your own view as a matter of course.

Very early on in these courses you will not only have to learn the tech part, you will be expected to produce, question and defend your own ideas over and over again.

If you have a genuine passion for design then you might just make it through. Those that do make it produce some amazing worthwhile 'stuff'.

I would highly recommend CIT's graphic design course as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tikidibou

I think the Graphic Design for Print Media in FÁS Cabra was good - you can either do it during the day or evening I think

Advertisement