Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad SE Wexford boards..

Options
  • 23-07-2010 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Is the Wexford boards the sadist on this website? Very little activity for the 'Model County'. What about the state of the roads? local politics....lack of employment...Reminiscences of things like thrashing or people in our street (townies) or area. Wexford is a big County. I've yet to traverse it, but I love its people. It is my belief that Wexford people are the most friendly and loyal people in Southern Ireland. Lets talk... I'd love dto hear about "the old days"

I'll start it off by remembering " marbles - lobbers (remember 'chaney alleys)" and "pitch 'n' toss' on the corner of the street in Enniscorthy and the ladies playing 'Pongo' (like 'bingo') in the summer evenings.

try this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If I was any sort of a 'techno' person, I'd be able to embed an image of tumbleweed here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

It's not unique to the Wexford Boards - only yesterday I had a look at some of the northern ones - Derry, Fermanagh, Tyrone, Leitrim, Cavan etc are virtually dead. Days/weeks go by with no posts. I have been thinking for some time that Boards.ie need to run some sort of advertising campaign - flyers in internet cafes etc...I mean how do people find out about Boards. I know nobody else in town here or elsewhere in Ireland who uses Boards.ie - they just don't know about it. I have forgotten how I stumbled across it but it was probably doing a Google search for something.
    That said, some of the inane topics on Wexford Boards such as 'Where in Wexford are you from?' make me want to throw myself under a train. :(

tumbleweedr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

It's because the people in Wexford are narrow minded and backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

I have to agree with OP. The activity on this section of boards is very poor. Cmon Wexford.. get it together! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭'scorthy

JayEnnis wrote: »
    It's because the people in Wexford are narrow minded and backwards.
    Somewhat harsh generalisation there young Jay :rolleyes:.

As a NATIVE , I have great respect for the indigenous Wexford people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

'scorthy wrote: »
    Is the Wexford boards the sadist on this website? V]
    ??? I don't think we're more cruel than anyone else. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

That said, some of the inane topics on Wexford Boards such as 'Where in Wexford are you from?' make me want to throw myself under a train. :(
    Well you better do it fast while we still have trains!:D

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thats happened on the quay more than once.

Reminiscing about Wexford? I remember the guys on street corners in stinky parkas in the rain with nowhere else to go, cos everyone seemed to be unemployed. Stones and the L&N on main street being the only supermarkets (and they were tiny).

The Dun Mhuire roller disco was my favourite place on the planet.

The square in Mannix place being the place to play. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

Is the Wexford boards the sadist on this website? Very little activity for the 'Model County'. What about the state of the roads? local politics....lack of employment...Reminiscences of things like thrashing or people in our street (townies) or area. Wexford is a big County. I've yet to traverse it, but I love its people. It is my belief that Wexford people are the most friendly and loyal people in Southern Ireland. Lets talk... I'd love dto hear about "the old days"

I'll start it off by remembering " marbles - lobbers (remember 'chaney alleys)" and "pitch 'n' toss' on the corner of the street in Enniscorthy and the ladies playing 'Pongo' (like 'bingo') in the summer evenings.

try this

Not necessarily the old days but I was born and bred in Enniscorthy, left for the big smoke for a decent job 10+ years ago! I worked mostly in wexford town before I left and I still miss the warth and laugh I had back in wexford!

I am early 30's but remember dropping in shoes to a cobbler in a lane beside Eric Barrons in Enniscorthy to mend them, I miss country life and the people!!

Somewhat harsh generalisation there young Jay :rolleyes:.

As a NATIVE , I have great respect for the indigenous Wexford people.

Sorry just my experiences from living here more than half my life, It could very well be a generational thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

That "where in Wexford are you from" is pointless and inane.It seems that if a topic warrants discussion it's the same posters debating it.As for the past-leave it behind.There's a lot of stuff out there now that warrants a place on boards.ie and is relevant to the whole county so a few more voices on here would be welcome.There's a lot of knowledge out there so lets share it folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Mostly Enniscorthy stuff but here we go -

* When Vinnies was the Marine Club and used to rock.

* The Un Yoke Nightclub - Dancing, Drink and Wild West Rodeo all compiled into one.

* Picking Strawberries in Jim Kehoe's and Andy Wrigley's... 80p a bucket.

* Alfie Biggins for a Shnack Box.

* Bingo in the Hut

* Being from the Shannon and being slightly afraid to cross the bridge to the 'Far Side'.

* Shannon were Teds, Far Siders were Mods.

* Being afraid to go to Wexford town for fear of being called a Scalder and being run out of town.

* Harry Ringwood's for a haircut.

* Living in Father Cullen's Terrace... the fields behind us were Croke Park, Wembley and St. Andrews all rolled into one.

* Marie's Shop at the bottom of Slaney Street for a quarter of Apple Drops at lunchtime.

* 1942 in Molly's Arcade.

* Thumbing to Wexford with £2 and heading to Caesar's Palace on Anne Street to play the latest arcade games.

* £3 for a bottle of Linden Village.

* Losing my shoe in the thick mud when Gimont Avenue was being built and getting a right bollocking from me Ma as a result.

* Swimming down the Banks when summers were actually warm and sunny.

* The smell down around the Old Bridge once a week when Buttles would dump Pig blood and other crap into the the river.

* The New Bridge being too low.

* The Handball alley.

* Strawberry Fair on the Prom/Abbey Square.

* Community Centre Disco - Puck Quinn Bouncing, Sr. Rita running the shop, 'Never Gonna Give You Up' by Rick Astley and 'China in Your Hands' by T'Pau, Bertie Brooks doing the 'Bop'

* Why is it called 'The 21 Steps' when there aren't 21 steps?

* Playing snooker for the lights in The Ambassador

* Being brought to the Boolavogue Inn by me Da to play pool on a Sunday morning

I'll be back with more...

The memories-You forgot Harry Kings shop in the Shannon when penny sweets were a penny.Do they even sell Linden Village anymore?

The memories-You forgot Harry Kings shop in the Shannon

It was going on my list.. I just couldn't remember Harry's surname.

There was another shop, something similar on the Island Road too. Can't remember the name though.

Remember the old cinema beside Astor Electric? Brr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

jpb1974 - sounds just like growing up in Bray in the 1960/70s. We used to live in terror of bootboys (whatever they were?) and teenagers from Wolfe Tone Square. Even Buttles dumping blood in the river sounds like the Dargle in Bray where raw sewerage used to flow in near where we used to play - nice! :D

Wexford was a great place to grow up... but I suppose back then, being a young kid/teenager things like recession, mortgages & bills were totally foreign to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Ah yes,...the good ol' days.

Pervert priests....unemployment....nuns giving you a good slap....the workhouse.....Ah yes,...those were the days...and dont mention those lovely cruises on the slave ships.

Although the above is true......I am taking the proverbial.

But what about the future of this country....where are our children going to find work...abroad? Where are they going to live...NAMA? Why do we vote-in inadequate councillors and politicians that are more interested in their pockets than the people? Sure,...you can name a few that fight for the right...but they usually get nowhere.

The reason the Irish are all over the world is because there was no future for them here....and judging by the look of things...still is not. Unless you are one of the lucky few who were born into money....you will probably end up without any.

Getting back to Wexford.....Ah those good ol' days........makes me weep!!:rolleyes:

Seriously now people...there is so much that could be done in the county to attract tourist from abroad...and home. Look at Curracloe beach, beautifull, but apart from the beach..what else is there? Take a page out of other countries books...look at the amenities they offer....for instance...Southend in the UK.....I take this as an exaple simply because nearly everyone knows of that location...look at what it has to offer, and I dont need to give an extensive list. Why has there never been any investment to try to upgrade it? "Dont want to spoil it" I hear you say...well that is a matter of opinion....usually an older persons one! Think for one moment about the jobs that would be created, the cash flow for councils and government....yes you also attract crime...but the Garda are supposed to be dealing with that.

That's just one example of many that could be undertaken around the county....we are lucky to have such a great coastline. We need people in power that have vision and the vigour to follow it through...we do not need people that are complacent....spout and shout a great deal...and then go off on a journey at the tax payers expense.

Man...I'm going into one again! Bottom line.....if you do not have leadership at the top.....the bottom has no direction.....and judging by the size of some of the leaders bottoms.....well, decide for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Crap infrastructure... under developed beaches... and general rubbishness.... a DUMP!

Nice one Noffles...........but could you elaborate just a bit.......tell us why you think that. If you give no explanation for your comments how can the powers to be rectify any situation?....if of course they ever do!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Maybe we should be more like kilkenny. Go onto their boards and slag em off, they'll tear you a new one. Someone comes on here and slags off wexford and we join in. They do generally seem to have a more positive outlook.

As a county, what do they have that we dont. Their roads are worse than ours, no coastline, no europort, they do have a castle etc and bit of history but who doesnt. What they do seem to have is a decent leadership regarding their development plan etc, and a population that have a common goal, "brand kilkenny".

What do wexford people do but bitch and moan about their home town, their neighbouring towns etc. How can wexford present a positive image if its people are its worst ambassadors. We make sure and tell people not to go to such a place cos its so rough, bull****.

Maybe i should just move to kilkenny, but that only serves to consolidate the problem. Original thought is frowned upon in this fair county, maybe we should start a new thread, a kind of think tank where good ideas are put forward and only positive contributions are welcome. Might come to nothing but its better than sitting back and whingeing, somebody else might take your idea and run with it if you're not in a position to do so yourself.

• Advertisement

To be honest wexfjord, people slag off when there is something to slag off...but getting to the point you raise about "leadership"....yes, this is the problem in Co.Wexford...not just Wexford town. It is probably better if you live in the "capital" of each county as the services, infrastructure, amenities are better. But live in a more rural surrounding and you notice the difference immediately. No local transport....I see many of the older population walking into town, (Enniscorthy), on a regular occurance, thumbing lifts each way, men & women....Is this a council that cares?
    Then there are the opposite end of the spectrum...kiddies....apart from the new playground there is not really a great deal for them...lets face it, we're in a mostly wet country and trying to entertain young children is not easy. Then there are the young people 18-25ish. If you do not drink, what do you do? Go to the cinema every night, or the swimming pool....and lets not forget that it takes money to do those things...and with most people unemployed...it's not an option, you dont even get concessions for being unemployed...unlike other counries.
    So untill the powers to be get their fingers out of their backsides and start to show that they care about the communities then they will continue to get a well deserved slagging off.
    They're quick off the mark when they want rates, car tax, car duty, paye tax, etc, but ask them to provide a service and you can't find them, or it's not in the next meeting, bla, bla, bla.
    I do not agree that wexford people are the worst ambassadors, just read some of the comments people have written in:
    Graffiti
    Dumped rubbish
    Dog ****e
    Who is ultimately responsible for it? Yes..the people who caused it in the first instance.....but who is responsible for the town/s as a whole...the council...it's their job to make sure, No1. it does not happen. No2. Anyone caught will be prosecuted without fail. No3. to rectify the wrong, and in my opinion, charge the offender for the cost of rectification.
    Perhaps if they were to follow those 3 simple rules we, as a people, might start to have some pride in our surroundings. As I wrote earlier...leadership starts at the top....and if you cant lead....step down and let someone else try.

[QUOTE=Arthurdaly;67092951
    I am early 30's but remember dropping in shoes to a cobbler in a lane beside Eric Barrons in Enniscorthy to mend them, I miss country life and the people!![/QUOTE]
    Oggie Nolan (Nowlan) & Mr. Barron. Loved the smell of the leather and Dettol. Entering the big wooden door with a cord as a handle was like travelling back in time. I'm sorry I didn't have a good camera back then.

I love the debate that has ensued on this thread. So there are Wexford boarders who have balls to say what's on their mind and contribute. Kep it positive and we might be heard by those 'in power'.

I'd really know how decisions are made in Enniscorthy... because it really seems to me that absolutely feck all common sense goes into such decisions.

Take for example the placement of zebra crossings around the town... I've never seen anything so stupid in all my life e.g.

There was one placed between the old bridge and the bottom of Slaney Street. Southward Traffic is so heavy here that if you were heading Northwards you couldn't actually see the people who were crossing the road. They eventually removed this zebra crossing because it was dangerous (€€€ wasted).

Then there was the zebra crossing that was installed at the top of Weafer Street on one of the busiest junctions in the town. This one was eventually removed (€€€ wasted) and relocated (more €€€).

You've a zebra crossing by the Post Office that if you're coming around the roundabout you can barely see... should have been placed about 30ft up closer to the door of the Post Office.

Then the gardening policy - There's a small green on the Corner of The Moyne/Greenville Lane junction that my father kept cut... the Council decided to throw a few plants on one corner of it... it's a total and utter joke... you have to see it to believe it... let me post a picture of it later this week.

Now don't get me started on the Dunnes Stores warehouse entrance on the Island road... where you have to sit in your car for 15 mins as some poor bugger tries to get a 5-axle into a space not much wider than his vehicle.

The parents tell me that they send up a street sweeper to their area maybe 1-2 times a year... the sweeper leaves the dirt in a pile at the side of the road. The council then come to shovel the pile away.... 2 weeks later.

There's lot of fairly young people who are long time Social Welfare claimants... I don't see why they can't get these people out doing a bit around the town instead of handing them money for nothing. Even for the summer months to get a few benches painted and the like.

It's about time the Council brought a few of the locals on-board to allow for some common sense decision making. I'd have glady offered my services for half the money that was wasted on those botched up zebra crossings... and I'm betting that was a pretty sum.

jpb1974 wrote: »
    I'd really know how decisions are made in Enniscorthy... because it really seems to me that absolutely feck all common sense goes into such decisions.

Take for example the placement of zebra crossings around the town... I've never seen anything so stupid in all my life e.g.

There was once placed between the old bridge and the bottom of Slaney Street. Southward Traffic is so heavy here that if you were heading Northwards you couldn't actually see the people who were crossing the road. They eventually removed this zebra crossing because it was dangerous (€€€ wasted).

Then there was the zebra crossing that was installed at the top of Weafer Street on one of the busiest junctions in the town. This one was eventually removed (€€€ wasted) and relocated (more €€€).

You've a zebra crossing by the Post Office that if you're coming around the roundabout you can barely see... should have been placed about 30ft up closer to the door of the Post Office.

Then the gardening policy - There's a small green on the Corner of The Moyne/Greenville Lane junction that my father kept cut... the Council decided to throw a few plants on one corner of it... it's a total and utter joke... you have to see it to believe it... let me post a picture of it later this week.

Now don't get me started on the Dunnes Stores warehouse entrance on the Island road... where you have to sit in your car for 15 mins as some poor bugger tries to get a 5-axle into a space not much wider than his vehicle.

The parents tell me that they send up a street sweeper to their area maybe 1-2 times a year... the sweeper leaves the dirt in a pile at the side of the road. The council then come to shovel the pile away.... 2 weeks later.

There's lot of fairly young people who are long time Social Welfare claimants... I don't see why they can't get these people out doing a bit around the time instead of handing them money for nothing. Even for the summer months to get a few benches painted and the like.

It's about time the Council brought a few of the locals on-board to allow for some common sense decision making. I'd have glady offered my services for half the money that was wasted on those botched up zebra crossings... and I'm betting that was a pretty sum.

I agree with you on every single point you made, I don't get how the council in this town works at all. As far as I'm concerned they're just a bunch of out of touch old men in it for the money.

The total and utter lack of common sense is astonishing.

Crossings...a disaster...I'm surprised no one has been killed. If you miss the pedestrian on on of them at the post office, you get a second chance at any one of the other exits...it's a joke until someone is injured. Anyhoo..in reference to Jay's comment..." As far as I'm concerned they're just a bunch of out of touch old men in it for the money.." I think they were once young with great ideas and enthusiasm but it was stifled by the archaic system of party politics. A 'Council' should be made up of citizens who are interested in making a sincere contribution to their locality. We don't need puppets who follow the party line and dare think outside the box.

Just imagine using this logic in private business-p45's galore.The semi state bodies have so much management that actually have no role it's astonishing.You can't blame all the workers-although the older staff on the ground are institutionalised into just passing the day and doing the bare amount-I have personal experience of this from a few years ago when doing some contract work-THEY ACTUALLY TOLD ME TO SLOW DOWN ON THE 1st DAY BECAUSE WE COULD GET A WEEK OUT OF WHAT WOULD TAKE 2 DAYS!!!

That's it there's no independent thinking encouraged.

Just take the lack of amenities for children/teenagers. What's decided on?

Build another playground :rolleyes:

Why not a skatepark?

An arcade with a coffee shop for young people to hang out in (I know there's an arcade but you can't really hang out in it, I'm talking more like a leisureplex crossed with starbucks/O'briens)

An athletics track in the town that could be used by all clubs, athletics is big in Wexford.

And another thing that annoys me is the general lack of progress. Take the whole Tesco debacle for instance. It could have created plenty of Jobs and provided good facilities for the town, however because the small businesses who don't really provide a great service to their customers all petitioned against it and the council sided with them instantly. Businesses worthy of staying open would have survived.

Just on the issue of people being negative about their county -

I think it's fair to say that anyone posting here is doing so in the best interest of their town/county.

We'd all be the first to offer words of gratitude if positive things were happening around the town/county.

We're not here to bash for the sake of bashing... we're here to call a spade a spade.

• Advertisement

jpb1974 wrote: »
    It was going on my list.. I just couldn't remember Harry's surname.

There was another shop, something similar on the Island Road too. Can't remember the name though.

Remember the old cinema beside Astor Electric? Brr...
    Astor Electric IS the old cinema. The white goods are down where the screen use to be. When I paid a brass thrupence to see a Sunday matinee with Old Mother Reilly or the Three Stoogies it looked like a huge cavern inside...now it's rather diminished with age and electrical stock.

Was the shop on the Island road Bill Pears? Not sure but I remember when the bingo use to be in the old Astor cinema shed across the road from it (L&M Motors now I think).

Would it be possible JPB1974 to start a new thread like "...What I remember about Enniscorthy..." and another one "...What really grinds my gears..." and "...What I think of Enniscorthy Town Council..."

Advertisement